VectorLinux
September 23, 2014, 10:02:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Computer for work & fun  (Read 890 times)
bujums

« on: September 22, 2010, 08:12:08 am »

I am setting up a system that will be used for normal fun stuff and also for Medical Billing from home.  I usually have a root partition and a home partition.  I would like to create another partition just for the Billing software.  So that if I needed to reinstall the OS I could keep the billing software as is.  I think there is a typical partition type for this but what is it called.  What it is the best way to do this?  When I do install the software, how can I be sure that it is installing in the correct place?  Thanks.
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 04:30:31 pm »

The billing software can be installed anywhere. Make a partition at the
/ level and then you can install it there. Without the exact software
name and such it is difficult to give better instructions.

If this software is compiled then you could invoke at config
destdir=/my new partition

Your config files will more than likely be in the /home/your username/.program name

Bigpaws
bujums

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 06:00:47 am »

Okay, I just need a bigger hard drive and I will start setting up... should be fun.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 06:44:35 am »

Actually, no matter where things get installed to, in the case of an OS re-install, you're likely to have to get a little work done to restore any existing data you want back.

More important than where software installs to, is where the software saves its data.
For instance, I may have a program installed in /usr like anything else, but saves the data to my home partition.
This is typical of any linux installation. So what you need to restore is not the program itself, but rather the data.

The program can be restored easily from a package (either created and backed up by yourself, or from the online repos)
After the program is restored, you can use it to restore the old data.

Hope this helps.

bujums

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 06:55:15 am »

I always do set up a separate partition for Data..  once she is actually working I will set up a file server for her as well or I might play with the idea of having two drive and Raid.  I have done that with Ubuntu, I would like to do that with Vector instead.  Ubuntu is starting to irritate me.
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 06:02:42 am »

I tried ubuntu alot lately, and it irritated me too Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: