VectorLinux
November 23, 2014, 11:49:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL6.0-Light installation error  (Read 1735 times)
Alb

« on: September 03, 2010, 12:18:44 pm »

Hello,
I've just tried to install VectorLinux 6.0 Light on my daughter's old PC (Pentium III 500 MHz, 256 MB RAM, Windows 98 SE on the 1st HD (hda, 13 GB) and VectorLinux on the 2nd HD (hdb, 20 GB) partitioned like this:
/dev/hdb1  fat32  8.38 GB
/dev/hdb2  ext3   2.80 GB boot
/dev/hdb4 extended 6.97 GB
/dev/hdb5  ext3   6.97 GB /home
/dev/hdb3 linux-swap 509.88 MB
It seemed to me that the installation process was performed all right (even though I wasn't asked anything about LILO) but when I rebooted Windows 98 SE was launched. So I rebooted by means of VL installation cd and chose to repair LILO (successfully). I rebooted again but only Windows 98 SE was launched, so I booted a third time by means of VL installation cd but typing: linux root=/dev/hdb2 ro.
The process went on for a time but, at the end I obtained this error message: "An error occurred during the root filesystem check ... ".
According to you what am I supposed to do in order to fix this problem? Any suggestion is wellcome.
Best Regards
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 12:39:47 pm »

How did you install lilo? to MBR or sector?

There is also the possibility that the drive has problems accessing the MBR... I own a machine for example, with 3 hard drives in it, none of which can be used for bootloader installation. I have to keep a tiny 128MH USB thumbdrive plugged in to install bootloader and to boot the stupid thing... I've tried everything, just can't get it to boot off the internal drives.

Now, another thing, it seems you you parsed /dev/hdb2 as your root parameter when booting with the cd. Per your layout, looks like /dev/hdb2 is your /boot partition. I would recommend you just keep /boot within the / partition itself.

Alb

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 08:03:38 am »

Hello,
In the meantime, I installed VL 6.0 Light by means of the Live CD. The installation process ended successfully, but when I rebooted I just had a blank screen with a hyphen blinking on its left upper side. So I restarted and by means of Windows floppy disc I fixed the MBR, so I could boot Windows, at least. Then I booted again with VL cd, typing the option: linux root=/dev/hdb2 ro and, this time I didn't have any error message but obtained a command line login. I typed my user (alberto) and when I was asked the password I typed "vector", but the answer was: Login incorrect. What shall I do? Am I supposed to reinstall everything again?
Best Regards
P.S.
I've never used LILO. Previously I used Grub with Ubuntu 9.04 + LXDE, without problems.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 08:13:06 am »

Now, another thing, it seems you you parsed /dev/hdb2 as your root parameter when booting with the cd. Per your layout, looks like /dev/hdb2 is your /boot partition. I would recommend you just keep /boot within the / partition itself.

I still use one seperate /boot partition, makes it simpler to reinstall things and means I can leave Grub alone. However, if you do use a /boot partition, 2 GB is way more than you need. I use 30 MB, most of which is empty.....

Paul.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 10:49:33 am »

Your partition scheme shows /boot, /home and swap, but I don't see where you put your root partition (/) ?

If you want to use grub on hdb2 to load VL, you will need to modify the config files for it. The VL installer will not do this for you.

To log in, if nothing else you should be able to log in as user root with password vector.
Alb

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 07:18:55 am »

Hello,
I succeeded in installing VL 6.0 Light, but, as MOE-Inx said, I had to install LILO on a Floppy disk.
Thank you and best regards
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 08:00:33 am »

Well done. Glad you stuck with it.  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: