VectorLinux
April 17, 2014, 04:09:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I can't log into GUI mode  (Read 1546 times)
kaege

« on: August 30, 2010, 05:16:57 pm »

I just installed VectorLinux 6.0 Standard Gold in my laptop (Sony VAIO PCG-993L). The installation went smoothly, but when I boot the GUI mode, it went to text mode instead. I tried to use "start xfce4" and "start x" to login to GUI mode but failed. It said about files that weren't found. The same thing also happened when I tried to play music in the text mode. What actually the problem is? Did VectorLinux not recognize some of my laptop's hardware?
Ralph_Ellis

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 05:28:22 pm »

Begin by changing to the root user and run vxconf. Either allow the system to do an autoprobe or choose vesa which is the most basic compatible window display available.
Vesa should work on virtually any modern graphics card. If that works, you could experiment with other display drivers since you could always just switch back to vesa if you needed to.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 08:13:24 pm »

I just installed VectorLinux 6.0 Standard Gold in my laptop (Sony VAIO PCG-993L). The installation went smoothly, but when I boot the GUI mode, it went to text mode instead. I tried to use "start xfce4" and "start x" to login to GUI mode but failed. It said about files that weren't found. The same thing also happened when I tried to play music in the text mode. What actually the problem is? Did VectorLinux not recognize some of my laptop's hardware?

The commands are
startxfce4
and
startx.
Note: no space in either. If you actually did type "start xfce4" and "start x" you'll get an error message about file not found or command not found.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
kaege

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 04:52:43 pm »

This is the what the console looked like when I tried  "startxfce4" and "startx".

Vector:/~
root:# vxconf
root:# startxfce4
/usr/bin/startxfce4: Starting X server
X: error while loading shared libraries: libz.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
xinit: Server error.
root:# startx
xauth: creating new authority file /root/.serverauth.3270
X: error while loading shared libraries: libz.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
xinit: Server error.

On top of that, I can't even use vxconf or vasm. I'm not sure what's actually wrong in the system.
Ralph_Ellis

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 05:54:15 pm »

It could be that xorg is not properly installed into your system. Try as root
slapt-get -u
slapt-get -i xorg-server
slapt-get -i x11-skel
slapt-get -i xorg-cf-files
slapt-get -i xorg-sgml-doctools

Then reboot and try vxconf. If you don't have a working x setup after that, I would go for a complete reinstall.
There is a chance that your installation disks are corrupted. You can check the md5sum to make sure that it is okay or just download the installation disk again.
Ralph_Ellis

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 06:05:15 pm »

It occurs to me that if vasm or vxconf is not installed in your system the whole installation must be broken. You might be able to fix it by downloading packages from the repository using slapt-get but if you don't get a response quickly from that angle, I would go to a full reinstall.
If you try to install something with a lot of dependencies, then it might pull in enough to get the system going.
Try
slapt-get -u
slapt-get --upgrade
slapt-get -i xfce4 or slapt-get -i kde or kde-meta
slapt-get -i vasm
slapt-get -i gslapt

If you have to reinstall, download the cd again and burn it to disk at a lower speed. Sometimes this reduces errors.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: