VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 01:58:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux file system questions...  (Read 572 times)
haywire
Vectorian

« on: August 03, 2010, 07:51:46 am »

Can someone please explain to me...

In dos case does not matter. Not sure, but I don't think case matters in windows either. Folders and files are listed alphabetically.

In linux, its confusing. Does linux list #'s and symbols first, then upper case then lower case?

I'd be happy to make everything uppercase to prevent the confusion I sometimes feeling trying to find a folder or icon.
I just want to make sure I understand exactly the oder in which it lists files/folders before trying to organize some of the mess I made.

Thank you all for your kind assistance and for everyone who has helped me continually learn more.

Steven
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 08:10:28 am »

That depends. The `ls` command in linux is very flexible, see
Code:
man ls
for all available arguments

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 09:15:37 pm »

I think the reason linux is so case sensitive is that it increases options.  But I agree that it is sometimes confusing to have to scroll through the capitalized files before finding a lower case file.  You sort of just get used to it.  I think speed may be another reason. One thing is that Thunar and 4pane, in my opinion, seem to do a better job with this issue than does the faster pcmanfm. Nonetheless, I generally use pcmanfm for its speed.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 09:27:11 pm »

Each character has its own ASCII code which Linux translates literally. While it can be a pain in the backside, it opens up a lot more options when dealing with commands and file names.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 04:12:12 am »

KDE's Konqueror disregards the case when sorting files/folders, that may be an option in other file managers as well.

DOS/Windows is case insensitive.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: