VectorLinux
December 22, 2014, 04:25:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: I screwed up... bad...  (Read 2724 times)
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: July 14, 2010, 05:58:35 am »

I was doing some maintenance on a box @ home which serves as a file/print server. Just did a brand new install, so I wanted to clear up a bunch of junk I had left over and just save the data contained in one partition which is the one that holds the files served, the important data I want to keep goes in this partition, everything else that I can do without goes elsewhere.

So, I'm cleaning out the drives with gparted, and next thing I know, I have completely wiped out all partitions in my /dev/sdc. The important stuff was in /dev/sdc3

my /dev/sdc is a 250GB Sata drive, and after the dissaster, now holds a single ext4 partition. I'm not even sure what fs I used to have in /dev/sdc3 before the wipe, but I get the feeling it would be ext3, since I need to access this data from pre and post ext4 support linuxes.

So now, the question is... What are the chances of getting this data back?
is it at all possible?

I now face another problem... in case it is possible.
This is my biggest drive in the box. Other than this, I have /dev/sda and /dev/sdb both of which are 40GB each and my OS is running off /dev/sda1 on 20GB
meaning, I have a combined free space of about 60GB outside of /dev/sdc.

Help!

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 06:23:11 am »

I once used testdisk to recover an entire drive that had gotten corrupted. I'd say make that your first stop:
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

You would want to have a place to copy any recovered files to. If 60G is not enough, I see a shopping trip in your future.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 06:33:15 am »

You would want to have a place to copy any recovered files to. If 60G is not enough, I see a shopping trip in your future.

I was a fraid of this... Luckily, there is a frys right next door to where I work. Now, this is not the newest board around, would a sata3 drive work with old sata/sata2 connections? this sata thing is new to me.. lol

Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 06:54:44 am »

I have also succesfully used testdisk to recover removed partitions. It simply reestablished them and everything was back.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 07:10:59 am »

I have also succesfully used testdisk to recover removed partitions. It simply reestablished them and everything was back.

Did you have to store it to a separate drive too?

in my case, I have not only deleted the entire partition (all of them) but re-created a new ext4 partition covering the whole drive

Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 07:23:58 am »

Did you have to store it to a separate drive too?
No.

in my case, I have not only deleted the entire partition (all of them) but re-created a new ext4 partition covering the whole drive
Try it and see if it finds the previous partitions.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 07:27:20 am »

It doesn't see the preivous partitions. it only sees the new 250gb partition

Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 07:31:14 am »

Dang! I seem to recall a similar situation to yours and it worked. Maybe I didn't actually get to create a new partition? I can't remember 100%. Maybe you should try removing that partition and trying again? AFAICT, it can't make matters worse, can it?   Huh

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 07:33:14 am »

I read somewhere that every time you try the restore technique, you decrease your chances of getting the data back

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 08:07:34 am »

Don't know why it would be that way as all you're doing is restoring the pointers contained in the file tables.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 08:56:45 am »

Just got back from lunch, and stopped by the local frys. Found a 500GB Sata drive for $44.00 and bought it just in case I need to do store the data somewhere else. By now, I've lost my remote connection to the box, so I wont be able to do anything to it until this evening. Sad

MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 09:35:19 am »

Testdisk should allow a "deeper" search for partitions. In that search I believe (have to check the website) it actually searches the full disk vs. just the MFT. I don't know that you can do that remotely. I would expect it to find the data but if not photorec (by the same people) will find files that you've deleted long ago. I have used it on a few occasions and recovered data that I really didn't need to recover but it found the files anyway. What I would recommend most though is that you do not do any write operations to the disk until you are satisfied the partition is recoverable or you "give up" on it.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 09:50:48 am »

So, with MikeCindi's last comment, I guess I should leave the single partition I got there untouched, until the data is recovered or I decide to call it quits

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 09:53:25 am »

Oh definitely! The more you fiddle with things and write information to the drive, the less likely it will be you are able to restore the drive to its former glory.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 09:54:44 am »

Ok.. Thanks guys for the suggestions... I think I got enough information to put a plan together and go for it.

Will post back with results after the operation is done.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: