VectorLinux
December 20, 2014, 09:43:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: EasyBCD  (Read 3924 times)
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« on: September 07, 2010, 08:32:22 pm »

This may be of interest to people who need to have Vaster Vista or Windows 7 installed along with more sensible operating systems.

I'm just in the process of upgrading my laptop's 250 GB drive to a shiny new 400 GB. And, unfortuantely, still need to keep VasterVista for customer support (though I usually only seem to run the silly thing to update the virsus and spyware scanners....).

I've good reason to be wary of messing with the Windows boot loader in more recent versions - its very easy to end up with a system which no longer boots Windows that way. When I first installed Linux on the laptop, I installed an older version of EasyBCD, which allowed me to pass control to a copy of Grub legacy. Which worked fine for the 18 months or so that I've had the machine.

There are a couple of problems though. First, xfs is usually my file system of choice, and Grub can't boot from xfs. So I had to install it to a small ext2 partition (used as the /boot partition for Zenwalk). Not a wonderful idea - with SATA drives and more recent kernels using SCSI naming conventions, Linux is effectively limited to partitions no higher than 15. So wasting a partition number for a boot partition wasn't ideal.

Second problem is the increasing use of ext4. I needed a copy of Fedora (needed to build some software for a Fedora-based server), and it will only use ext4 or the recently modified version of ext3. Grub legacy doesn't understand either of them. So I was having to use 'chainloader +1' syntax to get from one Grub menu to another. Too many boot menus!

When I started migrating things to the new drive, I thought I needed to find a better way of handiling things. Smiley So I took the unprecedented step of reading the EasyBCD docs. And discovered an extra included with EasyBCD - NeoGrub. Seems to be a variant of the Grub for DOS project, and can be installed from EasyBCD, at which point it creates a menu entry in the Windows BCD screen.

NeoGrub turns out to be something of a lifesaver. It will happily boot an xfs partiton, and also understands ext4. Still uses the Grub legacy 'menu.lst' syntax, and won't upset the Windows BCD the way Grub2 probably will. It also saves me having to reserve partiton space for Grub legacy.

I'm now running EasyBCD 2.02, which is claimed to be compatible with Windows 7 as well as Vista (can't test that - one copy of Windows is quite enough for me.....).

For anyone interested, EasyBCD can be found here:

http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

Paul.
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 09:14:16 am »

I've used EasyBCD for a while now on my laptop with both Vista and 7 without problems. For XP I use bootpart.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 07:52:21 am »

I've used EasyBCD for a while now on my laptop with both Vista and 7 without problems. For XP I use bootpart.

For years I used the IBM boot manger, passing to Grub for Linux. I must admit, NeoGrub is quite effective, though I'm not sure whether it will let me specify things like a background image, but the fact that it will allow me to boot xfs and ext4 is useful.

Smiley I have tried booting Vista from NeoGrub, but so far, I've not got that to work. If I could, I could then set NeoGrub as the default for BCD, then set the delay as short as possible and have effectively only one menu. I'll have to have another got at getting that to work...

Paul.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: