VectorLinux
October 01, 2014, 02:14:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Adventures in LINUX - Building a linux server on the cheap..  (Read 5762 times)
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2010, 08:25:44 am »

I think I could save myself alot of trouble by just buying this :

http://cgi.ebay.com/PC-CPU-Stand-Adjustable-Width-Computer-full-tower-Case-/250701316660?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5ef68234

What do you guys think?  The original case has a flat stand of sorts at the bottom. Its current disconnected so I could plop the case right in this stand I think.

Might look nicer than the ghetto way I'd have to add casters and drilling metal sucks. Looks nice in these pictures.

Steven
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2010, 08:33:42 am »

I think you're right... and for 6 bucks... you can't beat that... your casters would probably come up to that price if not higher

haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2010, 11:39:25 am »

Well its like 15.00$ with shipping, but your right. 4 castors of decent size at home depot were 2.99 each, then I'd have to drill and buy nuts and bolts.

I decided to save myself some cursing and just get this stand. Lots of parts are now on their way. The beast is shaping up. I may actually take the time to
make it look not so ghetto, but my first priority is just making sure everything will work.

Going to go look for a few more odds and ends/parts. Will update the sight when the new parts arrive and some more progress is made. This is kind of a back burner project.

Steven
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2010, 11:44:03 am »

Its cool though... I'm thinking of doing one myself.

One of my co-workers got his box infected with a virus last week to a point that the IT group in charge of our system maintenance could not get the thing fixed. It's descent box, atx tower with a pentium D inside which is now just sitting in the back of a closet along with an older dell like the one you started off with (the little gray one on your site)

I'm thinking about building me a box and maybe i'll work up the nerve to ask my boss if I can recycle this box for him.

haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2010, 01:59:45 pm »

When I'm finished, I intend on this thing being one big data dump. Movies, pictures,mp3 collection, sound sample collection, digital art collection, video games and archives. I've got multiple computers, but no central place to backup and store things. Hopefully this will improve the situation, but then, it could also just be one big nerd toy.

Steven
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2010, 08:27:45 am »

The $6 + shipping movable stand looks like something out of star wars.  Perhaps the beast could get a bit part in the movies.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2010, 09:11:28 am »

Yeah looks kind of funky.

I think this may be the most interesting computer I've built or rebuilt, whatever.

I built some clones back in the day, but nothing very customized and special,like this.

I'm very frustrated by the wait for parts. Can't wait to plug 10 hard drives in and see what happens.

Today, I ordered the wheeled stand. It will look great under the beast.

Steven

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: