VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: [SOLVED] firefox/icewm doesn't change title bar  (Read 2085 times)

roarde

• Vectorian
  • move the needle
[SOLVED] firefox/icewm doesn't change title bar
« on: August 08, 2010, 11:56:50 am »

Using VL 6.0 light, firefox, icewm with IceGil Grey theme.

When viewing the site http://www.forthcommunity.com/, the window's title bar doesn't change to the webpage's title. I'm sure this is due to the bullet in the title; but other users, including some using icewm/ff, are reporting no problem.

If I use the same setup, but Opera instead, the title bar changes but displays an odd character in place of the bullet.

How do I find and fix the source of the problem?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 04:35:46 pm by sixforty »
Robert
VL 7.1 Light

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
Re: firefox/icewm doesn't change title bar
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 06:16:16 pm »

I get the same results as you at that site with Firefox 3.6.8 and VL6 Light. The Firefox title bar does change at other sites and in Opera 10.60. I don't  know why the title bar doesn't change at that site but it does at others. Perhaps it's due to coding at the site? I don't know enough about HTML to hazard a guess.
--GrannyGeek
Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
Re: firefox/icewm doesn't change title bar
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 11:59:37 am »

I would try changing encoding to utf-8. It used to be a problem some time ago because many applications were not unicode aware, but I think it's safe now (I use it). Anyway, it is easy to revert if you find problems.
Open your /etc/profile.d/lang.sh, find the line starting with export LANG= and make it look like this:

export LANG=xx_XX.utf-8

Where xx_XX is your locale.

HTH
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!

roarde

• Vectorian
  • move the needle
Re: [SOLVED] firefox/icewm doesn't change title bar
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 04:36:35 pm »

That was it, rbistolfi. Thank you.
Robert
VL 7.1 Light