VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 12:43:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi, my name is Bill, and I'm an windows addict . . .  (Read 3412 times)
walklong

« on: August 30, 2010, 12:39:03 pm »

Hi,

I'm here to break from my addiction to MS Windows . . .to free myself from the chains of bloatware and insatiable hardware demands.

I'm starting in the shallow end by trying to get VL light going on a Gateway Solo 2500 notebook with a Pentium MMX 200 mhz cpu (yeah, that's only two (2) zeros after the speed digit), 98 mb ram and a 20 gig hard drive.  If I'm successful, I'll be connecting from that tiny gray box through my existing home wired lan and a 3com pcmcia ethernet card.

Some day, I hope to be totally free of the dependency on MS stuff

Thanks for listening  Cheesy

“You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment.” Henry David Thoreau
nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 12:48:24 pm »

HaHaHa!!!!  So Bill,...are you by any chance trying to kick the MS habit???  That's cute.  I just use the good ol' Vector 6.0 Standard right now,....but there are more knowlegeable folks here that could help with your hardware and Vector Lite setup.   Anyhow,...welcome to the forums.   Cheesy
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 12:52:08 pm »

That's great news. However, if you're coming straight from a M$ product, you may hit a few bumps along the way before you get online with the described software. Try vl light and cross your fingers, because 200MHZ doesn't get you very far these days.

Ralph_Ellis

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 06:01:55 pm »

Hi Bill,
You will find Vector Linux to be a good choice for your hardware as long as you stay with a lighter window manager like XFCE. KDE probably requires too much resources for your set up.
If there are some Windows programs that you cannot do without, you can use Wine. Usually though, you will be better off with an equivalent Linux program.
Good luck
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 08:27:02 pm »

Your hardware is *extremely* anemic no matter what version of VectorLinux you use.l always suggest people try out Linux on their best computer, not the doorstop candidate. I think XFce is too much for 200 MHz and 98 megs of RAM. IceWM is probably the best you can do, although JWM is supposed to be even lighter, and it's included in VL6 Light.

A browser like Dillo would work better than any current version of Firefox or Opera. Dillo can't handle Flash or Javascript, though, or many types of secure logins, so its uses on the Internet today are limited.

I doubt Wine would work very well, and in addition, many Windows programs just plain don't run in Wine.

I wouldn't take your experiences running Linux on a 200 MHz computer as typical of Linux vs. Windows. Linux is not a miracle worker.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Andy Price
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 02:24:47 am »

Here's an excellent blog about running Linux on the type of hardware you have: http://kmandla.wordpress.com/ You'll note that he uses custom setups and lots of console applications to make those kind of computers work acceptably, probably not the kind of thing for your first attempt with Linux.
I know you want to break with MS, but I can't help thinking that Windows 95 is ideally suited to your machine  Smiley
Andy
walklong

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 12:20:47 pm »

Hey gang,

My first PC was an 8086 compaq box with a green monochrome  monitor, dual 5 1/4" floppy drives and MS Dos . . . so I've been around this stuff for a tad;

I'm actually using Ubuntu right now on an IBM ThinkCentre desktop box but that install is just about a week old so I'm basically trying to learn file structure, command syntax, security parameters, networking and all the rest on the fly and on parallel distro's at the same time (some might say I'm a glutton for punishment  Cool )

The gateway box is a freebie I inherited from my stepson, who inherited it from his dad and I want it for simple note taking and spreadsheet creation in the workshop for my job as maintenance manager at an apartment complex. I know the limitations, but if some yahoo drops a gallon can of paint on it while I'm not looking, well, que sera, eh?  Wink

I'm having a blast, anyway and it's a rush to see the little pig actually boot up to a gui and connect to my home wired lan and the internet when a week ago it was choking on win98 for nearly half an hour before the desktop would appear.

Thanks for the tips about dillo - I tried out Opera, but haven't looked at Dillo yet - and the kmandla blog; I can't stand America's Got Talent which my wife adores, so this keeps me occupied in the evenings!

“You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment.” Henry David Thoreau
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 08:32:24 pm »

I understand "having a blast" with challenging hardware. I went through a phase years ago where I acquired a free obsolete computer from time to time and it was fun to see what I could get out of it with Linux.

I started with Mandrake Linux on a fairly typical computer for its time but this was back in 1999 or so and Linux was not nearly as polished and friendly as it is today. I finally got sick of all the finagling I had to do and wiped out Mandrake (and Linux) for a while.

Then I got one of those old freebies that should probably have died a merciful death, but I did have fun and learned a bit as I set it up with very light Linux installations. I installed BasicLinux on what was then a 486DX2/66 with 16 megs of RAM. BasicLinux was a real do-it-yourself version and as barebones as you can get. I brought the RAM up to 64 megs in an effort to get a bit more pep from the machine.

I got tired of the limitations of BasicLinux and found VectorLinux 2 in 2001 or so. I installed it on my laptop, which at that time was a Pentium 133MMX with 48 megs of RAM. Win 95 ran well on that machine, and VectorLinux was certainly usable (but somewhat primitive compared with Win 95).

The turning point for me with Linux came with VL 4.3 Standard. It seemed to make a giant leap forward in usability and features. By this time I had moved on from my "playing" with old hardware and wanted a Linux that would let me do what I wanted to do without a big learning curve. The last painful computer I used with VectorLinux was a Celeron 500 with 512 megs of RAM. When I couldn't stand it anymore, I gave it away to someone who was happy to get it.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
RonB
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 07:20:24 pm »

I'm here to break from my addiction to MS Windows . . .to free myself from the chains of bloatware and insatiable hardware demands.

I'm starting in the shallow end by trying to get VL light going on a Gateway Solo 2500 notebook with a Pentium MMX 200 mhz cpu (yeah, that's only two (2) zeros after the speed digit), 98 mb ram and a 20 gig hard drive.  If I'm successful, I'll be connecting from that tiny gray box through my existing home wired lan and a 3com pcmcia ethernet card.

Some day, I hope to be totally free of the dependency on MS stuff

Over two and half years ago I quit using Windows -- what did me in on XP, was the constant updating of anti-virus and anti-malware applications, plus the regular Windows updates and reboots. Then the computer would run like a dog for 45 minutes while it was scanning my hard drive (I didn't leave it turned on all the time). I would either shut down the scan, or leave for a while -- but it was a pain either way. I haven't completely quit Windows. I still have XP set to dual-boot on my laptop (which I boot to about every month for updates, and that's about it). I also have Windows 2000 running in a virtual machine under Linux. I've got it for about four programs that I can't replace yet -- Movie Magic Screenwriter, NetObjects Fusion, dBASE for Windows and... can't even think of the other one right now. I love not having to worry about malware and viruses -- and the speed difference, especially with VectorLinux, is amazing.

That said, you're not really giving Linux a fair shot. Once you know a bit more about Linux, you might want to clear a little space on your main computer and install and dual boot VectorLinux there (or whatever distribution you end up using). You'd be amazed at how much faster your computer can run under Linux. But wait to do that until you're comfortable partitioning your hard drive (unless you already are). Or maybe take a hard drive from one of your other computers and install it in you main one for the Linux install. (I used to do that, just switched out the cables when I wanted to use Linux -- back when I was mostly using Windows.)

Anyhow I'm rambling again. Good luck. There's no way I would switch back to Windows now, but there was a point when I realized that I had spent a lot of time learning DOS and Windows. If I really wanted to use Linux, I had to spend a little time learning it and solving problems -- and sticking with Linux instead of running away from it whenever I didn't understand something. I compare it to learning to write with your opposite hand. If you're right-handed, you can write without thinking about it, but that wasn't how it was when you first started. Linux is kind of like writing with the "left hand." You expect to be fully up to speed with the new OS without putting in the work because you've forgotten the effort you've put into Windows through the years.

Anyway, more rambling. Sorry. Good luck.   

RonB
Registered Linux User #498581
Vector Linux Deluxe 6.0 -- Optiplex GX270
walklong

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 03:21:58 pm »

Hi RonB,

I really am enjoying myself - and I've got Ubuntu installed in a dual-boot arrangement with XP Pro on an 3 ghz IBM box and I haven't booted the win os in a couple of weeks (I'm writing this now on that machine). I've somehow morphed into a total computer nerd recently - I'm sitting at my desk and I've got the IBM machine and a Dell 1.3 ghz machine (running xp pro) stacked on top of each other, using an old PS/2 kvm to swap between them. Then I've got my wife's older Sony Viao laptop sitting on top of that mess. It's running XP Pro at the moment and no longer has video to it's native lcd (inverter died and I'm waiting on the new one) - so it's hooked to a cheapo 15" lcd. I'm running it as a TiVo server through our home network ~ I'm looking forward to shifting that to a  Linux distro sometime soon.

Finally, I've got this little Gateway which I'm messing with VectorLinux on. While it's giving me fits, I pretty sure it's mostly "operator density overload" - certainly not a fault of the distro. My main struggle is with getting the network features to load correctly and automatically - something which is mostly related to the fact that there's no native ethernet on the box: I'm connecting through a pcmcia card.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts and believe me, I'm thrilled to find this forum as well as the larger linux community - it's a great place to hang out and observe: I'm really thrilled to be 'learning' again, as well as excited at the prospect for leaving all the stuff you mentioned: antivirus and malware and updates etc. behind.

See  ya 'round my friend,

Bill

n4vgm

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 06:13:51 pm »

I too have been using MS products a long time, since DOS 1.0 and sold a ton of systems that made Mr. Gates very wealthy. Anyway, I have already begun the process of de-ms-ing my life but you can take it in stages. I have no choice at the office, but there I can blame the IT department since I'm doing something else now. At home I have removed MS Office and now use Open Office / Thunderbird and now I've just joined the VL gang on my old Thinkpad.

One day at a time, friends, one day at a time . . .

Thanks,

Bob
Murdock

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 12:42:32 am »

I suggest going to the landfill and get yourself a better computer. Roll Eyes

budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2010, 07:28:33 pm »

Hi Bill,
I used VL5.9 on a PII 300Mhz with 128 mb of RAM at one point.
Speed-wise it was about the same as win98, but I got a lot more functionality out of it.

With just 98 mb of ram, you will need a large swap partition to be able to run some of the more ram-hungry programs, but I think you'll be better off if you just avoid them if you can(things like Firefox and Open Office).

Also most GUI programs run pretty slow. Maybe that 200-line kernel patch will help, though.

Welcome to VL.

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!
frogzz

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 04:01:07 pm »

Murdock  said:

Re: Hi, my name is Bill, and I'm an windows addict . . .
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 12:42:32 am »
   Reply with quoteQuote
"I suggest going to the landfill and get yourself a better computer." Roll Eyes
comment:   I'm with Murdock.   If you can't dig one out of a landfill, I've seen computers on auction sites (no names mentioned)  and you can get them for almost nothing.   Just check and make sure they have Nvidia or ATI video cards that will work with linux distros.  Even ask your neighbors if they have one sitting in their closet they'd like to get rid of for a couple of bucks.  Just an idea.    Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: