Having seen the announcement on Distrowatch, I found and downloaded the new iso. Burned, and installed. This time, no problems during the install. All went as it should.
I had a problem during the first boot. I hijacked an existing Grub entry and modified it to suit the new kernel etc. I left in the 'vga=870' that I normally do, which sets the framebuffer to 12800x800. With that in place, the system would get to the point where newer kernels autoload the framebuffer, then locked up. Removing the 'vga=' fixed that and I was able to successfully boot.
I then hit another problem, which may
have been my own fault - I couldn't log in as the user I'd created during the install. Maybe I didn't enter a password, though I thought I did. Anyhow, I logged in as root and used Vasm to reset the user password and was then able to log in as a normal user. I'm wondering a bit, if only because of the next problem, if there is something strange in the character set.
Final problem - I fired up wicd to log into the network. Selected the correct SSID, entered the WPA passphrase and tried to log in. No go - after a bit of activity, I got a 'bad password' error. So I went and checked that the pass phrase was correct. I checked it multiple times, tried both upper and lower case for the alphabetic parts of the pass phrase. And every time I attempted to connect, I got the 'bad password' error. I have checked and rechecked, and I'm absolutely convinced that I have it correctly entered. But it doesn't work
I'm at a loss on this one. I'm currently entering this from VL6.0, using the same wireless SSID, and the same pass phrase. Which works fine in VL6.0, but for unknown reasons, doesn't work under VL7.0 alpha 1.
I'll try again later with a wired connection, but there is something distinctly strange about the response to the pass phrase under VL7.0.