VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 02:01:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ubuntu Fails Again  (Read 1978 times)
gacl
Vectorite

« on: July 19, 2010, 08:16:50 pm »

Hello there,

I bought this used Dell Vostro 1510 and I installed Ubuntu 10.04 (the latest), and I just couldn't get the freaking wireless to work. !!! I try to play some DVDs, I install the codec, and the menus didn't work. Then I install Vector Linux and everything works from the start. Smooth. . . Pat yourselves in the back.
     I swear that I've never been able to to install Ubuntu to my satisfaction, and I wonder why it is so popular. Huh

Gus

“Our very lives depend on the ethics of strangers, and most of us are always strangers to other people.” -- Bill Moyers
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 05:34:16 am »

The same reason M$ is so big... the have tons of $$ behind it

nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 10:30:15 am »

The same reason M$ is so big... the have tons of $$ behind it
Yes,...that's pretty much it.  With $$$ they have a LOT of marketing media,...so when someone thinks of trying Linux,...all they usually "hear" about is Ubuntu.  For instance,..you try and "Google" something about Linux,..and you usually get several search pages full of references to ubuntu.  Seems like only those who have been using linux for awhile, and have done some real searching on their own, find a real jewel like Vector.
never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 01:58:04 pm »

Mint is a much nicer Ubuntu than Ubuntu is..... ;-)

Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 05:15:37 am »

Meh.. It suffers from the same issues that Ubuntu does. I think the thing that chaps my hide the most about Ubuntu and the various flavors is the mind set of the Ubuntu developers that they know best. When you start removing little features from the OS and the applications that go with it, I'm going to start looking elsewhere.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 05:21:17 am »

Mint is a much nicer Ubuntu than Ubuntu is..... ;-)
I get sick of the default green tone to everything in about 30 seconds...

Murdock

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 12:22:53 pm »

Bahhhhhh. There's only one Debian. They call it Debian. Tongue
Yeah. Never the latest greatest packages but I ran Sarge-testing for a couple of years without a reboot, force quit. Nothing.It was a combo desktop-music box-web server.
When they finally declare something as stable, it really, really is.My hair is about 3 shades of gray lighter upon each release. Grin

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 12:36:06 pm »

When they finally declare something as stable, it really, really is.My hair is about 3 shades of gray lighter upon each release. Grin

Good one... sounds about right.

Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 07:30:00 pm »

I found too that Ubuntu was totally incompatible with me, not only with my hard wired
system. Yet , I gave away quite a few of those free install CDs having in mind
the promotion of Linux.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: