VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Lost access to Home partition <solved>  (Read 1001 times)

InTheWoods

• Vectorite
Lost access to Home partition <solved>
« on: July 20, 2010, 03:06:52 pm »

I have a hard drive with four partitions and two seperate installations of vector6.0 on them. I have lost the ability to access the home partition of the main installation, Vector 6.0 standard.

I recently unsuccesfully tried to install "Tiny Core" Linux on partition hda4. This computer can not be forced to boot from the CD drive. That is why I keep two installations on it so that I can install from a downloaded ISO to the unmounted partition.

When I reinstalled Vector 6.0 Light to hda4, the home partition for Vector 6.0 Standard on hda3 disappeared from the view of the main installation. I can still boot as root which is on hda2 but accessing hda3 in any way from the main installation brings up a message that the partition/file does not exist. The partition and the files on it do exist and are accessible from the Vector Light installation on hda4.

I did reinstall lilo from the Standard installation and the 'fstab' file appears to be correct

Is there anything I can do to recover access to the home partition of the main installation without moving the files off and reinstalling?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 08:17:58 pm by InTheWoods »

bigpaws

• Vectorian
Re: Lost access to Home partition
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 04:41:32 pm »

You probably need to move the location of your /home/<username> directory.

You will need to make some changes for your situation

/dev/sda1=root partition
/dev/sda6="home partition"

1. mount /dev/sda5 /mnt
2. cp -R /home/* /mnt
3. add line to /etc/fstab

/dev/sda6 /home ext3 defaults 0 0

4. reboot
5. once sure you have everything you can umount
/dev/sda6 and then delete everything on (the old) /home

HTH

Bigpaws

InTheWoods

• Vectorite
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 06:35:42 pm »

I am not sure that I understand. I thought sda was for sata drives or even USB drives. I have an older laptop and drive is identified as hda.

If you are sugesting that I make a new partition and then mount it as the new 'home', I don't have room to do that. I would have to move the data off the machine and at that point I might as well do a fresh install.

A little more information
If I log in as root and go to /mnt there is no hda3 partition showing. Similarily I can not mount the hda3 partition because the OS does not recognize it's presence. Even though the OS on hda4 does.

If I cd to /home it goes directly to the base of the hda4 installation. I can acces anything on the hda4 partition through the hda2 /home directory instead of accessing the hda3 files through the /home directory as it should.

Is there not some way to remap the system so that /home points to hda3 as it should

bigpaws

• Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 07:40:32 pm »

You need to remap the /home partition which was the point
I was trying to across.

The last post I made needed to edited for your situation.

No I did not mean to add another /home partition.

If in the problem install there is a /home partition you can edit /etc/fstab to
point the to partition that is the /home partition you want.

Bigpaws

InTheWoods

• Vectorite
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 08:17:28 pm »

I was mistaken fstab was not in order
Here is the offending portion
Code: [Select]
# The Linux partitions
/dev/hda2 / reiserfs  noatime  0  1
/dev/hda3 /home reiserfs noatime  0 2
/dev/hda4 /home reiserfs noatime  0 2
I removed the line refering to hda4 and it now works fine
Code: [Select]
# The Linux partitions
/dev/hda2 / reiserfs  noatime  0  1
/dev/hda3 /home reiserfs noatime  0 2
I guess the fact that hda4 showed to mount at the same point as hda3 over rode the initial mount at the /home point. I don't know how that line got there but problem solved. Thanks for the help.