VectorLinux
April 17, 2014, 02:04:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to have Vector Linux and Windows at one pc.  (Read 891 times)
hyperfreak

« on: August 14, 2010, 03:48:57 am »

I downloaded folder and i have little problem.Before useing Vector i used opensuse and it was doing the job for me about the boot menu so i hadnt problems.Vector Linux needs a little more attenction and iam afraid that i cant get it to work.I Curently have installed Windows xp and i like to install and use Vector Linux but to keep windows Since some of programs and games i use are there.I tryed to install vector linux and it all worked fine but iam not able to set up the boot menu to have option to choose between Windows and Vector Linux.First time i installed but when i restarted i was able to choose only windows Sad Second time i installed Vector Linux again and this time only Vector Linux was show Sad i tryed to set some options from the Vector Linux settings but all i get was grub loader or somethink like that and i wasnt able to open linux or windoes.Somehow i fixed that and now i can use windows bit i like and need to have Vector Linux installed.Any sugestions?
P.s sorry if this is in wrong place. Sad
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 03:51:11 am »

Need to know a few things.

1. Which version of VL?
2. Are you trying to use LILO or GRUB

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
hyperfreak

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 03:55:20 am »

I downloaded it few days ago.Its version 6.I tryed lilo but as i said had windows and then the linux only.Tryed with grub but i got only dark blank screen with option to type some commands i dont know and understand.
All i whant is to be able to choose when i start my pc between windows and vl.And i like to set up that in the easyest way.That is all.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 07:05:16 pm »

I use the XP boot loader on the computers where I have XP and VectorLinux in a dual boot. See http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=1073.msg6559#msg6559 for instructions about how to do this.

What I don't know is where you've installed LILO and if it's in the MBR, whether the MBR has been messed up so that Windows can't boot. I'm not even sure if GRUB is lurking somewhere and interfering with LILO. Someone else will have to help you with that.

If you can get into a Windows Recovery Console you can run a command at a terminal prompt to restore your MBR.The command is
fixmbr

If fixmbr restores your Master Boot Record to its pre-Linux condition, you'll be able to boot to Windows but not to VectorLinux. This can be fixed. You can boot into VectorLinux with the installation CD. If you don't know how to do this, let us know and someone will walk you through it. Once you're in VectorLinux, you can use VASM to set up LILO to the boot sector of your VectorLinux partition. Then follow the instructions in the HowTo link above to add a VectorLinux choice to your XP boot menu.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
hyperfreak

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 03:46:50 am »

That looks very easy.I will try it and see what i will do.I hope it will work Smiley
hyperfreak

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 01:45:15 pm »

Iam sorry for late reply.Just set up everythink..Reyed that in the post but that seems i had done in the wrong way.Anyway i re formated my win. and installed vector  linux after that and everythink is fine now.I have Vector Linux and windows at the same pc.Thank you very much for your help.
Everythink is fine now exept iam noob and cant create internet conection Sad
If u can please check this topic too:
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=12383.0
Thanks Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: