VectorLinux
November 21, 2014, 03:39:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: new system strange cpu readings?  (Read 686 times)
haywire
Vectorian

« on: July 03, 2010, 01:00:02 am »

My dual core 3ghz machine is all but dead, moved to a 2ghz dell I had around. Seems around the same, not much difference but one strange thing, when I run taskmanager or gkrellm, while sitting idle the cpu is at 95% or something like this.
This is while running compiz. compiz off, it goes down to like 5%

As I recall, my 3ghz box hovered around 10% even with compiz on.

Is compiz really sapping that much cpu time on THIS box,and if so why or how do I rein in whatever is sapping the cpu?

Again this seems strange because although the system is showing 95% load, still seems pretty snappy and everything works.

Never seen this before, but then never ran compiz on less than my 3ghz machine.

Steven
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 04:06:18 am »

What does top  show?

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 04:19:44 am »

Not sure I understand what you mean...

Top of what?

Steven
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 04:20:39 am »

I'd wonder about graphics cards. If your 3GHz machine has a decent graphics card and the 2 GHz machine is using onboard graphics? If Compwiz doesn't have decent hardware acceleration, it tends to drag a lot of CPU power.

Paul.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 04:22:21 am »

Not sure I understand what you mean...

Top of what?

Steven

Smiley Try htop instead - ita an improved version of top. It will give you a process list and show what is using the most CPU. You may be able to work out what is causing the high usage from that. Or post the results and see if anyone can pick the culprit.

Paul.
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 04:31:53 am »

I realized what he meant after I asked... DOH

Ran top, according to that, x is using 59-60% of the cpu even at idle. Compiz is using 20%

Its a nvidia card in this box, but an older one. I can find the exact model but the box is kinda buried, couple a year old card, I think 64 megs ram on it.
All I can think is that toothandnail is right,the gpu sucks so the system is sapping the cpu.

Interestingly, If I switch window managers from compiz to xfce4, the x now takes 3% cpu instead of 60%.
I've never seen this happen before with any other machines I've tried vector/compiz on.

My newer 512 meg nvidia card won't fit in this machine, its a dell gx260, it will only fit a low profile agp card.
Any suggestions before I trying a balls to the wall fast low profile agp nvidia card?

Kinda pissed to go from 3 to 2ghz machine, and on top of it worse video I guess. at least I saved the ram and hard drives from the dying beast.

Steven

« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 04:41:44 am by haywire » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: