VectorLinux
September 18, 2014, 01:28:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Scribus 1.3.8 for VL6 SOHO  (Read 1300 times)
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« on: August 27, 2010, 12:56:20 pm »

Is anyone up for packaging Scribus 1.3.8 for VL6 SOHO? SOHO comes with Scribus 1.3.5.1, which is substantially out of date as far as Scribus releases go.

Scribus now uses cmake for compiling releases. I tried to do it myself, but it's way beyond my comprehension. The directions are at http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&page=install4 but I found them WAY, WAY beyond my ability to understand and I kept turning up errors when I ran cmake. Example:
Code:
me:$ cmake ../scribus -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/home/me/scribusinstall/
CMake Error at text/CMakeLists.txt:22 (QT4_WRAP_CPP):
  Unknown CMake command "QT4_WRAP_CPP".

CMake Warning (dev) in CMakeLists.txt:
  No cmake_minimum_required command is present.  A line of code such as

cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.8)

should be added at the top of the file.  The version specified may be lower
  if you wish to support older CMake versions for this project.  For more
  information run "cmake --help-policy CMP0000".
This warning is for project developers.  Use -Wno-dev to suppress it.

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

I have no idea how to fix these things. Plus the whole instructions page is much too obscure for me. So I decided to look at the SlackBuild script for Scribus 1.3.3.12, which is in our repo. Alas, that script uses configure-make-make install, which is now obsolete for building Scribus. Plus, there is no opensourcebistro video on building with cmake, so I'm at a loss.

The latest version at slacky.eu is 1.3.7--newer than ours but not the latest. linuxpackages.net is way behind on versions.

I'd be very grateful is someone could get a VL SOHO package created.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 02:47:19 pm »

I wanted to report that I installed Scribus 1.3.7 from slacky.eu. So far it's looking good. I was missing a libjpeg file but but I created a symlink and that took care of the complaint.

I'm thinking of using the SlackBuild for 1.3.7 from slacky.eu to see if I can create a package for 1.3.8. If I'm successful (not a sure thing by any means), my system is already far too dirty to make a package for our repo. However, if I'm successful I'll create a package for the repo as soon as I install SOHO Deluxe, while the system is still clean.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 09:33:12 pm »

Thanks for holding out for soho deluxe.............its taking a little longer than anticipated as kde 4.5.0 surfaced just days after the final release. I have it working and looks good. The latest scribus will be in deluxe (1.3.Cool as well as latest xfce4 plus some astounding new graphics thanks to our artiste extrodinair Masta.

Cheers,
Vec
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 07:56:09 pm »

I'm excited! I have empty partitions waiting for SOHO Deluxe.
--GrannyGeek

Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 06:00:15 am »

Granny:

In the meantime, you can give building scribus-1.3.8 a shot using the scripts I tweaked last week to build mine on VL6 SOHO Final. I also built a recommended dependency, podofo, for handling pdf files. You will find build scripts and slack-desc files in the attachments here, as well as a .desktop file and icon for scribus itself. The build scripts will download the source files from a SourceForge mirror I use, unless they are already to be found in the same directory as their respective build scripts.

HTH... Wink
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 06:03:12 am by Joe1962 » Logged

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
ZBREAKER

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 08:03:52 am »

Thanks for holding out for soho deluxe.............its taking a little longer than anticipated as kde 4.5.0 surfaced just days after the final release. I have it working and looks good. The latest scribus will be in deluxe (1.3.Cool as well as latest xfce4 plus some astounding new graphics thanks to our artiste extrodinair Masta.

Cheers,
Vec

Eagerly looking forward to this!
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 02:54:31 pm »

In the meantime, you can give building scribus-1.3.8 a shot using the scripts I tweaked last week to build mine on VL6 SOHO Final. I also built a recommended dependency, podofo, for handling pdf files. You will find build scripts and slack-desc files in the attachments here, as well as a .desktop file and icon for scribus itself. The build scripts will download the source files from a SourceForge mirror I use, unless they are already to be found in the same directory as their respective build scripts.

If I have time before SOHO Deluxe comes out, I'll read up again on how to do it and give it a try. Thanks!
--GrannyGeek

Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 06:10:20 am »

Granny, you just unpack those files and run the SlackBuild script inside them in a console (you might need to make the script executable first). It will download the source and build the package for you. Do podofo first, then install it with installpkg, then do scribus. The finished packages should end up in the directory immediately above where the script is.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 03:09:19 pm »

Granny, you just unpack those files and run the SlackBuild script inside them in a console (you might need to make the script executable first). It will download the source and build the package for you. Do podofo first, then install it with installpkg, then do scribus. The finished packages should end up in the directory immediately above where the script is.

I had no idea it was so easy. Hopefully, I can install it tomorrow (unless SOHO Deluxe comes out tomorrow<g>).
--GrannyGeek

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: