VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: xpdf Does Not Show UTF-8  (Read 1231 times)

gacl

• Vectorite
xpdf Does Not Show UTF-8
« on: July 19, 2010, 09:31:47 pm »

Greetings,

In xpdf when I click "open", any files with accent marks are shown completely garbled. I have to use UTF-8 because I use Spanish characters. How can I get xpdf to show them? Thanks.

Gus
“Our very lives depend on the ethics of strangers, and most of us are always strangers to other people.” -- Bill Moyers

toothandnail

• Tester
  • Vectorian
Re: xpdf Does Not Show UTF-8
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 02:44:56 pm »

Greetings,

In xpdf when I click "open", any files with accent marks are shown completely garbled. I have to use UTF-8 because I use Spanish characters. How can I get xpdf to show them? Thanks.

Gus

Try the following command from a terminal:

Code: [Select]
echo $LANG
I suspect that the LANG variable may well not be allowing UTF8 to work correctly.

Paul.

gacl

• Vectorite
Re: xpdf Does Not Show UTF-8
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 03:43:12 pm »

Code: [Select]
Vector:/~
user:$ echo $LANG
en_US.UTF-8

Thunar displays the characters correctly (like "á" or "ñ"), and so does the terminal.
“Our very lives depend on the ethics of strangers, and most of us are always strangers to other people.” -- Bill Moyers

gacl

• Vectorite