VectorLinux
September 20, 2014, 05:42:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dell Inspiron 1100 VIDEO  (Read 2329 times)
RonB
Vectorite

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2010, 08:52:55 am »

I'm still working (off and on) on the thing.  I can tell you it has "just peachy" video on the live CD.  I'm going to go back to square one on it when I have time, I just did a install for my son, and he's ecstatic to leave  windows and come to vector.  (it's also helped to renew our communications which was faltering some).  He said his old IBM is quicker than his buddies brand new laptop running 7.  Anyway I'll do more checking and report back soon.  Thanks everyone and I think "we'll" get it.

I wish Xorg would it get its issues with older Intel video chips solved. With desktops it's no big deal, you can buy an older nVidia or ATI card for next to nothing on eBay (which is what I've done with this GX270 because it had issues with Xorg under VectorLinux). But with laptops you're up a "dysentery tributary without sufficient means of locomotion." I think I basically did what Granny said to do with your Xorg configuration file to get the Intel chip (that I originally used on the GX270 with VectorLinux) to work better. But I never got the kind of performance that the chip is capable of performing. So finally I gave up and went to the nVidia card. On my laptop (Latitude D400) I use CentOS with an Intel graphic chip and it works great. But CentOS is a "trailing edge" distribution and you can still use the i810 Intel driver that used to work fine on all the Intel chips. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't try to load VectorLinux on that laptop. (And, if worse comes to worse, you may consider installing CentOS on your Inspirion 1100 -- that would be much better then bricking it.)

Good luck.

RonB
Registered Linux User #498581
Vector Linux Deluxe 6.0 -- Optiplex GX270
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2010, 08:19:32 pm »

I'm still working (off and on) on the thing.  I can tell you it has "just peachy" video on the live CD.

Which LiveCD is that? I made a bootable flash drive with VL6 Light Live on it so I could start my Dell VL6 Light for backups or other uses where I should work from another OS. I've had lots of trouble getting usable video. I can't get more than 640x480 resolution (native res is 1024x768). For my very limited purposes 640x480 is enough, but I sure  wouldn't want to be stuck at that for regular use.

He said his old IBM is quicker than his buddies brand new laptop running 7.

I'm constantly amazed at how well my old and slow Celeron desktop and Dell laptop run with VectorLinux. For what I do 98% of the time, they are speedy and responsive and I don't sit tapping my fingers waiting for something to happen.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2010, 09:50:37 pm »

I've always been given the option to choose whether I wish to run with or without xorg.conf during installation. As the notebook runs nicely without it, I've always selected "without".

Bigpaws, I didn't know that either.  I will look for it next time I do an install (I have done 7 so far this month, all desktops, all VL6 standard, so am taking some time off).  I recall that never_stop_learning fixed his toshiba laptop by installing the new vector kde.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 09:56:07 pm by sledgehammer » Logged

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Deach
Vectorite

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2010, 09:12:32 pm »

@Granny, the live CD that worked was the KDE live CD.  Honestly now that I think back I think it worked on the first boot to the installed OS also.  I"m going to reconviene on this soon, I've been tied up working on another inspiron right now saving files that were on it.  I can tell you that my inspiron 120 that has VL6 on it to me, simply flies.  Took a laptop that was basically "slow" and made it perfectly usable.  NO, it's not a newer dual laptop but, perfectly usable for most things. 

I'll have to see about the xorg thing.  I only know i've done several now all the same and with the exception of the 1100 they've "just all worked".  I will be doing another inspirion shortly when I save the files off the failing HD and install a new HD.  Although the specs are the same as my 120, the screen is much nicer. (read bigger) so That will become my main linux laptop. 

When (notice when and not if) I get the 1100 working I'll try to remember how I did it. 

Thanks for all the input,
Deach

Inspiron 4000 Laptop, VL 6.0  600 mhz; 384 ram : Inspiron1100 VL 6.0
Inspiron B120 & B130 Laptop, VL 6.0  1. 4& 1.5  ghz; 1gig ram
IBM Thinkpad Laptop, VL 6.0  1.5 ghz;  1 gig ram
Deach
Vectorite

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2010, 09:03:39 am »

Well Granny, My Hat's off to you.  I cannot thank you enough.  Right now, I'm looking at a full video screen on the 1100. 

I'm attaching a copy of my /etc/X11/xorg.conf (with a txt extension added). Two things I know I changed were in Section    "Device":
Option      "NoAccel"     "true"
Option      "DRI"         "false"

I thank you thank you thank you!!!  I did NOT want to give up on this.  I don't know if it's gonna hold or not but, right now it looks awesome.  I've said since I came back here the Vector forums are the best of any......Again you have proven this. 

My heartfelt thanks,
Deach

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2010, 08:06:20 pm »

That's great news! I was just sharing what seemed to work for me and the real  thanks should go to my friend Google.

Let us know if it keeps working. I do deal with quirks on my Inspiron 1100 not while X is running, but when X shuts down prior to shutting down the system and occasionally when I'm first starting. Frequently I get a black screen when X closes down, but the shutdown command proceeds and the shutdown is normal, though I can't see the messages. Once in a while I have problems at startup, usually at startx. Instead of seeing a graphical desktop, I get a black screen with unresponsive keyboard and mouse. A reboot fixes it. I've also had a black screen at login. The computer is not locked up, however. If I type my login name, password, and startx, IceWM starts and I see a  perfect graphical desktop. Let me know if you get any of these behaviors.

Congratulations on your success.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Deach
Vectorite

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2010, 08:40:57 pm »

Yes it doesn't seem to want to restart x after control/alt/backspace.....in fact about the only thing that is working is totally shutting it down and then turning it back on for right now. I've seen the black screen at log in and didn't try typing anything in, I'll try that.  I went with VL standard and now wish maybe I'd have went with light.  This was to go to a young man that is not able to have a laptop any other way and I think he watches stuff on youtube and this balks at that.  I do have a gig of ram in it.  (it's the 128K on cache I'm sure).  Anyway yes I'll keep testing and report back.  I am in fact on it as we speak (ok type).  Again sorry for shortcutting google but I thought (and apparently correctly) these forums were the place to come

Again thank you for sharing your research and time with me to fix this.  Honestly if it was not for youtube and one game site he goes to (yes linux would work it's "online") it is pretty impressive. 

Thanks a million and I'll keep reporting any quirks and such with it as they arise.

Deach

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: