VectorLinux
September 17, 2014, 11:24:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Dell Inspiron 1100 VIDEO  (Read 2322 times)
Deach
Vectorite

« on: August 18, 2010, 04:31:40 pm »

OK I am bout ready to give up on this one.....I know Granny has one going (and I give her a standing ovation on this one) but I cannot get video on this thing.  It has that brookdale intel video.  Now here is the thing.  I put the VL KDE live disk in, it worked full screen and all...installed same, and after the reboot it was still there. Did another reboot and PUFF Black screen. I've tried VL light, and VL standard (which would be my preference) but at this point I'll take anything that will work.  (for the record I tried a couple other distros too and they did not work correctly either.   Can anyone tell me why the LIVE CD had video, and the first reboot, then NADDA?? I mean solid black after the verbose boot up stuff. 

For some reason there is no "linux gui/linux tui at the log in screen only "linux" which of course boots to VL Just lost on this one...Any help??

Thanks
Deach

Inspiron 4000 Laptop, VL 6.0  600 mhz; 384 ram : Inspiron1100 VL 6.0
Inspiron B120 & B130 Laptop, VL 6.0  1. 4& 1.5  ghz; 1gig ram
IBM Thinkpad Laptop, VL 6.0  1.5 ghz;  1 gig ram
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 06:23:37 pm »

The problem (I have run into this) is framebuffer. The changes in Xorg and the kernel
created a mess for the intel chipset.

Did you try Slackware 13.1?

You can load a live CD and change the /etc/inittab to run level 2

Then you should have at least a console to use. Then you could
try to get /var/log/Xorg.0.log and such.

I had an old laptop that had an S3 virge card. I could not get much performance out
of it. There was a live Cd for VL 4.0 and that worked. So I transfered xorg.conf to a
HDD install.

The problem that lies in that is there is no longer an xorg.conf (It can be used) since
everything is now using D-bus and HAL (Not something I agree with).

HTH

Bigpaws
Deach
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 06:58:00 pm »

Didn't try slack, but tried absolute (the latest release) I installed that and at least it would boot to an 800x600 screen.  I just don't understand how it works on the live CD and then not after the intstall.  I'm not quite done with it yet but man just been fighting and fighting this one.  Thanks. 

bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 06:59:35 pm »

My last big problem installing Linux took a year to solve.

I am very persistant.

Bigpaws
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 04:26:41 am »

Probably, the LiveCD got lucky picking video driver, refresh and resolution. Then, during installation, it did another hardware detection and chose different settings.

You can get to command line from the boot prompt. Select the boot entry line and press the Tab button. This makes it editable. Add a space and a 2, then press enter. It should boot to runlevel 2 (text only). Log in as root.

Next you should run command "vliloconf" and re-install the boot loader. By default it will now add a "TUI" option.

Then run "vxconf" to set up video. Test your settings using "startx".
Deach
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 04:29:36 am »

I'll give  it a go and check back.  Thanks. 

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 08:15:30 am »

I wish I could help, as my Inspiron 1100 graphics are working decently. I don't recall doing anything special. I did put kernel 2.6.31.8 on the laptop in hopes of easier wireless networking. All I can say is I'm using the plain xorg driver called intel and I do have 24-bit 1024x768 resolution.

A bit of history on this laptop--
Originally my daughter-in-law was using it with Windows XP and it came with 256 megs of RAM and a 20-gig hard drive. When she got a new laptop, she gave this one to her son, who was around 10 at the time. He managed to slow it down to unusability. They live far away, but when they were here for a visit in 2009 they brought along the laptop in hopes I could restore its speed (which was never that great anyway, with just 256 megs of RAM for XP). I did get it going after I got the viruses and malware off of it but I suggested VectorLinux to prevent the inevitable re-infestation. I installed VL6 Standard and don't recall any problems with video. Grandson got a new laptop for Christmas, so they gave the old Dell to me.

The laptop has a quirky CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo drive. It has trouble seeing some home-burned CDs. In fact, I had to create a bootable flash drive for VL6 Standard ISO with unetbootin in order to install Standard. Anyway, at that time I had no problem with the video. When I got the laptop for myself, I replaced the 20-gig drive with a 128-gig drive I had removed from a dead laptop and I replaced the RAM with two 512-meg sticks. I installed VL6 Light, no Windows. I used Light rather than Standard because the computer would boot from the Light installation CD but it wouldn't boot from the Standard installation CD and I no longer had the bootable flash drive I had used the year before. I think there were some video problems upon installation but somehow I got it working, probably with the help of my friend Google.

I updated the kernel to 2.6.31.8 and don't recall losing video. I did run into some problems, though. I think I got black screens upon login but after a reboot or two or four I did get video. I've had some problems with X causing a black screen with no keyboard or mouse response, requiring a turnoff. These are unusual now. I occasionally lose video completely and get a black screen after I tell IceWM to shut down, but the computer is not locked up and it completes the operation. Once in IceWM, I have no problems with video although the glxgears scores are terrible, as you'd expect. When I turn on that computer later today, I'll look through xorg.conf to see if I made any changes. If you start in text mode (runlevel 2), you can edit xorg.conf and the changes will be reflected the next time you run startx. I haven't found the Xorg log files in /var/log to be helpful. When you're working in text mode, you can do quite a lot of experimenting without rebooting as long as you don't lose video completely. Control-Alt-Backspace usually worked to get me back to a console if X failed. Just be sure to save a copy of your original xorg.conf file under another name so that you can easily restore to default if your changes don't help.

We have another old laptop with intel video (different chip). I tried kernel 2.6.31.8 on it but the video vibrated and jumped around  badly with that kernel. I went back to 2.6.27.29 and video is okay again.

I do recall spending a lot of time on Google related to one of these video chips but I don't remember if it was on the Dell or the other laptop (Toshiba).

If you do manage to get the Inspiron video working *once*, it'll probably work again after some number of restarts. It seems to settle in once it runs a few times and the problems lessen. I'll get back to you after I inspect my xorg.conf on the Dell.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 08:21:49 am »

The problem (I have run into this) is framebuffer. The changes in Xorg and the kernel
created a mess for the intel chipset.

[snip]

The problem that lies in that is there is no longer an xorg.conf (It can be used) since
everything is now using D-bus and HAL (Not something I agree with).

I've never selected the option to go with no xorg.conf. I find that file extremely useful and can't see any good reason to do without it.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 09:32:37 am »

I've never selected the option to go with no xorg.conf.

This is not an option, at least not that I am aware of.

The settings are now done using /etc/hal/fdi/....

Bigpaws
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 10:18:09 am »

I've always been given the option to choose whether I wish to run with or without xorg.conf during installation. As the notebook runs nicely without it, I've always selected "without".

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 11:38:42 am »

Well I guess Iearned something new.

Bigpaws
Deach
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 02:36:32 pm »

ok I"m gonna get back after it again later.  Thank you so much for all the input.  I know darn good and well if it boots off a live CD I should be able to make it work while installed.  Yes this laptop is a dog, only 128 cache on the CPU but, I think it's good enough for the grand kids and some stuff...It was a freebie so, I wanna make it work. 

On a side note I just did an IBM thinkpad and when I updated the kernel it had that video jumping also, so as you I went back to the install kernel.  Thanks Granny (et al) for the help.  Granny I am appreciative of you taking the time to look at the config and see if it helps.  I just don't want to give up......and it's still too usable to put into the trash...

Again thanks
Deach

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 06:44:54 pm »

I'm using the Inspiron 1100 right now. Looking through xorg.conf reminded me that I did have a mammoth struggle getting video to work and I combed through Google looking for solutions.

I'm attaching a copy of my /etc/X11/xorg.conf (with a txt extension added). Two things I know I changed were in Section    "Device":
Option      "NoAccel"     "true"
Option      "DRI"         "false"

I found these suggestions in a Google link to something in the Ubuntu forums  (if I recall correctly). I don't know if the changes were what did it, but they certainly didn't hurt. The xorg file isn't horribly long, so a line-by-line comparison with yours may reveal something.

>> Yes this laptop is a dog, only 128 cache on the CPU but, I think it's good enough for the grand kids and some stuff. >>

Mine is no longer a dog! Upping the RAM to 1 gig made a tremendous difference. I'm luxuriating in 128 gigs of hard drive space. The laptop is working so well that I'm thinking of buying a new battery for it; the original battery is totally dead. I don't use the laptop away from home, so I'm trying to decide if the convenience of carrying the laptop to the kitchen table without the power brick is worth the cost of the battery. With VL6 Light the laptop performs very well--well enough that I have no desire for a newer machine as long as this one is functioning.

My 7-1/2-year-old Toshiba's screen stopped working; probably the backlight or the connector to the video system. I've hooked it up to an old 15" LCD monitor that wasn't doing anything and put it on a desk with USB keyboard and mouse and we're using it as a desktop. So I hope the Dell continues to work because if it dies, I'd have to replace it because I can't do without a laptop.

Be sure to let us know if you make any progress with your video.
--GrannyGeek

RonB
Vectorite

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2010, 07:57:43 am »

Didn't try slack, but tried absolute (the latest release) I installed that and at least it would boot to an 800x600 screen.  I just don't understand how it works on the live CD and then not after the intstall.  I'm not quite done with it yet but man just been fighting and fighting this one.  Thanks. 

I wonder if the Live CD loads Vesa drivers.

RonB
Registered Linux User #498581
Vector Linux Deluxe 6.0 -- Optiplex GX270
Deach
Vectorite

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 08:03:58 am »

I'm still working (off and on) on the thing.  I can tell you it has "just peachy" video on the live CD.  I'm going to go back to square one on it when I have time, I just did a install for my son, and he's ecstatic to leave  windows and come to vector.  (it's also helped to renew our communications which was faltering some).  He said his old IBM is quicker than his buddies brand new laptop running 7.  Anyway I'll do more checking and report back soon.  Thanks everyone and I think "we'll" get it. 

Deach

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: