VectorLinux
September 01, 2014, 07:59:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: No new news? Here's a bit....  (Read 1432 times)
nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« on: July 14, 2010, 01:39:41 pm »

No one has posted on this thread in quite a while.  OK.  That means it's "Open Season" here.  I just have to "brag" or I think I will bust.  Last night my only child (my darling daughter-who-returned-to college-at-age-30),...just graduated from nursing school with a great ceremony here.  Also,........she will have my second grandchild (a girl!!!!!!) this very next week.  May I gloat a bit here?  (can't help it,....).  My 94 year old Mom is just so very proud also.  Remember the "old" days when they used to pass out cigars with the words "It's a Girl" on 'em?  Well,...none of our family ever smoked,...so it never applied then, either,................but I am passing out some good will and wishes and such in their place. .....(Fellow Vectorians,...I am passing out "virtual" cigar kind of thingys,...).  Me happy.  Sorry,..just had to share my happiness.
(and I have to add a "thank you" to Vector Linux for letting me use my older computers to send/receive emails,..pictures,....info,..etc. etc. etc. etc.) Grin
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 01:56:22 pm by nitehawk » Logged
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 04:10:45 pm »

Congratulations to your daughter and to you! So much excitement in such a short time.

Be sure to make an announcement here when the new baby arrives.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 04:41:58 pm »

This is all very exciting news. While I don't have any grandchildren yet I hear that they are even better than your kids. (Perhaps you and GG can better speak to that though.)
Mike

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 06:55:41 pm »

Congratulations. May you enjoy lots of happy times with the grandchildren.
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 04:04:30 am »

Call me a throwback, old school, non-PC, etc. I STILL like a good cigar!  Grin

Congrats!

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 05:47:50 am »

Congrats indeed Wink

nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 09:03:09 am »

Hey,...thanks everyone, for all the good will.  Yeah,...I'll make the official announcement when it comes.  And It's kind of true that grandkids are better (almost) than your kids,.....'cause you can just spoil 'em and get away with it (then pass 'em on back to mummy an' daddy)  Grin
  My grandson is 4 1/2,....and is a SUPER handful!!!!  (gotta love him, though).  So now I'll have TWO to run after and babysit.  (OK,...I admit,..even tho' my avatar and username is "incognito",...I'm a very proud grandma). 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 09:05:17 am by nitehawk » Logged
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 09:52:14 am »

Hey,...thanks everyone, for all the good will.  Yeah,...I'll make the official announcement when it comes.  And It's kind of true that grandkids are better (almost) than your kids,.....'cause you can just spoil 'em and get away with it (then pass 'em on back to mummy an' daddy)  Grin
  My grandson is 4 1/2,....and is a SUPER handful!!!!  (gotta love him, though).  So now I'll have TWO to run after and babysit.  (OK,...I admit,..even tho' my avatar and username is "incognito",...I'm a very proud grandma). 

Huh!... for some reason, I thought you were a guy ... dont picture that many grandma's using linux Wink

My appologies.

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 03:17:23 pm »

Huh!... for some reason, I thought you were a guy ... dont picture that many grandma's using linux Wink

Hey! There are at least two of us on this board plus some admitted grampas.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 03:24:55 pm »

And It's kind of true that grandkids are better (almost) than your kids,.....'cause you can just spoil 'em and get away with it (then pass 'em on back to mummy an' daddy)  Grin

I was going to say the same thing about the advantages of being a grandparent rather than a parent. We can have fun with the grandkids but when we get tired, they go home. Not the case when you're a parent!

You're lucky you get to babysit. Our grandchildren live too far away for us to do more than just rare babysitting. Our oldest is 14 and our youngest will be 6 in August.
--GrannyGeek

tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 01:46:32 am »

nitehawk,

I don't know how to express my feelings, except to say:

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 12:18:07 am »

My appologies.
Ha!  Guess I'm a bit different.  Use to work as an "Instrumentation Technician" at a local orange-juice producing plant for several years (working on gauges, meters, scales, and low-voltage electronic devices).  Fell in love with computers back with the C64 (then got my 286 computer, and thought that was the ultimate!  Oh yeah,..guess it helped that my brother (recently retired) was an Electronics Tech (but a die-hard M$ guy,...won't even touch Linux).  After I graduated from SUNY (State U of NY) in '91,...I took some computer programming classes in Tampa.  So,...all of us "grandmas" don't actually fit the stereotypes, I guess. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: