VectorLinux
April 23, 2014, 07:02:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: downgraded? vll 6.0 to vl 64 bit 5.9  (Read 854 times)
vexxed

« on: August 03, 2010, 12:03:25 pm »

Dhcp isn't assigning me an ip address on 5.9, as it would on 6.0. The tutorials I find suggest using commands that aren't always available. The files I'm suggested to modify sometimes modify themselves when I run commands I'm suggested to run. Is there a specific set of files I can copy from 6.0 to 5.9 that will properly configure my dhcp, considering all is well on 6.0.  Everything  else appears to be functioning with the card after I downloaded the 64bit driver and compiled kernal source to obtain wl.ko while then inserting the alias and module name into modprobe.

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 12:41:27 pm »

I'm sorry, Did you just say you compiled a 64bit driver on a 32bit OS?

Your symptoms indicate that you probably have a daemon in the background trying to handle network connections, while you are at the same time trying to set it manually.

DHCP is one of the things I've never had problems with in VL, but then again, my hardware is well supported most of the time.

downgrading seems like the wrong move to me, and quite frankly I dont understand why you're compiling a 64bit driver and kernel module if you are running a 32bit os.
Or maybe I understood wrong... maybe you already downgraded from 6.0 to 64bit 5.9, which is still not the best move. 5.9 has older kernel and hardware supports, older software, etc... no reason to downgrade.

Why dont you post the specs of the network card in question, and get back on 6.0 and go from there.

vexxed

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 01:25:12 pm »

I have already downgraded.
I compiled the 64bit driver for the 64bit version of VL 5.9.

The computer is
Dell Inspiron I1521
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 1.80GHz

The Wireless Card is Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-card.
or Broadcom 440x10/100 Integrated Controller.

So says Device Manager in windows ( stuck fragmenting at the moment )
But when I ran
lspci
from VL terminal it returned
Broadcam Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01)
I looked up and secured the correct module, I believe, as well as properly set things up by inserting an alias into modprobe.conf, as well as set it to auto start.
iwlist scan? wlist scan?
as well as wifi radar ( once set up ) are detecting networks in range.

ifconfig
and
iwconfig
are returning that the interface is up and running.
The access point is there, I've had a connection that registered signal strength at one point, but I've seemed to have lost what ever setting was even getting me that far.
I've done a little messing around trying to assign a static IP address but I haven't had any luck.
Connecting through Wifi Radar yields me a Cannot obtain IP address.
Running
init 2
then going to root and running
vasm
Seems to allow me to set some settings for my wireless adapter but none seem to stick that well and while it tells me I connect, I'm still getting no IP address.
I've done some fiddling with rc.d/inet.rc??? ( most likely mispelled ) to try to set up the interface to use DHCP, but it seems to want to not work or revert back to only supporting eth0 which is for landline ethernet connections.

My reasoning for downgrading is because I intend to use the Eclipse Java IDE and I'm hoping that with this version of Vector Linux, with how heavy Eclipse can be, that I'll have better performance than I would on the other version of VL while I can also install and use the 64bit version of the JDK as well.

A lot of stuff I've read online seems to have people going down a route where they run
dhclient eth1
or
netconfig
but I don't seem to have those commands whether I'm logged into root or just me.

I think I'm really close, but at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if I have no clue what I'm doing  Cheesy

Side note ( if this is the direction I go, I basically get left behind as the rest of the community moves on, I should be able to find most support by following threads or posting questions where the topic is of slackware??)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 01:40:17 pm by vexxed » Logged
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 02:56:36 pm »

Where did you obtain a 64-bit version of Vector Linux? There was never an official release made and what is available for testing/development is VERY spartan.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
vexxed

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 02:59:36 pm »

From http://vectorlinux.com/downloads
Download VectorLinux 64bits Edition Beta2 - http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/VL64-5.9/iso-release/VL64-5.9-STD-B2.iso
All the power of VectorLinux optimized for the newest 64 bits CPU. Enjoy the outstanding speed and stability of this operative system. Multimedia, Flash and Java supported out of the box! This is a development release, please test and give us your reports.

Very Spartan... I believe that is what I want. If I didn't want to install the Eclipse IDE, I'd be looking for a version of linux with nothing in the gui available but an internet explorer and an off key.

Other than that I just need a basic nokia phone and a pack of cigarettes

Any suggestions for getting this thing working??
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 03:11:01 pm by vexxed » Logged
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 03:13:13 pm »

Download VL 6.0 STD. I believe you will be surprised at the
difference. Your network and such should work.

Bigpaws
vexxed

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 03:14:17 pm »

Is there anything I can do with this to get it running??
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/VL64-6.0/
vexxed

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 03:24:42 pm »

Download VL 6.0 STD. I believe you will be surprised at the
difference. Your network and such should work.

Bigpaws

I'm lost as to why I shouldn't pursue getting this going?
I originally had 6.0 light edition, and the move to 5.9 has been enough of a surprise for me.
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 03:46:16 pm »

The 64-bit version is beta. It was never released as a finished product. You'd be better off installing VL6 and working with that.

Having said that, I've worked with 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Linux and the speed difference is negligible.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
vexxed

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 03:55:04 pm »

I let you guys know what happens, it seems like the issue can be resolved.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 04:07:04 pm by vexxed » Logged
vexxed

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 05:11:53 pm »

From what I'm reading, 64bit might be faster but it'll need more ram. On the 32 bit, ill probably already be using most if not too much ram.  32bit for me, for now, thanks everyone
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 08:38:51 am »

From what I'm reading, 64bit might be faster but it'll need more ram. On the 32 bit, ill probably already be using most if not too much ram.  32bit for me, for now, thanks everyone

This is a myth. The differences in performance are so minimal they're undetectable, unless you're doing heavy video editing or some CPU eating task... but for most desktop operations, you should not notice any difference at all.

I suggest you go back to 6.0 STD or even SOHO

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: