VectorLinux
April 16, 2014, 07:47:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: install issue...  (Read 1864 times)
computard

« on: September 10, 2010, 08:54:13 pm »

Ok, first, When using the installer to prepare the partitions, I'm allowed only four, and since two are being used for XP, I created 2 for Vector. The first I labeled "swap" and the second, /, or (root). One interesting problem that I continue to encounter as I continuously "retry" the install, is that any time I open the Installer, or the program that allows for partitioning, Im forced to reboot when I exit out. I receive a pop-up that sais to the effect - your partition scheme requires the system to reboot - after I select "ok" Im left on a page that reiterates the same, as I previously posted, verbatim. Im not sure why, and if someone wants, I'll walk though it again and take notes for anyone interested.

...but the real issue, is whats happening AFTER the install from CD. Side note, I seen the screen names of quite a few of the members hear, like Moe, and Granny Geek, grats and thanks people. Back to my failure... The first time I was able to install Vector, after, where there should have been 2 tabs, one with Vector, and the other with XP, there was only XP. The next three times Vector showed up on the tabs. I selected the option to include text booting as an option, like the tutorial I used as a guide suggested and clicked on "OK". I received a pop-up with the following...

Lilo returned an error. Please see below

LILO version 22.8, Copyright (C) 1992-1998 Werner Almesberger
Development beyond version 21 Copyright (C) 1999-2006 John Coffman
Released 19-feb-2007 and compiled at 02:39:03 on Apr 1 2008

Warning: LBA 32 addressing assumed
Reading boot sector from /dev/hda
Warning: Unable to determine video adapter in use in the present system.
Using MITMAP secondary loader
Calling map_insert_data
Mapping bitmap file /boot/bitmap/boot.bmp -> std.bmp
Warning: Video adapter does not support VESA BIOS extensions needed for
display of 256 colors. Boot loader will fall back to TEXT only operation.
Calling map_insert_file

Boot image: /boot/vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.6.27.12
Mapping RAM disk /boot/initrd
Added VectorLinux *

Boot image: /boot/vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.6.27.12
Mapping RAM disk /boot/initrd
Added VectorLinux-tui

Boot other: /dev/hda2, on /dev/hda, loader CHAIN
Warning: Device 0x0300: Inconsistent partition table, 2nd entry
CHS address in PT: 566:0:1 --> LBA (570528)
LBA address in PT: 8557920 --> CHS (8490:0:1)
Fatal: Either FIX-TABLE or IGNORE-TABLE (-P ignore)
FAILED

so... my take-away from this is I have some hardware the OS doesnt like, but I dont really know. Since it looks to me like a lot of the developers are hear, Im hoping to do better then my own uneducated patchwork guesswork, lol.
computard

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 10:54:56 pm »

realizing that only the most recent post gets attention, so Im replying to make sure that this gets noticed, lol
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 02:40:06 am »

Hi computard,

Well I'm no expert (other will chime in I'm sure)

First which Version are you trying to install?  Light , Standard or SOHO?
Secondly - you can have up to 14 partitions But you'll have to make some of them Logical.  Not primary.

You should end up with a partition table looking something like this

sda1 Linux Swap
sda2 (or it could be hda2) Window, NTFS
sda 3 Logical 
sda 4 Linux  /
sda 5 Linux /home
sda 6 -- 14 others partitions

All partition from 4 -- 14 will be on the logical drive. not primary.

Something similar to that would work for you.

Hope this helps
Dave

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 04:13:36 am »

Your problem seems similar to this one: http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=9992.0
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 06:53:21 am »

Perhaps the easiest way of dealing with this issue (i.e. lilo failing to install) is to deal with it after your installation has successfully completed.  Nightflier has suggested a thread which should help resolve the lilo installation issue, however it may be easiest to fix this after a successful installation. With that said, when you get to the part of the installation where LILO (bootloader) gets installed you should choose to skip that step, or choose not to install the bootloader/lilo. Then finish up with the installation until you're required to reboot.

Upon rebooting, you will need to access your newly installed VL a specific way: You will use the CD to boot your hard drive installation.  When the CD boots you will first get to a "boot:" prompt where you will need to enter "linux   root=/dev/hda4   ro" without the quotes.  This should boot your new installation of VL where a few remaining configuration steps may take place. Once you reach your desktop you should be able to attempt installing lilo using the '-P' switch, or simply try running vliloconf, or check VASM for lilo reinstallation.
computard

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 01:35:29 pm »

I think Ill try that rout Newt. I'm also wondering if trying the text installer would make a difference. Ive read alot about how most seem to prefer that method. Ill either be checking in with an installed and working Vector OS, or after Ive tried all the options presented to me.

(fingers crossed)

Also, I really have no idea how to run Lilo -P, like the thread linked to me eludes to...
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 04:35:13 pm »

You don't *ever* need to install LILO or any other boot loader because you can boot to VectorLinux with the installation CD. It's mildly annoying to have to type
linux root-/dev/hda4 ro
(or whatever matches where VL is installed on your system) every time you start your system.

But it's just a small bit to have to write. I used to do that all the time when I had a dual boot with VectorLinux and Windows Vista on a laptop. I NEVER install a boot loader in the Master Boot Record. On systems with XP, I boot to Linux with the XP boot loader (directions at http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=1073.msg6559#msg6559 ). One of my systems has a floppy drive, which is also very good and safe for installing LILO on. If I'm dealing with a system that has Vista or Windows 7, I boot with the installation CD.

I don't want to scare anyone about installing LILO in the MBR because most of the time it's perfectly fine. However, once in a while we hear about disasters, so I'd rather eliminate the possibility of messing up my system and so I put LILO somewhere else.

I don't know anything about GRUB. I've never been able to get my mind around GRUB; probably some sort of mental block on my part, but I've tried and tried and I just don't understand it. So since LILO has always worked fine for me, I stick with it.

I had never heard of lilo -P so I did
man lilo
at a terminal prompt. Do that and scroll down till you find the explanation for -P. Part of it:
Code:
-P {fix|ignore|<global-option>}
              Fix or ignore `corrupt' partition tables, i.e., partition tables
              with  linear and cylinder/head/sector addresses that do not cor-
              respond.  Always try -P ignore first, as -P  fix  will  re-write
              the  partition  table, possibly destroying all partitions on the
              disk.

-P ignore is also used to bypass the partition table  check  for
              partition types within the partition table which might not allow
              the installation of a LILO boot sector.  Compare with  the  "-F"
              flag, which overrides the check of the actual boot sector.

Frankly, that scares me and I'd be afraid to use it. Remember to use
lilo -P ignore
if you do run it. You have to be root in order to run the lilo command.

Some people prefer the text installer because some Vector users are, frankly, minimalists or antiquarians.<g> They like to do things "old school." I like the text installer, too, just because I've used it so much for so long and I'm very comfortable with it. The GUI installer in VL6 Standard is older and not as polished or bug free as the GUI installer in VL6 SOHO. VL6 Light does not offer a GUI installer. The text installer is very useful, even essential, when someone is dealing with a video system that doesn't get along with a GUI at this stage. If you get through the installation with the GUI installer, I wouldn't worry about redoing the installation with the text installer.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
computard

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 04:41:34 pm »

Newt, tried like you said, but may have entered some incorrect data. I was given a choice of ... maybe 4 or 5 options, one of which was a program called VESA, et cetra. The option I chose was for the OS, to locate my hardware(at least thats what I think was going on) and make dicisions on its own with out my input, seemed the fastest way to get started. Soon I was at a text screen with all kinds of computer language flying by, the funniest of which was some program designed to ensure "another" programs "sanity". Thought that was hilarious. At any rate, soon came the pop-up with the following message, verbatim...

Failed to start the X server (your graphical
interface). It is likely that it is not set
up correctly. Would you like to view the X
server output to diagnose the problem?

Of course Im interested to find out just how little I know, so I chose to have a looksee and found...

(official labeling et cetra)

Module Loader present
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
          (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
          (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sat Sep 11 09:34:51 2010
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
Data incomplete in file /etc/X11/xorg.conf
         At least one Device section is required.
(EE) Problem parsing the config file
(EE) Error parsing the config file

Fatal server error:
no screens found

.... so Im going to try and start the process over again. This will make well over 10 attempts at getting this, lol, but I THINK Im making progress, at least Im learning anyway. Ive run into this pop-up-of-frustration 3 times now, and I dont know if it will just go away on its own, like some of the other problems seemingly have, or if it will be persistent, like crashing every time I exit Gparted. Wish me luck;)

oh, and Im trying to install the 6.0 gold version, or whatever the best FREE version is, lol. Thanks for the help;)
computard

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 05:18:40 pm »

Granny,

Im going to try to follow the directions in the link you gave me, I took a quick glance at it, and so far, cant reconcile the directions with what Im being offered during the install. I wonder if I can put Lilo on a CD and keep it in the drive and just leave the instrustions to "boot from CD 1rst" as is??? My ideal is to move away from MS altogether, but its been suggested that may be a little naive. Ide like to at least have the option to move directly to Linux immediately after turning on my computer, instead of having to go through XP, et cetra. Thanks again for your input, I wont have time to mess with it, most likely till tomorrow, just wanted to write a reply real quick, since you took the time to help me;)

Also, should I be posting my questions somewhere else? Or is this fine?
computard

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 07:09:11 pm »

I AM KING of Vector Linux!!! WOOOOT!!! (jk)
                    ^
                    |______(Im just VERY happy to finally be posting from Vector OS)

Im super excited to start looking around and learning this system, so far, I like how it looks and feels. From my limited understanding, Linux gives you COMPLETE control over your system, and doesnt have ANY restrictions on what I can learn about. Im REALLY hoping I can learn enough to justify leaving Windows behind forever.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me along the way. I sooooo apriciate your patients.
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 01:38:43 am »

^

Im super excited to start looking around and learning this system, so far, I like how it looks and feels. From my limited understanding, Linux gives you COMPLETE control over your system, and doesnt have ANY restrictions on what I can learn about. Im REALLY hoping I can learn enough to justify leaving Windows behind forever.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me along the way. I sooooo apriciate your patients.

Congratulations and enjoy. 
 Smiley

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 02:51:15 am »

^

Congratulation, you never stop learning - that is I know practically nothing on the innards but have been happily using Linux exclusively since 2004
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 09:35:12 pm »

Granny,

Im going to try to follow the directions in the link you gave me, I took a quick glance at it, and so far, cant reconcile the directions with what Im being offered during the install.

If you're going to use the XP boot loader, you do it AFTER the install. During the install, you select None when it asks you if you want to set up a boot loader. You boot into your Linux installation with the installation CD by typing
linux root=/dev/hda5 ro
at the prompt when the computer starts. You need to boot to the CD, not the hard drive. You have to type in the proper location for your installation; /dev/hda5 is just an example.

I wonder if I can put Lilo on a CD and keep it in the drive and just leave the instrustions to "boot from CD 1rst" as is???-

I don't believe that's possible. But you can leave the installation CD in the drive and use that to boot, as I just described.

My ideal is to move away from MS altogether, but its been suggested that may be a little naive. Ide like to at least have the option to move directly to Linux immediately after turning on my computer, instead of having to go through XP, et cetra.

When you use the XP boot loader you *don't* go through XP. You get a boot menu with VectorLinux listed as one choice. Windows does not start up at all. You already see a boot menu if you've installed a Windows Recovery Console or you have a dual boot system with, say, 98SE and XP. You can set up VectorLinux as the default boot choice and it will start after the number of seconds you choose. I think the default is 15 seconds.

As for moving away from Microsoft altogether, if you find that Linux offers everything you need to use your computer for, you can ditch Windows completely. But you should use Linux for a while before you conclude you don't need Windows for anything.

Keep us posted, and it sounds as if you've had some success. Great! You'll have lots of fun while you're learning.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
computard

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 11:23:29 pm »

yeah Granny, Im doing it just as you sugested. Im keeping the Vector CD in the drive, and just typing the linux root =/dev/hda4 ro command and booting Linux that way. Its nice that Ive learned that much, I keep thinking I should keep going and try and get Vector on my system so that I dont need a disk, but Im a long way from that. Im rediculously inept as far as computers are concerned. I was excited to boot a system, talk on hear is about writing code for language packages for browsers. Im trying to figure out how to open a different browser and get my mouse wheel working again, you guys are prepping for a whole new release, lol. I still havent moved beyond a little internet browsing and checking out the desktop. One thing that interested me, is that caitlyn, the one who made the most postsabout security, doesnt seem to come around any more. Is that an issue? And also, have no idea if my system updates automatically, or if I have to add the patches manually...
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 02:48:15 am »

Caitlyn is heavily involved with other projects, but does come around for a visit every now and then. I suspect we'll see much more of her once VL 7 comes a little further along.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: