VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Windows Shares  (Read 818 times)

davec51

Windows Shares
« on: July 25, 2010, 07:18:54 am »

I have VL6.0 installed on a Pentium IV box. It installed uneventfully and works fine, except that I have no idea how to access my shared files on a wired networked Windows XP computer. I have successfully set up to print from the remote printer, and I think I have Samba installed, but I don't know where to go from there. The Samba setup sends me to a hml page that I can't figure out.

bigpaws

• Vectorian
Re: Windows Shares
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 09:33:12 am »

This is from a post found from using the search bar.

1. type smbclient -L xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (put the IP or the hostname of your XP system) -U username in your linux console/terminal. Key in the password afterward if it require it.

2. Use the mount command as follows:
# mount -t cifs //ntserver/download -o username=xxx,password=xxx /mnt/xxx

3. Use following command if you are using Old version such as RHEL <=4 or Debian <= 3:
# mount -t smbfs -o username=xxx,password=xxx //ntserver/download /mnt/xxx

PS: If you didn't set access control on your XP share folder there is no need to specify the username and password

That should get you going.

Bigpaws

davec51

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 10:37:51 am »

Thanks, Bigpaws. I followed the procedure you outlined but I still couldn't get access. I think I'm not ready for the Vector prime-time, since I get access with any other Linux system. Too bad.

toothandnail

• Tester
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 04:46:54 am »

Thanks, Bigpaws. I followed the procedure you outlined but I still couldn't get access. I think I'm not ready for the Vector prime-time, since I get access with any other Linux system. Too bad.

I've found in several instances that, unless you have either a correct /etc/hosts file or a local DNS server, the mount command needs IP addresses instead of machine names. I've also found (no idea why) that combining username/password works better than specifying both separately.

An example:

Code: [Select]
mount -t cifs -o user=admin%xxxxxxr //10.1.0.10/backup /mnt/smb
The above only works if the 'backup' directory is already set up as a share.

I have no idea why, but I found the user=<name>%<password> works more reliably than specifying user= and password=

Paul.