VectorLinux
December 20, 2014, 08:10:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: SOHO VL-6 Final bug reports  (Read 11448 times)
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 10:55:35 am »

hello,

a bit temperamental this vector!
for installation:

1) you must install the 2 CDs, unlike older versions where one CD was enough.
2) after the first start, make fsck after login as root, then restart to finally have the configuration.
3) then you're set!

after very nice desktop under KDE 4. it works very well and fast KDE 4!

@ + Petitbob

As the new KDE4 grew in size, and the tremendous amount of new hardware to be covered, there was little choice but to add an additional CD.
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2010, 11:01:24 am »

the .kde directory will always get created if it doesn't exist. That's where KDE stores your settings and preferences and all the hidden stuff.

There must be something causing it to freeze at that point though... Did you change any of the preferences, appearance or anything after the desktop shows up?

Try deleting the dir again, logging out and back in, not change anything, then log out and back in... see if it still freezes.

I delete the dir, but I still can't get by the post-sign-in screen. The first icon appears clearly, then the others appear dimly and don't "attach," it seems. I haven't changed anything that I can think of.

IF you deleted it once and were then able to get to a desktop, that's good news. As M0E-lnx pointed out, that gets recreated by KDE if it is not already present. Try going into /etc/skel/ and rename the ".kde" to ".kde.old". Reboot the machine and see if you are able to get to a desktop more than once.
Let us know, thanks.
niiler

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2010, 05:46:56 pm »

This is a repost from the Announcements area, where it was wrongly posted. Sorry.
I just installed 6.0 Soho, including CD2. I can't boot: The process goes as far as the last icon after signin (is that the desktop?) and stops. I have installed twice, tried to start x as both user and root. I have to turn off the computer and turn on again.
I have a PentiumIV machine with an Intel graphics card, 512MB RAM. I have Vector 6.0KDE on another partition, and it works perfectly.

I'm having a similar problem but with KDE.   (By the way, the install was just fine).  When I attempt to login as any user, including root, KDE starts showing the icons, but just before it gets to the last one, the screen goes black and the X server seems to restart.  And then, voila, I am back to the login prompt.  I then went to failsafe and deleted my .kde folders in both /root and /home/user and tried again.  No luck.   Then I started up gslapt from the failsafe xterm and downloaded ICEWM.  Other than a couple of missing icons, this started up just fine.  There are no errors that I can detect in /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

The only other similar problem I have found is here:
http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=87378&start=15
but I don't believe that this is the cause of my woes since I believe we keep our icons elsewhere.

I am doing my testing on a two year old VectorLinux special desktop computer from MadTux.  Here are the specs for the curious in case it matters.
/sbin/lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. CN700/VN800/P4M800CE/Pro Host Bridge
00:00.1 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. CN700/VN800/P4M800CE/Pro Host Bridge
00:00.2 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. CN700/VN800/P4M800CE/Pro Host Bridge
00:00.3 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. PT890 Host Bridge
00:00.4 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. CN700/VN800/P4M800CE/Pro Host Bridge
00:00.7 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. CN700/VN800/P4M800CE/Pro Host Bridge
00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237 PCI Bridge
00:0f.0 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VIA VT6420 SATA RAID Controller (rev 80)
00:0f.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 81)
00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 81)
00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 81)
00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 81)
00:10.4 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 86)
00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237 ISA bridge [KT600/K8T800/K8T890 South]
00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 60)
00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 78)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. UniChrome Pro IGP (rev 01)

cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : CentaurHauls
cpu family      : 6
model           : 10
model name      : VIA Esther processor 1500MHz
stepping        : 9
cpu MHz         : 1496.130
cache size      : 128 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge cmov pat clflush acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 tm nx up pni rng rng_en ace ace_en ace2 ace2_en phe phe_en pmm pmm_en
bogomips        : 2992.2

Any thoughts?  Is there a log file I should be posting?

Thanks for any and all help!
Tim Niiler
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 06:26:16 pm by niiler » Logged
caieng

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2010, 04:29:58 am »

Thanks to all for many helpful suggestions during the past year.  Much appreciated.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/blog/caieng-308178/internet-radio-stations-comparing-32-and-64-bit-cpus-3086/

CAI ENG
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2010, 08:19:29 am »

Several pre-releases back I was having difficulty with the down arrow and end keys (not those on the numpad) not working intermittently and this was again the case with SOHO Final. One fix that was suggested was to delete ~/.Xmodmap. This seemed to help but only temporarily. I then noted that most of my issues were in a console after I would su to root. Even after exiting root back to user as long as that console was open those two key did not work. The fix I then instituted was to comment out the two lines in .Xmodmap for root and user instead of deleting a file that just gets recreated. It would seem that the default US keymap redirects keycode 115 and 116 to F15 and F16 respectively which doesn't send the down arrow or end sequences. I'm have never needed F15 or F16 in fact F13 or F14 either. Anyway, this works (for the past 24 hours or so) but I've not rebooted my box either (uptime almost 8 days).

As for the overall feel of the final release: I still can't load it on my laptop due to xorg's nVidia GeForce Go 7150M non-support but it works wonderfully on my desktop. I just need a PAE enabled kernel to see all 6Gb of RAM (which I think there are others out there who would like that too until a 64-bit VL is available). Perhaps I'll work on that if I get a bit of time to do so.

Thank you very much dev team.

Mike

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
niiler

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2010, 05:29:05 pm »

I'm having a similar problem but with KDE.   (By the way, the install was just fine).  When I attempt to login as any user, including root, KDE starts showing the icons, but just before it gets to the last one, the screen goes black and the X server seems to restart.  And then, voila, I am back to the login prompt.  I then went to failsafe and deleted my .kde folders in both /root and /home/user and tried again.  No luck.   Then I started up gslapt from the failsafe xterm and downloaded ICEWM.  Other than a couple of missing icons, this started up just fine.  There are no errors that I can detect in /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

Alright, I'm starting to run this down a bit.  There is a thread at the Ubuntu forums:
   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-openchrome/+bug/471646
which seems to be my problem exactly.  While Xorg.0.log showed no errors, I did eventually find one line in my /var/log/kdm.log file:
X: main/renderbuffer.c:2159: _mesa_reference_renderbuffer: Assertion `oldRb->Magic == 0xaabbccdd' failed.
There were no other errors I could track down.  There are several claims which I have not verified.  First to check if this is the case, change your xorg.conf file to include:
Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AIGLX" "off"
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection
Second, that this particular problem is most common on Via s3g Unichrome IGP KM400/KN400/P4M800[S3 Unichrome] chipsets (which is more, or less what I have on this machine).   Third, that this may be a problem in the mesa library. 

I'm going to create a basic xorg.conf file and test to see if the above options work.  Currently I'm just using HAL instead (as per the new standard).  By the way, I'm using the VESA driver at the current time, not OpenChrome.  I will repost with results one way or the other.

Cheers,
Tim N.
niiler

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2010, 05:48:47 pm »

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AIGLX" "off"
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

What you see above is the entirety of my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.  I changed it, logged out from XFCE, logged back in at the KDM screen to KDE, and after a very slow start (this is usual for the first time KDE runs for a user), I got in to my KDE 4.4.2 desktop.   After letting Nepomuk do its thing and doing initial starts on some programs, the desktop seems responsive, but nowhere near as fast as XFCE or IceWM.  [Old geezer]Back in my day KDE 3.x seemed a bit faster, but that may be me[/Old geezer]. 

What's the bottom line?
1) For some reason (chipset?) KDE4 needs tweaking before it will run on this desktop.
2) KDE4 *may* be slower than expected due to the xorg.conf settings.
3) There is limited eye-candy due to lack of compositing.
4) I'm not sure what we can do about this???

Anyhow, I wanted to offer this up to anyone else who has had these difficulties, and thank the distro team for taking the time to put all this together.

Cheers,
Tim N.
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2010, 06:40:35 pm »

SOHO 6 isn't really made for the ancient machines. On my 2GHz notebook, it works fine as long as I don't over do it with the eye candy (ATI x1250 chipset). For the older machines VL 6 KDE may be a better choice.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2010, 07:00:08 pm »

SOHO 6 isn't really made for the ancient machines. On my 2GHz notebook, it works fine as long as I don't over do it with the eye candy (ATI x1250 chipset). For the older machines VL 6 KDE may be a better choice.

SOHO 6 RC3 is  working splendidly on my 1.3 GHz Celeron, which is quite long in the tooth as computers go. However, I use XFce as my desktop environment, not KDE, simply because I don't like any version of KDE, never have I since I started using Linux years ago. I like using SOHO because it has newer kernel and libraries.

KDE4 hasn't run badly when I've used it under VL6 SOHO. However, I usually use it only as long as I need to for something I can do best under KDE (which is just about  nothing). XFce on my computer also runs okay when I use a KDE program, which means KDE libraries are loaded. K3B is the KDE program I use the  most and it runs very well indeed. I'm not big on eye candy, can't stand compiz, turn off all KDE effects just so I don't have to look at them on the occasions I may need to run KDE.

One nice thing about Linux desktops is we can customize them the way we want, even to the point of not using the distro's default desktop.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2010, 08:26:55 pm »

SOHO 6 RC3 is  working splendidly on my 1.3 GHz Celeron, which is quite long in the tooth as computers go. However, I use XFce as my desktop environment, not KDE, simply because I don't like any version of KDE, never have I since I started using Linux years ago. I like using SOHO because it has newer kernel and libraries.

One nice thing about Linux desktops is we can customize them the way we want, even to the point of not using the distro's default desktop.
--GrannyGeek

Shake hands! It's just too bad that Gnome is not easily made available for slackware type distros.
Not that I use it for a desktop, I am fluxboxer, gnome-panel on occasion, however, gnome has some really good programs.
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2010, 03:17:15 am »

Bleh! Never really did like Gnome...

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
niiler

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2010, 06:09:59 am »

Bleh! Never really did like Gnome...

While I have used Gnome, IceWM, XFCE, XPDE, and all the others, I keep returning to KDE because of its customizability.  There's not a doubt that IceWM (for example) uses fewer resources, but the KDE eye candy is, to me, like chocolate: not strictly necessary, but it makes life sweeter.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2010, 06:46:26 am »

There's not a doubt that IceWM (for example) uses fewer resources, but the KDE eye candy is, to me, like chocolate: not strictly necessary, but it makes life sweeter.
good one Wink

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2010, 12:14:12 pm »

I don't like KDE but I don't like Gnome, either. XFce4 is my favorite (and I find it very customizable) with IceWM a close second. You can pretty up IceWM with fancier icons and your favorite wallpaper and it does support transparency (or at least looks like it does). That's about as far as I care to go with eye candy.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2010, 12:30:36 pm »

FWIW, since everyone is posting their favorites, here goes mine.

I like gnome. (yes I know.. I said it)... but I hate the default configuration. With that said, I *always* take out the dual panels (hate my menus on the top of the screen, and just the overall gnome menu), configure a single panel, on the bottom, add my hacked version of the mintmenu, couple of launchers, followed by the task bar, pager, notification area, and clock.

The end result is a beautiful panel with a jaw-dropping menu. Wink

I know it's still gnome, and heavy as it is, but... You have to hand it out to those guys, it really does everything... and I mean everything. From printer auto-configure to seemless file sharing with samba, linux, etc. I figured, I have the hardware resources to run it... why not?

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: