VectorLinux
September 02, 2014, 03:42:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Apologies for Doubting Vector  (Read 1226 times)
davec51

« on: August 08, 2010, 11:49:15 am »

Awhile ago I posted some frustrated comments about Vector 6.0 Standard. I couldn't access my Windows files on a wired network, and I guess I couldn't successfully follow the fixes that were posted for me. Then I installed Vector 6.0 KDE, and suddenly there were no problems.
Now I'm using Vector as my everyday OS and it's delightful: easy, stable, and fun. Thanks to those who tried to help.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 12:37:49 pm »

Everyone here have experienced frustrations from time to time. We know how you felt. And we're happy to have you back. Glad it's working for you.   Smiley
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 08:18:46 pm »

ditto nightflier

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 03:03:40 pm »

Linux can be a bit fickle on some hardware. Once it works good though, its usually incredibly stable and a joy to use.

Good luck...

Steven
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 03:47:17 am »

As I've stated elsewhere. Linux is user friendly. It's just picky about who it becomes friends with.   Grin

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 11:14:35 am »

Yes I really like that line and actually if you think about it, its really true.

I guess its like some people too who have a reputation for not being friendly. Some people you have to get to know a bit before they get friendly with you.

Once you learn a bit more about linux, it really is friendly and a powerful system....

Steven
Murdock

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 08:33:00 am »

I've run them ALL over the years and now I see no need to dual boot with anything. I have virtual box loaded but have yet to find something else to try in it.
Maybe MintDebian once they get it sorted out.
Vector is pretty damn incredible and stretchedthins videos are,IMO, VERY important.
I'm hooked. Wink

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 04:23:06 pm »

I lost interest in using other distros years ago. I did try several before I noticed how much faster Vector was than the others. The speed has continued and I don't see any point in installing other distros when Vector has everything I need.

I decided I'd benefit more by becoming very familiar with one distro than by dabbling in a few.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 01:15:46 am »

We are all creatures of habit.  I try other distros out of curiosity but never stray from Vector as my main work machine.   Same as if I install Soho I straight away put IceWM on and use that as my primary WM.  I like the Vector customisation of it.   Its good to see what other distros do and how they work, some useful ideas there for Vector and Vector feeds useful ideas back.  I love the way this distro has grown and been responsive to the needs of people.  It has kept the original philosophy with a light version that is great for old hardware (and damned fast on new), while at the same time developing a really good standard version for middle weight systems and SOHO for those that want more out of the box.  Of course you can add what you like via the repositories starting from the light version as a base, great flexibility.  And if you want to support the efforts of the team you can buy the Deluxe versions - which I am about to do shortly!
gn-2010

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 01:56:22 am »

why apologize? i don't understand.
Linux is not perfect and it can be extremely frustrating especially when you got urgent work to do but can't get around it.we all understand that.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2010, 09:06:34 pm »

And if you want to support the efforts of the team you can buy the Deluxe versions - which I am about to do shortly!

One can also make a donation to VectorLinux. This is good if you can't afford the price of the Deluxe versions (though it's hard to see how because they cost very little) or if you don't want to download Deluxe or get the mailed CDs but want to support VectorLinux. In that case I suggest donating the price of the Deluxe CD. I've done that a few times, but now that we have the fast, dedicated downloads for Deluxe, I buy it. I just installed SOHO Deluxe with XFce on my older desktop and it's fantastic, as I expected. It'll soon be going on my faster desktop. My Dell laptop will stay with VL Light due to its hardware limitations. It's theoretically faster than my Celeron desktop, but being an old laptop it feels slower in use.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: