VectorLinux
April 18, 2014, 12:47:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dell Vostro 1510: Speakers Sound With Headphones  (Read 3533 times)
gacl
Vectorite

« on: September 09, 2010, 03:53:07 pm »

Hi,

When I connect the headphones to my computer the on-board speakers still sound! What's the fix for this? Thanks.

Gus

Edit: This (http://www.stupent.at/2008/06/18/dell-vostro-1510-with-ubuntu-804/) looks relevant but it's about Ubuntu.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 03:55:54 pm by gacl » Logged

“Our very lives depend on the ethics of strangers, and most of us are always strangers to other people.” -- Bill Moyers
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 05:44:29 am »

Regardless of the Linux distribution used, many fixes that apply to one distribution may also apply to others.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
gacl
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 10:59:03 am »

The fix is to
Code:
sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-hardy

And to insert "the following line to /etc/modprobe.de/alsa-base":

Code:
options snd-hda-intel model=toshiba position_fix=0 enable=yes

We can't do any of that in VL.

Gus

“Our very lives depend on the ethics of strangers, and most of us are always strangers to other people.” -- Bill Moyers
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 02:14:16 pm »

In this case, the linux-backports-modules-hardy is Ubuntu unique.

When the headphones are plugged in, is there a keyboard sequence you can press to turn the external speakers off on the notebook?

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
roarde
Vectorite

move the needle

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 02:19:09 pm »

Other than sound coming from the 'phones, is there any feedback at all that they've been plugged in? If there is, it can be hooked.

Robert
VL Light 7.0, icewm/spacefm
gacl
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 03:38:50 pm »

When the headphones are plugged in, is there a keyboard sequence you can press to turn the external speakers off on the notebook?

No. Nothing that I can readily see or find in Google.

Other than sound coming from the 'phones, is there any feedback at all that they've been plugged in? If there is, it can be hooked.

No, there are no notifications or anything that says: "The headphones have been plugged in".

By the way, I just tried my 'phones with Edubuntu and it works as it should. So, the computer is not the culprit.

Gus

The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 05:09:15 am »

The problem of course, is that manufacturers don't let the hardware switch between the headphone jack and the internal speakers. Instead, they rely on the software to do it for them. I had the same thing with my intel HDA, and the only thing that worked for me was manually turn down all volumes except master, pcm and surround, which controlled the volume of the headphone jack.

[edit]
Honestly, I think Intel deserves a mighty slapping for that whole intel HDA thing. I've had so much trouble with it in Linux, both on this laptop and a previous one..
[/edit]
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 05:12:15 am by The Headacher » Logged

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: