VectorLinux
November 26, 2014, 12:42:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Dosbox questions (SOLVED)  (Read 1913 times)
haywire
Vectorian

« on: July 27, 2010, 06:55:14 am »

Does anyone know where the dosbox configuration file gets saved when you install to vectorlinux?

I was to tweak it, but I can't find it. For some strange reason, catfish crashes my computer.

Is there another file searching util I can install? Otherwise, do you know where dosbox stores the files it installs?

If I knew where to find it, now I know how to tweak it for better performance...

Thanks in advance for any help...
I about gave up on a dos gui, now I'm making vector load the applications directly from a linux program launcher.
I need to modify the dosbox conf file to have a better cpu and start with max cpu cycles...

Thanks!

Steven
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 10:27:15 pm by haywire » Logged
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 07:12:23 am »

Using "locate" in the cli doesn't work?

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 07:24:30 am »

This is what I get when trying to "locate dosbox.conf"

locate: warning: database /var/lib/slocate/slocate.db' is more than 8 days old

Grrrr....
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 07:33:24 am »

DOH I got it...

Start dosbox, and type config -writeconf .dosboxrc

Now look in your home directory. .dosbox

The config file is there and can be modified now...

YAY!

Steven
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 07:34:09 am »

Moderators... Please mark this thread solved.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 07:38:40 am »

haywire,

You can also mark it solved....just go to the original message and "modify" the caption, adding (SOLVED).

I guess you know, when you get the database is more than 8 days old warning, to run updatedb as root.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 10:26:49 pm »

I didn't know I could do that will update... also will try that as root..I didn't know that. I almost never use the root account... I'll logout and try that as root...

Steven
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 06:20:39 am »

I don't know if there is a way to update the system data without running updatedb as root but agree that such a feature would be nice.  Root is dangerous.

Andy Price
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 04:13:00 pm »

Any reason why you can't open a terminal, su to root and run updatedb?
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 09:04:39 pm »

Usually, when someone here says "run as root" they mean use su (or sudo). It's shorthand that we've gotten used to. I say the same thing, when I really should say "run with root priveleges". Both correct, but the second explains better.

So, yes you can do it from terminal+su. Also, the command "slocate -u" works the same and does the same thing.

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.3, icewmvmods
Andy Price
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 10:28:30 pm »

Agreed, but haywire did say "I almost never use the root account... I'll logout and try that as root..." so I kind of assumed he wasn't going to su.
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 06:16:58 am »

For the record I often go to the root account and do those type of things, along with general housekeeping.

I do this once a month or so I'd guess. Sometimes, when I need something quickly I do use su, but not so much. I don't think redhat had su back in the day... so I guess I got in the habit of logging out and using the root account for such things.

Steven
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 07:24:58 am »

The nice thing about using su to root in a terminal is that you can run many commands and do your housekeeping, installations, etc., without constantly typing in your password. That accursed Ubuntu practice of using sudo, in contrast, requires doing it for every new command (though I think there is some way of making your permissions last  longer but it's  obscure).

I don't remember the last time I loggeed into the root account. Even in a new installation when I have a lot of root things to do, I log into my user account, su to root, and do everything I need to do and then exit back to user so I can actually use the computer.<g>
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 07:45:33 pm »

Granny yeah your right, sudo sucks. Smiley

Lately,I have also been just using ctrl_ALT_f4 or whatever and logging in as root to one of the text terminals. I can switch there to do most anything I need in text mode. Its nice to have so many options to do things in linux.

I often go to the root text terminal to use the reboot command if I have some unrecoverable error on my graphic user desktop.

Steven

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 06:47:32 am »

I tried ctrl-alt-F4.  How do I get back to the gui?

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: