VectorLinux
July 25, 2014, 08:43:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Virtual box launching questions...  (Read 407 times)
haywire
Vectorian

« on: August 03, 2010, 07:47:38 am »

I was thinking of adding a dock to start some things I use virtualbox for. Like I use virtualbox for windowsxp, I also have haiku and hopefully will soon have os2.

I would like to add icons on my desktop to launch each directly. For example, there would be a windows icon, haiku icon and an os2 icon to launch each.

Is there command line options to directly load each virtual machine, or must you use the virtualbox program to launch them?

I'd really like to just point and click once to start each, and besides it would make my desktop look cooler. Smiley

Any help here would be really appreciated.

Also, has anyone used the pearppc emulator to run osx for ppc? A mac icon would be cool too!

Steven
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 08:01:57 am »

Aparently, VBOx cannot do that. But there are other ways to accomplish it

With newer versions of vbox, you can use the VBoxManage command to start a VM in the background.
See VBoxManage --help for instructions

There is also some tips here on howto create and start VM's http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-control-virtual-machines-virtualbox-using-vboxmanage.html

I guess what I would do is, setup my VM and enable the remote desktop option under its settings.
Fire it using the VBoxManage command, but remeber, you will see nothing at all at this point. The vm will be booting silently.

To see the actual VM or output, use a VNC client to connect to localhost:59xx where 59xx is the port number you chose in the VM's remote desktop settings.

With that in mind, I would put it in a script.
Then create a shortcut in the desktop to that script.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: