VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Repairing Alsa  (Read 1486 times)

stanz0

Repairing Alsa
« on: August 08, 2010, 08:16:41 pm »

Hello Gentlefolks.

For some unknown reason, alsa got messed up on my installation of VL6.

I could issue any command line controlls to amixer for example, and there was no sound from any app.

I regret to say, that I didnt remember to do the audio channel tests.

In any case, I decided to reinstall alsa. (Quite Drastic, I admit).

Well, Gslapt couldnt REinstall it - so I decided on removing it -then installing it again. I would have no such luck.

The package alsa-driver (which I removed) is now, nowhere to be found in my package list.

It is in no VL repo, nor is it on the CD.  (heh, no wonder glapt couldnt reinstall it ; o)

I'd love for someone to lead me in a method, of restoring alsa in such the way that VL does it upon installation.

This is if I were to try compiling the original alsa SOURCE, I gather I would have to recompile my kernel.

I dont want to recompile my kernel! :\
(so bare with me)

Thanks!

roarde

• Vectorian
  • move the needle
Re: Repairing Alsa
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 09:08:18 pm »

Alsa-driver packages are in the kernels repo http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/kernels/drivers/. Gslapt doesn't see it because it's locked out in Gslapt's (slapt-get's) config file, slapt-getrc. At this time, Vector isn't set up for automatic kernel/module updates, thus the lockout.

Sorry not to provide enough info to fix the problem. Falling asleep, but wanted to post at least some info, as it's typically not a good night/time for frequent responses here. Real help will, I'm sure, appear later.
Robert
VL 7.1 Light RC 2

stanz0

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 04:30:36 pm »

Hey Sixforty,

AH Yes, I remember that menu :)

Thanks much for the clarification.

Hope you had a good rest.

stanz0

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 07:31:32 pm »

Well, Alsa is installed, but alsaconf does not find my ESS maestro Sound card    (Dell Inspiron 8100).

Anyone have any Ideas?

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 04:01:30 am »

After installing the alsa-driver package (the one made specifically for your kernel), you need to run command:
depmod -aq