VectorLinux
August 30, 2014, 08:15:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost access to Home partition <solved>  (Read 808 times)
InTheWoods
Vectorite

« on: July 20, 2010, 02:06:52 pm »

I have a hard drive with four partitions and two seperate installations of vector6.0 on them. I have lost the ability to access the home partition of the main installation, Vector 6.0 standard.

I recently unsuccesfully tried to install "Tiny Core" Linux on partition hda4. This computer can not be forced to boot from the CD drive. That is why I keep two installations on it so that I can install from a downloaded ISO to the unmounted partition.

When I reinstalled Vector 6.0 Light to hda4, the home partition for Vector 6.0 Standard on hda3 disappeared from the view of the main installation. I can still boot as root which is on hda2 but accessing hda3 in any way from the main installation brings up a message that the partition/file does not exist. The partition and the files on it do exist and are accessible from the Vector Light installation on hda4.

I did reinstall lilo from the Standard installation and the 'fstab' file appears to be correct

Is there anything I can do to recover access to the home partition of the main installation without moving the files off and reinstalling?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 07:17:58 pm by InTheWoods » Logged
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 03:41:32 pm »

You probably need to move the location of your /home/<username> directory.

You will need to make some changes for your situation

/dev/sda1=root partition
/dev/sda6="home partition"

1. mount /dev/sda5 /mnt
2. cp -R /home/* /mnt
3. add line to /etc/fstab

/dev/sda6 /home ext3 defaults 0 0

4. reboot
5. once sure you have everything you can umount
/dev/sda6 and then delete everything on (the old) /home

HTH

Bigpaws
InTheWoods
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 05:35:42 pm »

I am not sure that I understand. I thought sda was for sata drives or even USB drives. I have an older laptop and drive is identified as hda.

If you are sugesting that I make a new partition and then mount it as the new 'home', I don't have room to do that. I would have to move the data off the machine and at that point I might as well do a fresh install.

A little more information
If I log in as root and go to /mnt there is no hda3 partition showing. Similarily I can not mount the hda3 partition because the OS does not recognize it's presence. Even though the OS on hda4 does.

If I cd to /home it goes directly to the base of the hda4 installation. I can acces anything on the hda4 partition through the hda2 /home directory instead of accessing the hda3 files through the /home directory as it should.

Is there not some way to remap the system so that /home points to hda3 as it should

bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 06:40:32 pm »

You need to remap the /home partition which was the point
I was trying to across.

The last post I made needed to edited for your situation.

No I did not mean to add another /home partition.

If in the problem install there is a /home partition you can edit /etc/fstab to
point the to partition that is the /home partition you want.

Bigpaws
InTheWoods
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 07:17:28 pm »

I was mistaken fstab was not in order
Here is the offending portion
Code:
# The Linux partitions
/dev/hda2 / reiserfs  noatime  0  1
/dev/hda3 /home reiserfs noatime  0 2
/dev/hda4 /home reiserfs noatime  0 2
I removed the line refering to hda4 and it now works fine
Code:
# The Linux partitions
/dev/hda2 / reiserfs  noatime  0  1
/dev/hda3 /home reiserfs noatime  0 2
I guess the fact that hda4 showed to mount at the same point as hda3 over rode the initial mount at the /home point. I don't know how that line got there but problem solved. Thanks for the help.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: