VectorLinux
November 22, 2014, 08:26:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Flight Gear 2.0  (Read 1287 times)
prince
Vectorite

« on: August 01, 2010, 07:25:17 pm »

The latest flight simulator project for the Repository?  If so, thanks.

http://www.flightgear.org/

« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 06:46:11 am by prince » Logged
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 09:27:46 pm »

Why? Midnight Commander is already in the repository and does what MUCommander supposedly does.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 06:06:03 pm »

Why? Midnight Commander is already in the repository and does what MUCommander supposedly does.

I thought the exact same thing when I read the request.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
prince
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 06:45:48 am »

As far as the file manager thing, what I had in mind was by the ability to be a cross-platform file manager maybe there was
a potential way to recover info from failed Windows drives and port it over to Vector, that's all.
I'm not looking to replace Midnight Commander.  I'm well aware that MC is a standard. Besides, I like it a lot, too.

My interest was file recovery for those with failing Windows drives.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 12:58:58 pm by prince » Logged
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 07:02:21 am »

File managers are used to manipulate files, not recover from failed drives.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
prince
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 12:43:14 pm »

Well, in some cases yes.  Particularly if it's a failed Windows OS in question.  With a live CD, I've used Volkov Commander
to restore a virus ridden, Windows XP computer from a blue screen. Out of all file commanders that I've tried, that one did the trick.
It responded to the command I was looking for.

Another example, when I used NimbleX, and the desktop failed, Midnight Commander automagically presented itself by default.
What a welcomed suprise that was, instead of the typical BSOD you get in Windows.

It's just nowadays, when all is said and done, I migrate the data from the failed Windows OS to Vector Linux.  Cool
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 12:56:01 pm by prince » Logged
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 01:40:17 pm »

As far as the file manager thing, what I had in mind was by the ability to be a cross-platform file manager maybe there was
a potential way to recover info from failed Windows drives and port it over to Vector, that's all.
I'm not looking to replace Midnight Commander.  I'm well aware that MC is a standard. Besides, I like it a lot, too.

My interest was file recovery for those with failing Windows drives.

Assuming the failed Windows is on the same system as VectorLinux, I'd just boot with a LiveCD or a SystemRescue CD or something like that. If I could mount the Windows drive and the Linux drive, transferring files should be simple. LiveCDs include file managers, as does SystemRescue.

Am I missing something?

Come to think of it, if it's just the Windows system that's messed up, booting into Linux and recovering Windows files from Linux should work. If both systems are on the same drive and the drive is failing physically, the LiveCD should allow rcovering files and transferring them to a flash drive.

What confuses me is why a "cross platform" file manager should have any advantage. As far as I know, all Linux file managers can see, copy, move, delete Windows files if the file system is mounted with ntfs-3g, assuming NTFS drives in Windows. "Cross platform" to me means you can run the same file manager on Linux and Windows (each with its own version). Please explain, as I'm curious.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
prince
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 08:35:41 pm »

Somethings claim to work, but haven't worked for me.  I haven't got any Windows machine up with System Rescue CD. System Rescue CD would send me on a merry-go-round loop.
Not all file managers will read the files, especially if the Windows file system has been corrupted.  Some file managers will allow you to use Windows commands and tools to get Windows back up and running.

I have used some Linux live CDs and where the file was found after clicking on it, I would get an empty file, even though I know the file wasn't empty.

So, the answer is no, not all Linux file managers will read, and copy a Windows file. Claiming it and doing it are worlds apart.  Only if it was that simple.
I've tried Slackware based live CD, it read some files, and some it didn't.  By default Slackware is not designed to mount all file systems. 
Ubuntu live CD is pretty handy in that regard, and does it well.

However, in terms of safety for every day use, I'll stick with the Slackware based systems philosophy, "don't mount just anything."

As far as the cross platform file manager is concerned, GrannyGeek , you are right, it does just what it says, and nothing more. It won't interchange files between 2 different operating systems on
the same drive.  I was wrong, however, I realized that, thanks to retired1af, and I did change my request.  That alone should speak volumes on my current position on that matter.

Anyway, I do tender my apologies, don't let my mistake confuse anyone here.   
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 05:47:47 pm by prince » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: