VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Linux file system questions...  (Read 729 times)

haywire

• Vectorian
Linux file system questions...
« on: August 03, 2010, 08:51:46 am »

Can someone please explain to me...

In dos case does not matter. Not sure, but I don't think case matters in windows either. Folders and files are listed alphabetically.

In linux, its confusing. Does linux list #'s and symbols first, then upper case then lower case?

I'd be happy to make everything uppercase to prevent the confusion I sometimes feeling trying to find a folder or icon.
I just want to make sure I understand exactly the oder in which it lists files/folders before trying to organize some of the mess I made.

Thank you all for your kind assistance and for everyone who has helped me continually learn more.

Steven

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Linux file system questions...
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 09:10:28 am »

That depends. The `ls` command in linux is very flexible, see
Code: [Select]
man ls for all available arguments

sledgehammer

• Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 10:15:37 pm »

I think the reason linux is so case sensitive is that it increases options.  But I agree that it is sometimes confusing to have to scroll through the capitalized files before finding a lower case file.  You sort of just get used to it.  I think speed may be another reason. One thing is that Thunar and 4pane, in my opinion, seem to do a better job with this issue than does the faster pcmanfm. Nonetheless, I generally use pcmanfm for its speed.
VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511

retired1af

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 10:27:11 pm »

Each character has its own ASCII code which Linux translates literally. While it can be a pain in the backside, it opens up a lot more options when dealing with commands and file names.
ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 05:12:12 am »

KDE's Konqueror disregards the case when sorting files/folders, that may be an option in other file managers as well.

DOS/Windows is case insensitive.