VectorLinux
October 26, 2014, 12:12:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Firefox "upgraded" to 3.0.6?  (Read 3326 times)
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2010, 11:48:26 pm »

I just checked. 3.6.8 is in the packages repository on gslapt.  That is how I got it.  Probably a stretchedthin upload.  Don't know why it doesn't show in your gslapt. Possibly something wrong with your gslapt.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2010, 12:57:50 am »

I just checked. 3.6.8 is in the packages repository on gslapt.  That is how I got it.  Probably a stretchedthin upload.  Don't know why it doesn't show in your gslapt. Possibly something wrong with your gslapt.

No. Stretchedthin has no access to upload to the repositories. There are very few people who can upload packages to the repos. Firefox has been there since I built it (24th of July). You really need to understand some of the limitations on the repositories and on how slapt-get/gslapt work:

http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=12311.msg77375#msg77375

Paul.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2010, 10:43:11 am »

I must admit that I never thought about mirrors. I always use the default repo site and forget that others may be looking somewhere else.  It can take a while before all the repos get populated.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2010, 10:58:21 am »

there is a basic priority system in operation. If you look at /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc, you will see at least one repo listing which has :OFFICIAL after the listing. This gives that repo higher priority than any of the others.

The result of that priority is that even though the files in that repo section may not be the most recent, they will always be treated as 'upgrades'. Which is why you may find Gslapt offering you (for example) mc-4.0.7 as an 'upgrade' to mc-4.7.3. Which is a very good reason not to blindly use 'upgrades' as indicated by Gslapt - always check what it is offering against what it will replace.

Before I use Gslapt for the first time, I do Edit menu, Preferences, Sources, and click the Edit button for every selected source. If anything but Default is in the Priority box, I change it to Default. The "Official" priority setting confuses and annoys me, so I get rid of it right away.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
RonB
Vectorite

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2010, 12:05:57 pm »

If you repeatedly can't find something that should be there, report the matter. While repo syncing is out of our control, if there is a long term problem, it can be reported to the maintiners.

Thanks for the explanation. I was clueless about this. I've currently got two sources marked as "official" -- "packages" and "patches." I didn't change anything (on purpose anyhow). I think, for now at least, I'm going to take Granny's advice and just mark them both as "default," because the update notice app is still trying to get me to "upgrade" Firefox 3.6.8 to 3.0.6.  I see there's also two other levels of priority, "custom" and "preferred." How do these relate to "default" and "official?" I'm guessing "preferred" is just below "official" but that's just a guess.

(Short time lapse after resetting priorities.)

Okay, I just ran updates through GSlapt. It's no longer trying to get me "update" Firefox. It did update four other files, but I think those may have been the others "updated" when I "updated" Firefox.

Looks good. Thanks for the lesson. Should I put patches on a higher priority than the other sources?

RonB
Registered Linux User #498581
Vector Linux Deluxe 6.0 -- Optiplex GX270
RonB
Vectorite

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2010, 12:09:27 pm »

Firefox is now in GSlapt, but only because it sees the source as my home directory where I downloaded it. It still isn't showing up otherwise. Strange. But I definitely see it in the link Granny provided, so it *is* in the repository. I'm not going to worry about it. Everything is as it should be... I think.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 12:15:23 pm by RonB » Logged

RonB
RonB
Vectorite

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2010, 12:13:15 pm »

The result of that priority is that even though the files in that repo section may not be the most recent, they will always be treated as 'upgrades'. Which is why you may find Gslapt offering you (for example) mc-4.0.7 as an 'upgrade' to mc-4.7.3. Which is a very good reason not to blindly use 'upgrades' as indicated by Gslapt - always check what it is offering against what it will replace.

Before I use Gslapt for the first time, I do Edit menu, Preferences, Sources, and click the Edit button for every selected source. If anything but Default is in the Priority box, I change it to Default. The "Official" priority setting confuses and annoys me, so I get rid of it right away.

Thanks. I did that. It seems to have worked. As for the mirrors, I just have the normal sources in GSlapt. Originally I was looking in the wrong place (in your provided link) for the Firefox 3.6.8 file and thought it wasn't there. That's why I went to the mirror, but now I see that it is where it's supposed to be. It was just my inability to find it. Everything appears to be good now. I'm still amazed at how much more responsive VectorLinux is than any other distribution I've used.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 12:16:03 pm by RonB » Logged

RonB
RonB
Vectorite

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2010, 12:14:42 pm »

I don't know what was (or is) going on with my GSlapt, but at least this has given me a chance to learn a bit more about VectorLinux and how it works -- and that's always good. Thanks.

RonB
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2010, 01:17:35 pm »

there is a basic priority system in operation. If you look at /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc, you will see at least one repo listing which has :OFFICIAL after the listing. This gives that repo higher priority than any of the others.

--GrannyGeek

Smiley Don't blame you. I do the same (only I normally use a text editor on /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc rather than the GUI). I must admit, I'm not that fond of Gslapt anyway - while it was always a bit buggy, I prefered the options offered by Zenwalk's Netpkg. Even better, the alternate Zenwalk package manager - Zendo. Both offer categories, and are much less confusing when it comes to packages that are already installed.

If I had the skills, I might try to produce an alternate to Gslapt. Since I don't, I normally use slapt-get most of the time. At least it doesn't confuse me quite as much..

I posted my original response because I suspect a lot of users are unaware of the priority system and probably find the results confusing when it comes into play....

Paul.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2010, 01:25:21 pm »

If you repeatedly can't find something that should be there, report the matter. While repo syncing is out of our control, if there is a long term problem, it can be reported to the maintiners.

Thanks for the explanation. I was clueless about this. I've currently got two sources marked as "official" -- "packages" and "patches." I didn't change anything (on purpose anyhow). I think, for now at least, I'm going to take Granny's advice and just mark them both as "default," because the update notice app is still trying to get me to "upgrade" Firefox 3.6.8 to 3.0.6.  I see there's also two other levels of priority, "custom" and "preferred." How do these relate to "default" and "official?" I'm guessing "preferred" is just below "official" but that's just a guess.

Smiley Probably. I'm afraid I've never looked that closely at the priorities. Since I build a lot of packages, I usually edit all of them out so as to save myself confusion.

The reasons packages and patches are marked as 'official' is that they are the base packages that make up Vector Linux - packages covers the packages that come on the CD, and patches is reserved for packages that are upgrades or bug-fixes for the iso packages.

[(Short time lapse after resetting priorities.)

Okay, I just ran updates through GSlapt. It's no longer trying to get me "update" Firefox. It did update four other files, but I think those may have been the others "updated" when I "updated" Firefox.

Looks good. Thanks for the lesson. Should I put patches on a higher priority than the other sources?

Smiley Another suggestion - when you use 'mark all updates' and go to 'execute', check what the Gslapt is going to do - clicking on the 'packages to be upgraded will give you a list, with installed versions on the left and the replacements that Gslapt is going to install on the right. Check to see that it isn't going to 'upgrade' anything to an older version.

Paul.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 01:30:04 pm by toothandnail » Logged
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2010, 01:28:03 pm »

Firefox is now in GSlapt, but only because it sees the source as my home directory where I downloaded it. It still isn't showing up otherwise. Strange. But I definitely see it in the link Granny provided, so it *is* in the repository. I'm not going to worry about it. Everything is as it should be... I think.

That is standard (and, IMHO, annoying) Gslapt behaviour. Once any package has been installed, it will not show the repo copy any longer. Which can be a pain if you are trying to work out where the package came from.

Paul.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2010, 09:50:32 pm »

toothandnail,

Most of this is over my head.  Only know that I rely heavily on gslapt and it seems to work for me.  Thanks much for putting the latest Firefox in the repositories.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: