I installed yesterday on the 1.3 GHz Celeron. I was thrown for a loop when I was about to pick what partition I wanted to install on and all the drives were listed as /dev/sdx (x being a placeholder for the actual designation)! Formerly they were all /dev/hdx as they are all IDE drives. I wanted to be absolutely sure I wasn't going to overwrite a partition I didn't intend to overwrite, so I went back to gparted, where the drives included drive labels and I got a better idea of just how VL7 Install was seeing the drives. When I went back to selecting the partition (I wasn't creating any new partitions), the drive list was confused and was mixing partitions from /dev/sda with partitions from /dev/sdb (as it identified them). This scared me, so I exited from the installation and started my RC3 so I could see what cfdisk saw the drives as. I made notes and started the VL7 installation again. This time the "select partition to install on" screen got the drive sizes right. I picked /dev/sda6 and holding my breath, began the installation. It did go to the right place. /dev/sda6 was formerly /dev/hde6.
After I installed LILO to a floppy disk after the installation was complete, I booted to RC3 with that floppy and got a kernel panic. I think the change from /dev/hdx to /dev/sdx is confusing the process. I tried editing lilo.conf, substituting the old /dev/hdx designations for the new /dev/sdx designation, but got a fatal error when I did lilo -v. So I see this change to /dev/sdx as a probable problem for computers that have older versions of VL installed because it appears that anyone using a floppy will need at least two (one for the new VL7 and one for the older versions). I don't know what will happen to computers that use other boot loaders or put LILO in the MBR.
After my original drive ID debacle, I tried the text installer. It couldn't find the installation media (CD in what used to be /dev/hdc and is now /dev/sdd, I think). So the text installer was a no-go. Fortunately the GUI installer worked right the second time.
I was confused by the Readme.function and Functions services. What are they? Can I leave them unchecked (I think they are right now and things seem to be working)?
One thing I would DEARLY love: make VASM keep the window size if we've resized it, at least until we're done with VASM. The default text sizes are much too small for my aging eyes and high-res screens and I always resize VASM so I can see all the text. It's very annoying to have to resize the window every time I do something additional.
I installed Tuxcards, which I *must* have, and was missing a needed library. I found it and its symlinks in RC3 and copied it into /usr/lib in VL7. I had other trouble with missing libraries but I didn't make a note of what wasn't working--will do that later. By the way, I install tuxcards by copying the executable from an earlier version of VL into the new version.
I'm writing this from Opera in VL7 Alpha 2. I see Vec has posted an Alpha 2.1 and I guess I'll have to install that in place of Alpha 2. I did have the problem of su switching me to root without a password, but I did the suggested fix with VASM and now it's working right. No video problems with my Radeon 9200 and I don't have wireless on this computer, so no chance to see what results I'd get. I don't have the console font problem that someone mentioned.
One thing: I boot with a standard screen and at midpoint in the boot process, the screen changes to a size very small and hard to read. I guess it starts at 640x480 (on a 1280x1024 screen) and then the screen changes to 1280x1024, with the text whizzing by at 640x480, leaving half the screen blank. I don't like this at all and would like to know if I can change it.
Alpha 2 seems much more complete than Alpha 1 and I expect that in the next release or two I'll be able to use it as my main system. Meanwhile, I consider RC3 my main system and HOPE that someday we'll get a final release.