VectorLinux
December 20, 2014, 11:44:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: USB to ide adapter - no go?  (Read 3389 times)
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 03:15:09 am »

Just use VASM to mount sda1. It should populate the line with the required information to allow your user account to access the drive. It should look something like this in /etc/fstab:

Code:
/dev/sdb5          /          ext4          defaults     0     1

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 05:09:11 am »

Try this command:
Code:
ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/hd
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2010, 05:59:25 am »

Ok, I may have an answer for you...

First of all, according to the messages log, you have vl-hot activated, so it falls in my bailiwick... Grin
Second, you don't need to change permissions or anything, as vl-hot runs with root level access, but mounts the drive so it is writable by normal users.
Third, as this is an NTFS partition, vl-hot calls ntfs-3g to mount it.
Fourth, ntfs-3g is obviously failing to mount the partition, as you can see in these messages:
Code:
Jul  7 22:49:58 vector vl-hot_mount: Mounting NTFS-3G filesystem /dev/vl-hot/sda1 on /mnt/vl-hot/vl-hot
Jul  7 22:49:58 vector vl-hot_mount: Command: ntfs-3g /dev/vl-hot/sda1 /mnt/vl-hot/vl-hot -o user,noatime,uid=root,gid=users,fmask=0111,dmask=0000,nls=iso8859-1,rw
Jul  7 22:49:58 vector vl-hot_mount: ERROR: mounting of /dev/vl-hot/sda1 on /mnt/vl-hot/vl-hot failed...

This points to the most probable problem and solution: NTFS partitions that were improperly unmounted in windows have a marker in the filesystem which says it is "dirty". For safety reasons, ntfs-3g will not mount such a partition unless you use the "-o force" option. You can solve this in one of 3 ways:

1- use the drive in windows and let it do any filesystem checks.
2- run vl-hot-config from the menu and mark the "Force" option, then plug in the drive again.
3- use ntfs-3g manually in a console: ntfs-3g -o force "device" "mountpoint"

Hope this helps... Wink

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2010, 06:21:16 am »

ntfs is just a pain in the neck. I hate everything about it

haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2010, 06:39:38 am »

Heya guys...

Well I finally got it working thanks to everyone's help...

I guess the first problem was the jumper was on cable select so vector didn't see it at all...

After fixing that you guys were right I guess the drive was dorked somehow so it was getting locked and was a real pain...

I ran the commands you mention to force the drive, then rebooted. Back to square one....
Next I re-ran vasm telling it to mount all drives...

So finally, now my hard drive is in the /mnt/vl-hot/vl-hot folder where I suppose it should have been since I plugged it in...
Can I ask a stupid question... What happens if I plug in another one of these ide drives with another ide/usb adapter...

I mean like will it automount the new drive too and where will the folder be? I guess I mean what happens in that vl-hot directory if you have 3 drives plugged into usb?

I'm asking because I happen to have a crapload of drives around that are 80-120 gigs and also some more adapters... AND an 8 port usb hub...
YAY lots of hard drives anyone?

Smiley

Thank you all immensely for helping me so I can save some of my hair for other aggravating things. Smiley

Steven

Andy Price
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2010, 08:18:03 am »

A long shot: I remember a thread about permission problems on an external tape drive and it was connected with udev, required a new rule or something:

http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=11723.msg74175#msg74175
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2010, 09:24:59 am »

So finally, now my hard drive is in the /mnt/vl-hot/vl-hot folder where I suppose it should have been since I plugged it in...
Can I ask a stupid question... What happens if I plug in another one of these ide drives with another ide/usb adapter...

I mean like will it automount the new drive too and where will the folder be? I guess I mean what happens in that vl-hot directory if you have 3 drives plugged into usb?
The logic vl-hot uses for deciding the mountpoint is the following:

1- Use the drive label configured by the user in vl-hot-config.
2- If no user-configured label, use the existing partition label.
3- If none of the above, use "vl-hot"

If you plug in several drives that need point "3" above, it would number them: vl-hot, vl-hot1, vl-hot2, etc...

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2010, 06:39:44 pm »

Thanks Joe at least I know what to expect if I do build a usb sort of storage array.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2010, 04:41:50 am »

Educational thread, Steven. Just to add some opinions: If you want a "storage array", I think there are better solutions than multiple drives on USB adapters, on a USB hub. The confusion of all those wires and dynamic mounting could lead to significant hair loss.

If you have the components to put together a basic computer (Pentium 3 class is plenty), you could make yourself a network server. That might be a fun and rewarding project.

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2010, 04:50:20 am »

Not to mention, not sure what the power drain of all those USB devices would do to your system. I would imagine at some point, there would be adverse effects if you had too many hooked up at once with the devices not getting enough power to operate efficiently.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2010, 06:39:28 pm »

Not to mention, not sure what the power drain of all those USB devices would do to your system. I would imagine at some point, there would be adverse effects if you had too many hooked up at once with the devices not getting enough power to operate efficiently.

Many external hard drives plug into wall power. If they're connected to a USB hub, use a powered USB hub. Then there's no drain on the system.

I regularly have three external hard drives hooked up at once to my computer when I'm doing backups. Never a power problem, never any confusion on my part or the system's about which is which.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2010, 03:12:54 am »

The usb/ide adapters I found on ebay are like 6$ including shipping. They include an external power source for the hard drive. For 6$ I think its a great little device especially for doing backups or just transferring files between boxes.  They come from hong kong so it takes weeks and weeks to ship, but hey for that price, its worth the wait.

I think a usb based sort of server is a better idea for me, less headaches, just plug and play. I considered just getting a 1TB drive for cheap, but I happen to have 6 or 10 80-120 gig drives laying around, and honestly having seperate drives about that size helps me to organize myself better and no hassles of breaking that 1TB drive up into logical drives.
You know like one hard drive just for graphic files, one hard drive just for mp3's, one drive just for my .wav drum loops and audio samples and so on. Most of my work I am doing on my linux box now, so it would probably stay connected to that most of the time. If I needed something, just switch the cable to another pc.

I thought I had an old school ATA power supply around, you know one of those with the power switch that just turns on but apparently not, so if anyone has one for trade or sale cheap... let me know. I'm going to try building this usb deal in the next couple of weeks. I think everything will just sit inside an old AT desktop case I do have around. (power adapters, usb hub, adapters and so on. Gotta order a BUNCH of those usb/ide adapters today.

Steven

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2010, 06:07:31 am »

I thought I had an old school ATA power supply around, you know one of those with the power switch that just turns on but apparently not, so if anyone has one for trade or sale cheap... let me know.

I have one in my junk pile recycling repo. You may have it for the cost of shipping.

I think I understand your plan: put the drives in a case and hook them up to the power supply so you can turn all on and off with the switch. You won't even need the power bricks that come with the adapters. If you give each drive partition a unique label, vl-hot will mount them at the same point each time. The PSU also has a switched outlet on it. You could make a cable to connect to the power supply for the USB hub.

I'll toss in a P3-600 CPU + mobo + 256 MB RAM + ATX PSU + NIC + vcard, if you want that as well.

Now that I think about it, this sounds like something I'd cobble together. Once I stuffed a case full of drives and made a file server. It was an AT case, but after a "hack" (think hack saw and power tools) it had all ATX innards. The PSU was too weak to drive everything, so I added a secondary one, which btw is the one I'm offering you. You can see it in this picture: http://stefanussen.net/tmp/at2atx.jpg
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 09:39:57 am by nightflier » Logged
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2010, 09:15:33 am »

Sounds perfect nightflier, but I just broke the bank literally booking stuff for my wedding. Give me a week or so and I'll send you whatever the shipping is by paypal if thats cool.

I also have a big huge old school full tower case. I was thinking maybe since my latest vector computer is a slimline desktop case.... Maybe I can cram the motherboard and the usb thing into one monster case, but either way I'll need that second power supply, kinda like in your pic, but all inside the one case, motherboard, usb adapters, second power supply,
and a big load of ide hard drives. Smiley

Actually I also have one of those pci ide adapters too, but it didn't work on my old machine (shitty intel desktop motherboard) I think it will work on this board.
That means, I could technically have 4 ide devices from the motherboard, 4 ide devices from the extra pci card... then 6 ide devices connected via usb/ide adapters and this 6 port usb hub I have... 14 hard drives is kind of sickening, but that would make one hell of a main machine for storing EVERYTHING.... If I build that beast...Maybe eventually I could upgrade this shitty 2ghz motherboard to a quad core. That would be my dream machine. Do you know how many watts that power supply is? 350 ought to do 6 or 10 3-1/2 ide drives (I think?) Anyone know how many watts the average 3-1/2 inch hard drive takes to run?

I could just put this shitty little dell power supply in the beast for powering the motherboard and cd-rom/boot drives.

Oh and that picture looks like one of my frankenstein computers... Duck tape and all. My girlfriend hates that. She always says "Can't we just have a normal computer like everyone else?" hahaha.

Steven

« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 09:18:10 am by haywire » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: