VectorLinux
August 20, 2014, 04:18:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 7.0 CORE ALPHA 2  (Read 15323 times)
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2010, 07:03:33 pm »

Trying to install with text installer it could not find the CD.

Gui installation worked and took about 30 minutes. When asked to add a user
it gave an error message and the installer page closed. Rebooted.

It stopped saying:
"Failed to open the device /dev/sdb6: No such file or directory"
followed by direction to enter root password etc.

I had the same problem with slackware-13.1 and changed in fstab sdb to hdd
and was then able to boot. Unfortunately slack hangs the system when I open
X.

I now did the same for this VL7, changed in fstab sdb6 to hdd6 and the booting
stops again as above saying can't open device /dev/hdd6.

How to go about?
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2010, 07:38:29 pm »

How to go about?
With vl7 slack13 ubuntu suse fedora etc the new device system is now sd vs hd in fact  the hd system is no longer maintained in the kernel, its available to build but is deprecated. All you have to remember is what used to be hdx is now sdx. So in your case if you are using /dev/hdb6 to install it will now be /dev/sdb6 (just substitute sd for hd the rest is the same). If you use lilo as your bootloader make sure all hdx is converted to sdx in your liloconf file. I am not sure from your post if you use a seperate /home partition or not I would try a reinstall and remember what was hd is now sd........hope that helped some.

Cheers,
Vec
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2010, 07:46:04 pm »

I tried to download some of toothandnail's packages, but I got a 404 and couldn't locate http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/testing/net/ .

That's strange. Shouldn't be any restrictions on download access to that area. I hope its not a general problem. Maybe some other people can check to see if they can download from the area?

It's working today and I downloaded what I want.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2010, 11:02:15 pm »

How to go about?
With vl7 slack13 ubuntu suse fedora etc the new device system is now sd vs hd in fact  the hd system is no longer maintained in the kernel, its available to build but is deprecated. All you have to remember is what used to be hdx is now sdx. So in your case if you are using /dev/hdb6 to install it will now be /dev/sdb6 (just substitute sd for hd the rest is the same). If you use lilo as your bootloader make sure all hdx is converted to sdx in your liloconf file. I am not sure from your post if you use a seperate /home partition or not I would try a reinstall and remember what was hd is now sd........hope that helped some.

Cheers,
Vec

Thanks! Got it working. Posting from within now. Needed 2 more install. The previous to this install lilo /boot/tamu could not read the slackware properly. Next install I excluded this directory. Will do it manually.
Internet and sound working. First impression very good except lilo splash looks awful.  Grin
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2010, 12:14:56 am »

I'm guessing the included qt4 still needs to be built against the libpng14 package.  I'm getting the same png errors mentioned in the alpha 1 thread.  Went away when I installed my own qt4 which was built against libpng14.

Not sure why but my lilo spash went away.  Could have been me so maybe wait until you hear again of the same problem from another testor before you consider it a real problem.

Starting vasm as a normal user, then selecting SUPER from the menu results in an error.

vasm -->XWMSET offers the normal stable of window managers plus 'd', what the heck is 'd'.

That's all for now.  Next 5 days are work days for me, so I'll just keep reporting what little I can.  Hope to have some packages for contribution come my days off.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2010, 12:34:52 am »

As mentioned during install user cannot be added giving error: file conf3.?.0
does not exist.

Next I could not anymore get into my working VL box with the new lilo. There
were no errors, it just sat on the splash screen. Had to boot from install CD
of VL6-STD and get my old lilo back with hda and hdd. Which means I cannot
boot again into VL7.  Can hda and sda be reconciled?
If I use the lilo.conf file of VL7 in my working box get error :Fatal: raid_setup: stat("/dev/sda")
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2010, 03:17:48 pm »

One thing: I boot with a standard screen and at midpoint in the boot process, the screen changes to a size very small and hard to read. I guess it starts at 640x480 (on a 1280x1024 screen) and then the screen changes to 1280x1024, with the text whizzing by at 640x480, leaving half the screen blank. I don't like this at all and would like to know if I can change it.

That is a 'feature' of more recent kernels. They automatically enable the framebuffer at native resolution. While I always did that anyway with a 'vga=' command in my Grub menu.lst, I find the new method untidy, and would much prefer not to have it happen. I don't think it is changeable, unfortunately.

Yuck! My current screen is 1280x1024. I hate to think of what it'll look like when I install on another computer with a 1600x1200 screen.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2010, 03:20:31 pm »

Opera needs some of mozilla to use the flash plugin. You need to edit /etc/ld.so.conf and add /usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9.2
then  run ldconfig. Fire up opera and flash should work

Thanks! I followed your directions and Flash is now working in Opera (and Firefox and SeaMonkey).
--GrannyGeek

Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2010, 04:02:44 pm »

I am now able to open VL7 booting from the VL7-CD.

There was no gslapt and slapt-get installed. Installed them.

Upgraded opera and firefox. Would only worked if not include qt upgrade since
it causes an error. Opera would not open, missing library libqt-mt I think. Installed
10.60 directly and working well.

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2010, 04:09:38 pm »

It didn't work quite so neatly on my system. /dev/hda became /dev/sdb. /dev/hde (where my Linux partitions live) became /dev/sda. My former /dev/hdb became /dev/sdc. My DVD drive is now /dev/sdd.

For some reason, LILO can't boot my partitions except for /dev/sda11 (VL7 Alpha 2.1). I get a kernel panic at about midpoint in loading the older systems. I did make sure lilo.conf had the correct /dev/sdx designations for my partitions, but lilo.conf was already that way. I tried changing the older partitions to  /dev/hdx but that didn't work at all.

I have LILO on a floppy disk, so I just use a different floppy if I want to run an older Linux installation. On my other computer I'll have to use the CD for an earlier Linux, as it has no floppy drive.
--GrannyGeek

Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2010, 10:51:43 pm »

Added now a user.

'at' working for user!

To use the CD I had to make a symlink of cdrom and dvd in /dev to /dev/sr0
Changed in fstab /dev/cdrom  /mnt/cdrom.......

Watching now a DVD and working perfectly.

Can't test printers since the drivers for mine not loaded.

It seems after a little tweaking here and there VL7 works great AFAIC. Cheesy
Therefore will not do more testing in this version.

BTW if I boot into slackware with VL7-CD and start X, fluxbox or wmaker
the system freezes once the program is up.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2010, 07:17:23 pm »

I made it! Smiley Smiley Smiley
I have again amultiple boot lilo. One into my VL6 working box, the others
into VL7 and Slackware-13.1 resepectively.

Installed kernel-2.6.33.4 into my VL6 box.
Did lilo with hd setting.
Changed in fstab hd to sd.
Rebooted with VL7CD.
Changed lilo.conf with hd settings to new one with sd settings I copied from VL7.
Did lilo.
Rebooted and there I am in my VL6 box all set to sd.
I must admit during the run my heartbeat accelerated a bit. Grin

Now one problem, NVIDIA does not load. I copied /usr/src from VL7
to my box.  According to nvidia log the gcc should be 4.4 version.
Any suggestions?

The compiler used to compile the kernel (gcc 4.4) does not exactly match the
   current compiler (gcc 4.2).  The Linux 2.6 kernel module loader rejects kern
   el modules built with a version of gcc that does not exactly match that of t
   he compiler used to build the running kernel.

If you know what you are doing and want to ignore the gcc version check, sel
   ect "No" to continue installation.  Otherwise, select "Yes" to abort install
   ation, set the CC environment variable to the name of the compiler used to c
   ompile your kernel, and restart installation.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 05:03:49 pm by Pita » Logged
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2010, 03:59:08 am »

Another couple of packages:

http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/testing/libs/enchant-1.6.0-i586-1vl70.txz
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/testing/libs/xine-lib-1.1.19-i686-1vl70.txz
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/testing/net/firefox-3.6.8-i586-1vl60.txz

Plus the firefox language packs.

Paul.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 04:03:46 am by toothandnail » Logged
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2010, 11:42:09 am »

Just installed this in a VM, but I'm pretty sure other will experience the same thing.

when fully booted to X, open some program, vi, nano, firefox, anything that has a text input box or where you need to move around with the keyboard.

The End and some directional keys dont work. This problem dates back to the 6.0 SOHO beta tests with the newer xorg that does not *require* an xorg.conf file.

I solved this by adding an xorg.conf file and adding the following snipet to the ServerFlags section

Code:
Option "AllowEmptyInput"  "false"
Option "AutoAddDevices"  "false"
That fixes the problem.... but it's annoying when it acts crazy out of the box.. maybe something the devs could consider as a default fix.

Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2010, 05:14:58 pm »

Just installed this in a VM, but I'm pretty sure other will experience the same thing.

when fully booted to X, open some program, vi, nano, firefox, anything that has a text input box or where you need to move around with the keyboard.

The End and some directional keys dont work. This problem dates back to the 6.0 SOHO beta tests with the newer xorg that does not *require* an xorg.conf file.

I solved this by adding an xorg.conf file and adding the following snipet to the ServerFlags section

Code:
Option "AllowEmptyInput"  "false"
Option "AutoAddDevices"  "false"
That fixes the problem.... but it's annoying when it acts crazy out of the box.. maybe something the devs could consider as a default fix.

Just checked it in firefox and there is no such problem. Keyboard keys working propely.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: