VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Hard drive purchase consideration  (Read 885 times)

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Hard drive purchase consideration
« on: August 05, 2010, 06:30:31 pm »

Looks like Western Digital only wants the business of Windows users: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/western-digital-disk-diagnostic-tools-are-windows-only/9235
Guess that's understandable, as only a few fringe players don't use Windows. You know, like Google, Apple, Amazon.com, New York Stock Exchange, and a few others.

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
Re: Hard drive purchase consideration
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 06:47:18 pm »

Does any drive manufacturer offer Linux diagnostic tools? I suspect not. However, I believe WD  and Seagate do have tools on a CD (or ISO you can burn to a CD) that boots independently of the OS on the drive.
--GrannyGeek
Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Hard drive purchase consideration
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 07:00:08 pm »

I admit to giving in to a little sensationalist temptation here.  ;)

Most drive manufacturers release diagnostic tools that can be run from a live CD or floppy. Usually DOS-based. In WD's case, it appears they do have those kinds of tools available, except for a certain line of drives. What got me was the quote:
Code: [Select]
We manufacture our hard drives, build our software and test them on Windows operating systems only.
Hopefully, this is just an "easy out" used by a support person to get rid of a pesky Linux user.