VectorLinux
August 31, 2014, 11:21:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions that I have  (Read 3610 times)
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2010, 07:40:20 pm »

At what point does the installation fail.

At the setup screen or after you have the system installed?

Video card information would be helpful as well.

Bigpaws

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2010, 07:45:53 pm »

The installation finished fine. It just won't boot up. It tries to, the loading bar goes all the way up and then tells me its a no go.

Integrated graphics on a biostar mobo.

If you need more specific I'll look for it's old box.

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2010, 07:52:12 pm »

this is the mobo. http://www.biostar-usa.com/app/en-us/mb/content.php?S_ID=440

I do not know however what revision mine is.

So that would be •Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950, On Board Graphic

The hard drive is a wd
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 07:55:41 pm by 1984 » Logged
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2010, 08:14:49 pm »

Can you do this? Start your system and select linux-tui at the boot manager screen. This should boot in text mode and you won't see a "loading bar." (I always boot in text mode and had no idea what you were talking about because I never see a loading bar.) When you wind up at the login prompt, sign in with your user name and password. You won't see anything when you type the password (by design), but hit Enter and you'll be at a prompt. Then su to root and run vxconf. Then exit back to user and type
startx
at a prompt. Tell us what happens.

Please refresh my memory: what version of VectorLinux are you using and what is your desktop environment (XFce, IceWM, KDE, other)?

I noticed in your motherboard spec page that you have Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950. In my limited experience, Intel integrated graphics can be beasts to get working in VectorLinux. I don't know if yours is one of the troublesome chips. Don't give up!  The people on this forum can probably help (I hope<g>).
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2010, 04:25:31 pm »

Log in to TUI as root, run VASM -> XWINDOW -> XCONF and choose the VESA driver...

http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/docs/vl60/manuals/vl6_admin_vasm_en.html#xwindow

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2010, 06:56:21 pm »

How do I log in text mode? When I start up the machine it asks me whether I want to start in windows or vector. I choose Vector and it go's straight to the loading screen.

It's vector standard by the way.

The exact error it's giveing me is something about no screens found.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2010, 07:28:13 pm »

How do I log in text mode? When I start up the machine it asks me whether I want to start in windows or vector. I choose Vector and it go's straight to the loading screen.

It's vector standard by the way.

The exact error it's giveing me is something about no screens found.

Are you at a text screen when Vector loads? You should see a prompt that says computername login. You type in your user name at the prompt. Next you'll see a line that says Password. You type your user password there. It'll mention something about mail (ignore that) and "You are working as user username."

Once you see that, you type su at a prompt. Then you type the root password at the Password line. You now are seen as root and can run VASM's xconf, or vxconf directly (not through VASM). You can also edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change the video driver line in the Section "Device":
Driver      "intel"
or
Driver      "vesa"

After you save the edited xorg.conf, type
exit
at the prompt so you are back to running in your user account. Then type
startx
to start the X server and XFce (assuming that's your desktop environment). If startx doesn't do it, type startxfce4 at the prompt and see if that works better.

The "no screens found" is a sort of bogus message. I don't know what it refers to, but it's associated with X not running or something to do with the user or root and you can ignore it at this point.

By the way, if you choose Windows in your boot loader screen, does Windows start? When you choose VectorLinux, do you then get to a LILO screen that offers you linux, linux-tui, and linux-gui? If you don't have those choices, LILO isn't set up right. Let us know and we'll walk you through using VASM to set up a proper LILO. It's really important to have choices for linux-tui and linux-gui. Sometimes new users may omit those, thinking they don't need them.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2010, 08:15:42 pm »

I will try again and this thime document everything. Vector never loads. I select vector from the boot menu. It then goes to a screen that has the vector logo and a progress bar at the botom. the bar completes oki bu then vector never starts. It never asks for my password to log in.

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2010, 08:48:50 pm »

ok. Here is exactlly what happens.

Turn computer on

computer boots to os boot manager.

I select vector.

It then goes immediately to a screen with the vector logo big in the center. Vector Linux written underneath. And a progress loading bar under that.

It loads a bunch of stuff as if its booting up.

It reaches the end and a dos like in apearence window comes up that says

Failed to start X server (graphical interface) It is likely that it is not set up correctly. Would you like to veiw the x server output to diagnose the problem?

Using the keyboard I select yes.

It says a bunch of stuff but the acctually error report at the botom is

(EE) problem parsing the config file
(EE) problem parsing the config file

Fatal server error:
no screens found

I select ok and it asks me whether I want to view the detailed repot. I select yes and the specific error is.

(WW) xf86CloseConsole: KDSENTMODE FAILED: BAD FILE DESCRIPTOR
(WW) xf86CloseConsole: GETMODE FAILED: BAD FILE DESCRIPTOR

NO SCREENS FOUND
NO SCREENS FOUND

Pressing keys and doing control, alt F1 dose nothing. it simply takes me back to the screen with the logo and loading bar and proceeds to do nothing until I shut the computer down.

Then I logged backed on and made this post here using windows.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 08:50:27 pm by 1984 » Logged
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2010, 03:08:38 am »

Try press ALT + F2 or F3 to enter virtual console...
If it work then log in as root and run VASM...run the xconfig again...

Log in to TUI as root, run VASM -> XWINDOW -> XCONF and choose the VESA driver...

http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/docs/vl60/manuals/vl6_admin_vasm_en.html#xwindow

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2010, 10:54:33 am »

Ok I am now posting this using firefox on vector. I'm not exactly sure what I did in Vasm. I do know I'm running in 16bit color though.

I'm going to try to figure this out. I'll probably have alot more questions.

The alt F3 trick did it. Thanks.
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2010, 04:29:26 pm »

Maybe you can post us your x.org...
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: