VectorLinux
October 22, 2014, 02:46:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: making custom icons  (Read 556 times)
haywire
Vectorian

« on: July 07, 2010, 01:24:54 am »

I wanted to make some custom icons for my desktop. Does anyone know what program I should be using so I can define the transparent area of a png icon?

Steven
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 04:28:13 am »

GIMP
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 03:12:35 pm »

nightflier,

Your right works great. I think I was looking for an iconedit specific program because there are many for windows...

Gimp worked great once I googled a bit to figure out how to do the transparent stuff. Luckily, there are plenty of gimp tutorials online.

Here's my new desktop complete with custom icons (on the top panel) for linux, windows, amiga and msdos hard drive icons.

http://www.subcultureproductions.com/vector.png

I found the linux and windows ones and just made the dos/amiga hd one from them.

I like this alot, I can get to anything I want (everywhere I want) easier this way.

Thanks Nightflier...

Steven

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 04:58:58 pm »

You're a fast learner.  Smiley  That desktop looks awesome!
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 06:32:48 pm »

Thanks alot, and remember I'm learning fast because I've had great help here from people like you.

The ramdisk icon opens the resizable ramdisk, you helped me learn to make that I think remember?
My downloads go there, temp files and so on. On reboot they are gone. Keeps things very tidy.

My old system dying is a chance to reboot my desktop... Here is the old desktop before the major crash :
http://www.subcultureproductions.com/files/screenshot.png

New desktop looks better I think. I still have to make the browsing quick launch panel on my new desktop.
The more I use linux, especially vector, the more I love it. Its awesome being able to run linux,windows, dos, and especially my old amiga apps.
Now I have 1800 amiga games, plus about 500 dos games loaded. I may never get any real work done.

Gotta learn more about using wine because I was using virtualbox with xp on my old box for everything but this new pc is 2ghz and xp in
virtualbox is no pleasure to use. I think most of my art programs and things will work with wine, but I haven't tried yet.
I also need to find some cooler fonts and figure out switching the system fonts around.

Steven

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: