VectorLinux
August 28, 2014, 05:06:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 20100720 firefox-3.6.7 [VL6.0]  (Read 736 times)
toothandnail
Vectorian

« on: July 20, 2010, 01:50:47 pm »

toothandnail has built a new Firefox package for VectorLinux 6.0.

Code:
firefox: Firefox (Mozilla Firefox Web Browser)
firefox:
firefox: Firefox 3 is the next generation release of the award-winning
firefox: Firefox web browser from Mozilla.
firefox: To comply with Mozilla trademarks, and to assure quality control,
firefox: this is the official Mozilla build, packaged for VectorLinux.
firefox:
firefox:
firefox: License: MPL 1.1/GPL 2.0/LGPL 2.1
firefox: Author:  Mozilla Foundation <drivers@mozilla.org>
firefox: Website: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

After testing this package please stop back here and let us know how it works for you.

roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 01:41:43 pm »

Good install, runs fine, and seems to have solved a flash issue I mentioned in another firefox package news thread.

Auto update notification works, too. 3.6.8 is out. Appreciate very much that you really do keep up with firefox, toothandnail. Just seems to be too much of a moving target. Isn't it about time for the firefox update installer dev thread?

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
toothandnail
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 08:40:05 am »

Good install, runs fine, and seems to have solved a flash issue I mentioned in another firefox package news thread.

Auto update notification works, too. 3.6.8 is out. Appreciate very much that you really do keep up with firefox, toothandnail. Just seems to be too much of a moving target. Isn't it about time for the firefox update installer dev thread?

Smiley It certainly can be a moving target. Trouble is, they fix security problems (3.6.7 was very much a security fix) and break something in the process. So 3.6.8 is a bug fix, and can take a bit longer to get built. I always try to build the security fixes as quickly as possible, but don't expect the bug fixes as quckly.

It would be useful if the update function worked for VL, but it doesn't match the location expectations of any Slackware-based system. Not sure there is much that can be done to fix that.

Oddly enough, its not the building that is the problem, its the repo mainteance involved. Most times a new release arrives, it means the one currently in testing has to be moved to patches (and the language packs to extra), the version currently in those areas has to be moved to old, and the maintenance scripts have to be run on three areas. Which is very time consuming.

Anyhow, I guess I'll look at 2.6.8 sometime in the next few days.

Paul.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 11:28:23 am »

toothandnail, I too appreciate the firefox updates.  We have to use it to access the federal pacer system.

I heard somewhere that the latest seamonkey updates won't run on VL 6, which is a bother, but which makes firefox more important.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
toothandnail
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 11:48:39 am »

toothandnail, I too appreciate the firefox updates.  We have to use it to access the federal pacer system.

I can understand needing all the latest security patches under those circumstances.

I heard somewhere that the latest seamonkey updates won't run on VL 6, which is a bother, but which makes firefox more important.

True, unfortunately. The latest Seamonkey (which is also a security fix) will no longer build under VL6.0. It may be possible to move to a similar build method to that used with Firefox (which essentially opens the installer and repacks it to suit the VL filesystem layout), but that is going to take time, and may still not work. The worrying thing is that if Seamonkey will no longer build under VL6.0, Firefox may not be far behind. At one time, the pre-packaged binaries were static build, but that no longer applies, which means the need for updated libraries may soon affect Firefox under VL6.0 as well.

Paul.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: