VectorLinux
November 25, 2014, 02:54:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: how do I set toshset? (SOLVED-with 6.0 KDE Classic)  (Read 4896 times)
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« on: July 07, 2010, 12:14:11 am »

I just installed VL 6.0 on a Toshiba Satellite A35 S159, a beautiful laptop recently given to never_stop_learning's computers for kids program. I had to use acpi=off, edd=off and a strong table fan to install, though some of that might have been overkill.

Everything seems to work, except logout, restart and shutdown.  I installed Toshset but that didn't seem to help and I can't seem to start toshset from the command line (get something like a not enabled in kernel message).

Anyone with some thoughts on how to get logout, restart and shutdown to work?  Caitlyn?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 07:30:14 am by sledgehammer » Logged

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 09:04:31 pm »

Being told that installing with acpi=off and edd=off may have been the problem, and figuring my problem was probably only heat, I installed a clean VL6.0 again, this time normally.  Didn't help.  The log out and restart don't work (I haven't tried shutdown yet but doubt it works either).

When I run toshset, I get a "required kernel toshiba support not enabled" error.

bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 03:33:17 am »

In /boot there should be a config file.

Try this command:

cat /boot/<the config file name no brackets> | grep CONFIG_TOSHIBA

See if the Toshiba support is enabled.

If not you need to rebuild the kernel.

HTH

Bigpaws
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 05:38:56 am »

thanks bigpaws,

It didn't work.

upon running the cat command as per your post, I got

CONFIG_TOSHIBA=m
CONFIG_TOSHIBA_FIR=m

which encouraged me.

However, same error when trying to run toshset.

On the off-chance that a later version of toshset might work, I downloaded toshset 1.76. It configured, but would not make or make install.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 06:39:49 am »

Did you check lsmod to see of the modules loaded
before trying the program?

Bigpaws
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 06:50:47 am »

btw, are you guys still doing that computer recycling program? I watched the videos you guys posted some time ago. Looks cool

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 07:45:06 am »

bigpaws,

I will have to check when I get home tonight. The below is obviously wrong as I am not on the toshiba.

It does not show in lsmod so I gather it is not loaded.  I am not sure how to load it.  I installed it from the vector repository. 

M0E-lnx,

yes.  The Reno Host Lions Computers for Kids program is doing very well.  We have given out over 400 computers to date, all to kids sponsored by charities or local schools.  One of the local highschools is now sending us their brightest kids and to watch them go to town on VL6.0 is truly inspiring. This Toshiba laptop will be a prized possession of one of them, unless we decide to raffle it off to raise money for hard drives (most business donors remove the hard drive before donating their computers to us).  We might do some kind of a contest with it as the prize.  Never_stop_learning is the program's spark plug. 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 07:51:37 am by sledgehammer » Logged

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 08:47:51 am »

Nice. I think what you guys are doing is great man.
Keep uploading them videos, I enjoy watching them. I keep telling my wife, that when we do have a kid, he will be coding python by the time he's in 2nd grade. (she thinks i'm crazy of course Wink )

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 09:37:35 am »

Be prepared for the kids to shun everything technical. My 3 girls could care less what makes the computer work, as long as it works.  Cheesy

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 10:13:34 am »

lol... so I'm guessing ... widnows users?

I've had serious talks with my wife. I've made it clear that we will breed no windows users. lol

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 07:28:40 am »

Did you check lsmod to see of the modules loaded
before trying the program?

Bigpaws

I checked and toshset is not loaded.  I tried modprobe toshset and it said something like "program not found."

bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 08:21:42 am »

Try modprobe toshiba_acpi

Then see if lsmod looks similar to this.

$ lsmod | grep toshiba
toshiba_acpi            6444  0

Bigpaws
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 05:28:21 pm »

I tried it but don't think it worked. I reinstalled toshset from the repository.  Here is what I got:

.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| toshset (Toshiba laptop BIOS settings tool)                                 |
|                                                                             |
| Toshset is a command-line tool allowing access to much of the               |
| Toshiba hardware interface. It can do things like control                   |
| display brightness, set the fan speed, and enable the optional              |
| Bluetooth interface.  Credit for the reverse-engineering the Toshiba        |
| hardware interface goes to others, principly Jonathan Buzzard.              |
|                                                                             |
| License: GNU Public License, version 2                                      |
| Author:  Charles Schwieters <Charles@Schwieters.org>                        |
| Website: http://schwieters.org/toshset.html                                 |
'-----------------------------------------------------------------------------'

Removing package toshset-1.73-i586-1vl60-upgraded-2010-07-09,18:26:16...

vector://usr/bin
root:# modprobe toshiba_acpi
FATAL: Error inserting toshiba_acpi (/lib/modules/2.6.27.12/kernel/drivers/acpi/toshiba_acpi.ko): No such device
vector://usr/bin
root:#

never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 10:15:23 am »

sledgehammer asked me to take a look at this Toshiba and I finally got it to work with Vector.....Just not VL 6.0 STD:

VL 6.0 Light Live and VL 6.0 KDE Live both rebooted from the Live CD flawlessly. I chose KDE Live because the Toshiba is a P4 with 1gb of RAM and handles it with ease.

First, though, I tried updating the 6.0 STD kernel to 2.6.27.29 on the existing installation thinking that the older 2.6.27.12 in 6.0 STD may be the issue - but that did not work. Interestingly, 2.6.30.8 worked, but the video was jumping all over the screen so I didn't go there.

After installing the 6.0 KDE Live CD to the HD, I had to Log Out and reboot from the KDM log-in screen. After that, everything seems to be working normally.

I want to use it for a couple of days to make sure that we are OK and, if it doesn't break, a young person will have an excellent laptop running 6.0 KDE.....

Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 09:24:01 pm »

sledgehammer asked me to take a look at this Toshiba and I finally got it to work with Vector.....Just not VL 6.0 STD:

VL 6.0 Light Live and VL 6.0 KDE Live both rebooted from the Live CD flawlessly. I chose KDE Live because the Toshiba is a P4 with 1gb of RAM and handles it with ease.

First, though, I tried updating the 6.0 STD kernel to 2.6.27.29 on the existing installation thinking that the older 2.6.27.12 in 6.0 STD may be the issue - but that did not work. Interestingly, 2.6.30.8 worked, but the video was jumping all over the screen so I didn't go there.

After installing the 6.0 KDE Live CD to the HD, I had to Log Out and reboot from the KDM log-in screen. After that, everything seems to be working normally.

I want to use it for a couple of days to make sure that we are OK and, if it doesn't break, a young person will have an excellent laptop running 6.0 KDE.....

Posting from the Toshiba running 6.0 KDE Classic Live installed to the HD with no boot prompts - everything is working wonderfully. Shutdown and reboot work normally. Temp is normal. The battery in this laptop is shot, so I can't verify the battery monitor (although it does state that the laptop is plugged in and charging).

Installed OpenOffice and Blender and updated the system. We should get a new battery from ebay and this is ready to find a new home with a deserving young person.  Cool

Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: