VectorLinux
September 23, 2014, 08:07:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hard drive purchase consideration  (Read 686 times)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: August 05, 2010, 05:30:31 pm »

Looks like Western Digital only wants the business of Windows users: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/western-digital-disk-diagnostic-tools-are-windows-only/9235
Guess that's understandable, as only a few fringe players don't use Windows. You know, like Google, Apple, Amazon.com, New York Stock Exchange, and a few others.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 05:47:18 pm »

Does any drive manufacturer offer Linux diagnostic tools? I suspect not. However, I believe WD  and Seagate do have tools on a CD (or ISO you can burn to a CD) that boots independently of the OS on the drive.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 06:00:08 pm »

I admit to giving in to a little sensationalist temptation here.  Wink

Most drive manufacturers release diagnostic tools that can be run from a live CD or floppy. Usually DOS-based. In WD's case, it appears they do have those kinds of tools available, except for a certain line of drives. What got me was the quote:
Code:
We manufacture our hard drives, build our software and test them on Windows operating systems only.

Hopefully, this is just an "easy out" used by a support person to get rid of a pesky Linux user.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: