VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: HP Mini PgUp, PgDn, Home, End  (Read 976 times)

roarde

• Vectorian
  • move the needle
HP Mini PgUp, PgDn, Home, End
« on: March 29, 2016, 05:51:31 pm »

Several Minis shipped with these keys missing. Some models have a "bios update" (properly called a firmware update) which will supply these as Fn+arrow keys. This is a 100e, for which no such update is available.

I can wait to handle text-based linux terminal. Can anyone give me a headstart on adding this functionality to an X session?
Robert
VL 7.1 Light

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
Re: HP Mini PgUp, PgDn, Home, End
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 08:50:34 pm »

I think that would be xmodmap.
Here is a howto for multimedia keys that can get you started: http://cweiske.de/howto/xmodmap/allinone.html

HTH
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!

roarde

• Vectorian
  • move the needle
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 01:41:59 pm »

Thanks, rbistolfi  :)

While playing around with xev, I discovered Fn+9 is "Page_Up", Fn+l ("ell") is "Page_Down", Fn+7 is "Home", and  Fn+j is "End"; all part of the unmarked and unhinted-at "keypad" section of the keyboard. This keyboard section is broken several kinds of ways, but does at least give me the wanted functions for now.

I plan to bypass *Xmodmap usage to see if I can write an XF86 keyboard for the 100e. One does exist for the 110.
Robert
VL 7.1 Light

macondo

• Vectorite
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 06:09:36 pm »

You can always use Vimperator or Vimium which are extensions for FF, gg to go to the top, G to go to the end, j to go down, and k to go up.
VL 7.1 Light - icewm - jwm - ratpoison
“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.” ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22
Oscar Peterson - Bossa Nova - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSX_7ejc5u8