VectorLinux
August 20, 2014, 02:04:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: No Mouse, No Keyboard: Dell Vostro 1510  (Read 9353 times)
gacl
Vectorite

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2010, 02:30:42 pm »

and these are fresh new installs right?

Right.

“Our very lives depend on the ethics of strangers, and most of us are always strangers to other people.” -- Bill Moyers
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2010, 12:56:43 pm »

I missed the beginning of this thing, but how was this installed? Gui or text installer? Reason I ask is because if the mouse and kbd worked in the gui installer, then we may look into what modules are loaded in the installer environment

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2010, 01:52:20 pm »

I've loaded VL 6 standard hundreds of times on many different machines, regular and usb.  Only time I had this problem was when the mouse or keyboard was bad or when I plugged them in to the wrong slots. 

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
gacl
Vectorite

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2010, 03:11:03 pm »

Right now neither the installed Vector nor the installation flash drive have responsive keyboards (or touchpad).

LiLo responds normally.

With the installation disc not even the power button works, I have to pull out the battery.

Edit 1: A similar problem on Mint: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=34382 But they use GrUB.

Edit 2:
The Ubuntu live flash drive works fine.

Edit 3: OK, now it works all of a sudden after trying the installation drive again. This is very random and annoying.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 04:18:17 pm by gacl » Logged

“Our very lives depend on the ethics of strangers, and most of us are always strangers to other people.” -- Bill Moyers
gacl
Vectorite

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2010, 06:15:00 am »

Quite strange. Yesterday I rebooted twice to see if I could get a response from the keyboard or touchpad with no results, but when I connected the power cord it worked. . .

jarius

fill'er up

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2010, 06:28:21 am »

none of the suggestion have worked yet.  not giving up but will wait and try again.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2010, 06:30:12 am »

very strange indeed, but if I've learned one thing from all my trial-and-error tests is that there must be something causing it.
In the case of laptops, I know my old D630 has a function+[key] combo to disable stuff like touchpad, and wireless, you may want to check if yours does the same thing..

also, have you tried booting with acpi=off (because you said the power button didn't respond)

gacl
Vectorite

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2010, 06:29:11 am »

As far as I can tell both, the power cable and the ethernet cable have to be plugged in for the computer to allow control of the touchpad and keyboard. And even then it requires a couple of boots.

I don't know if this can be related to the problem but once I log in and unplug the ethernet cable the computer keeps trying to connect to the wired interface endlessly even though my wireless signal is available. And when I click "connect" to my wireless interface it never does. My other computer connects normally.

gacl
Vectorite

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2010, 02:56:21 pm »

I found this:

"I had the problem with the keyboard lost. The issue was solved for me by adding “i8042.reset” to kernel commandline."

Could someone please explain?

Gus

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2010, 04:28:44 pm »

Don't have VL 6 installed right now, so I can't check the kernel, but a quick "Google" shows that this may be a bug in the earlier kernels. Supposedly this is fixed after 2.6.27?

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
gacl
Vectorite

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2010, 07:21:17 pm »

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=490250

What would the solution be?

Gus

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2010, 03:53:43 am »

When LILO menu appears, press the Tab key. This will allow you to edit the boot command. Add a space and then i8042.reset (and/or the other options).
gacl
Vectorite

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2010, 02:39:23 pm »

I see. How can I make these changes permanent?

Gus

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2010, 04:06:22 pm »

Modify lilo.conf in your /etc directory as root. Once the changes have been made, run lilo -v to make the changes permanent.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
gacl
Vectorite

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2010, 11:01:17 am »

Where does the "i8042.reset" line go? In "append"?

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: