VectorLinux
October 30, 2014, 03:53:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Automount/unmount 3-1/2 inch floppy disks?  (Read 1428 times)
haywire
Vectorian

« on: July 25, 2010, 08:27:00 pm »

While moving to a new home, I found an ancient big old box of floppy disks in my basement. I'm going through them, copying whats cool to my dos or windows drives on my system.

The problem is I found alot of older apps and things that take quite a few disks to install. Its taking me forever because I have to mount and unmount each floppy as the installs ask for them and so on. Ever try installing something that takes 10 floppies? Not fun...

Is there any way to just make vector automount and autounmount any floppy as its put in and taken out?

Thanks for any thoughts on how I may do this.

Steven

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 05:08:13 am »

That's not possible.. floppy drives dont emit any event signals afaik. It's not a vector thing, it's a hardware design thing.

If you had a USB floppy reader you might be able to do it by unplugging it and plugging it back in when you switched disks.... and i'm not even sure.. .I just imagine the USB would emit a signal to the system

toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 05:18:56 am »

That's not possible.. floppy drives dont emit any event signals afaik. It's not a vector thing, it's a hardware design thing.

If you had a USB floppy reader you might be able to do it by unplugging it and plugging it back in when you switched disks.... and i'm not even sure.. .I just imagine the USB would emit a signal to the system

Smiley That might work. I know at one stage (think it was under Ubuntu <yuck>), I had to plug the USB floppy in every time I changed disks, because it didn't pick up disks when they were inserted if the USB drive was already plugged in.

Paul.
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 03:32:18 pm »

Guys,

Wierd little problem to have but a problem just the same...

The problems really start when I am installing stuff from floppy to dosbox or my windows drives.
You know, windows 3.1 takes 8 disks, plus I had about 25 disks of win3.1/win95 type programs to install... So thats 66 mount/unmount commands to type in during one installation process.

Ah well... I'll be done soon enough going through the box of floppy madness. I'm backing up ALOT of ancient stuff from my nerd past too from floppies.
Some important older work of mine was there, could have been lost forever to bit rot, but looks like most everything held up nice.

This could take awhile... Thanks for your thoughts anyhow... I suppose I will just suffer through this. After this, I'll probably never use a floppy disk again in my life... well except for my amigas...

Steven

Steven
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 05:49:56 pm »

I'd say this would be a good place for a shell script that would mount the floppy, copy the contents to the drive, then unmount it. Something like:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
mount /mnt/floppy
cp -r /mnt/floppy/* /home/steven/floppycopy
umount /mnt/floppy
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 09:20:22 pm »

That is a good idea, what do I save this as a text file and what should I name it?

Steven
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 03:52:56 am »

Yes, just make a text file. Name it whatever you want, but something like "floppycopy.sh" would follow norms. To invoke the script, use command "sh /path/to/floppycopy.sh". To run it again, hit the up arrow on your keyboard and then Enter.

Optional info: You can also make the file executable with command "chmod +x floppycopy.sh", then call it directly (without the leading "sh").

Warning: Once you learn to use shell scripts to automate tasks, it is easy to get addicted. I spent hours going through my music collection, using small scripts to weed out duplicates.  Wink
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 04:18:27 am »

Nightflier,

Thanks I knew how to execute shell scripts, but I didn't know how to make them.

Is this equivelant to a dos batch file in many ways?

Where can I get a list of commands you can put in a script like this? Or can you put any commands on your system in there?

Steven
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 04:54:05 am »

Yep, very much like the DOS batch files, just a lot more powerful.

You can put just about anything in a script. Most of the utilities in VL, like vasm, are shell scripts. The text installer is comprised of several such files. There are GUI components available so you can hide the command line (check out vburn as an example). The sky is the limit, have some fun with it!
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 06:15:39 am »

Ah shit nightflier, what a can of worms you just opened. Smiley

I don't have time for this now but I played around a bit with a few things.

I've had a good week of learning some more linux things this past week or so.

I'm getting dangerous. Smiley

Steven
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 06:43:01 am »

I wish more people got hooked on python or scripting like I do Wink

haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 06:58:18 am »

I looked at python but really didn't like it. I don't think I'm nerd enough to handle python.

Steven
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 07:14:46 am »

I have purposely NOT delved into scripting and Python for I KNOW what will happen if I do.  Cheesy

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 07:27:48 am »

Thanks I knew how to execute shell scripts, but I didn't know how to make them.

Any text editor. Something like mcedit is ideal, since it has syntax highlighting for shell scripts, which will help you spot syntax errors while creating them.

Is this equivelant to a dos batch file in many ways?

Yes, if you think of a DOS batch file as a poorly maintained, badly rusted bicyle and the Bash script as a high power motorcycle  Grin

Where can I get a list of commands you can put in a script like this? Or can you put any commands on your system in there?

All you ever wanted to know about Bash scripting:

http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/

Paul.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 07:44:15 am »

I have purposely NOT delved into scripting and Python for I KNOW what will happen if I do.  Cheesy
what exactly would happen? you gonna take over the world?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: