VectorLinux
September 19, 2014, 01:31:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Repairing Alsa  (Read 1249 times)
stanz0

« on: August 08, 2010, 07:16:41 pm »

Hello Gentlefolks.

For some unknown reason, alsa got messed up on my installation of VL6.

I could issue any command line controlls to amixer for example, and there was no sound from any app.

I regret to say, that I didnt remember to do the audio channel tests.

In any case, I decided to reinstall alsa. (Quite Drastic, I admit).

Well, Gslapt couldnt REinstall it - so I decided on removing it -then installing it again. I would have no such luck.

The package alsa-driver (which I removed) is now, nowhere to be found in my package list.

It is in no VL repo, nor is it on the CD.  (heh, no wonder glapt couldnt reinstall it ; o)

I'd love for someone to lead me in a method, of restoring alsa in such the way that VL does it upon installation.

This is if I were to try compiling the original alsa SOURCE, I gather I would have to recompile my kernel.

I dont want to recompile my kernel! :\
(so bare with me)

Thanks!

roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 08:08:18 pm »

Alsa-driver packages are in the kernels repo http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/kernels/drivers/. Gslapt doesn't see it because it's locked out in Gslapt's (slapt-get's) config file, slapt-getrc. At this time, Vector isn't set up for automatic kernel/module updates, thus the lockout.

Sorry not to provide enough info to fix the problem. Falling asleep, but wanted to post at least some info, as it's typically not a good night/time for frequent responses here. Real help will, I'm sure, appear later.

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
stanz0

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 03:30:36 pm »

Hey Sixforty,

AH Yes, I remember that menu Smiley

Thanks much for the clarification.

Hope you had a good rest.
stanz0

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 06:31:32 pm »

Well, Alsa is installed, but alsaconf does not find my ESS maestro Sound card    (Dell Inspiron 8100).

Anyone have any Ideas?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 03:01:30 am »

After installing the alsa-driver package (the one made specifically for your kernel), you need to run command:
depmod -aq
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: