VectorLinux
November 22, 2014, 08:20:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help installing Epson Perfection V500 scanner [SOLVED]  (Read 16730 times)
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« on: September 13, 2010, 12:44:14 pm »

I got an Epson Perfection V500 USB scanner six months ago, tried to get it going in VectorLinux 6 at that time, was unsuccessful, and got busy with other things, so I didn't continue to try. Now I do need to get the scanner working in VL6 SOHO and am having no luck at all.

This scanner definitely does work in Linux. I talked at length with someone who is using the scanner in OpenSuse and had no trouble installing it. SANE does not have drivers for it, but specific Linux drivers are available from Avasys and after you get it going with those, you can use VueScan, which is supposed to be excellent.

Avasys has rpm and deb packages but (as usual) nothing for Slackware. I downloaded the source for the software and did configure, make, make install. They didn't give me any error messages, so I assume everything worked as expected. I have an iscan file in /usr/local/bin. However, when I run the iscan software, I get this:
Could not send command to scanner. Check the scanner's status.

Really helpful, no? :-(

sane-find-scanner sees it. scanimage -L doesn't recognize it (as I said, there's no SANE driver for it, though SANE tells us about the driver from Avasys). lsusb has this:
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 04b8:0130 Seiko Epson Corp.

What do I do next? Where to look?

I'm in the midst of googling and there are a lot of hits. I haven't researched enough to see if any are specific to Slackware. I wanted to ask here just in case someone has already dealt with this in VectorLinux.

Which brings me to my rant. In a lot of ways Linux is as bad as Windows when it comes to support of different distros. Everything is Ubuntu, Fedora, debian, rpm. Slackware is out in the hut behind the house where the serfs live. I guess crap like this is what you go through when you choose to use a (much) less popular distro than Ubuntu and Fedora. I'm trying not to bang my head!
--GrannyGeek
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 10:04:40 am by GrannyGeek » Logged

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 12:49:30 pm »

Just out of curiosity, have you tried downloading the rpm package and converting it to tgz then inspecting + installing it just to see if it works?
It if doesn't work, you can always do a removepkg on it.

roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 01:40:55 pm »

Sounds just like https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=77802.

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.3, icewmvmods
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 03:28:01 pm »

Just out of curiosity, have you tried downloading the rpm package and converting it to tgz then inspecting + installing it just to see if it works?
It if doesn't work, you can always do a removepkg on it.

That was the first thing I tried, but when I got the "Could not send command to scanner. Check the scanner's status." message, I removed  the packages and compiled the software from source. I got the same message, alas, plus make install didn't create an /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf file, which it seems should be there. I'll try to undo make  install and go back to the converted-rpm files.

sixforty found something promising and there is a bunch of stuff on Google.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 03:29:25 pm »

That looks like it might be very helpful. I'll give it a go as soon as I can. Thanks!
--GrannyGeek

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 07:57:28 pm »

I'm sorry to report that the archlinux solution didn't help. I got the same error message.

Back to Google.
--GrannyGeek

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 10:04:01 am »

It's working! I found the solution here:
 http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/epson-scanner-and-slackware-12-2-a-735662/

I had to adapt some names for my iscan files and the plugin, but except for that I just ran the commands he posted. I downloaded the rpm files I needed, did rpm2tgz, and then installed the files with installpkg.

I have a MAJOR scanning project coming up and I really, really wanted to be able to do it in Linux. Last April and May I had to scan around 100 photos for a DVD video of a slideshow with photos of my mother's and father's lives and I couldn't get the scanner working, so I had to do it in Windows. Thankfully I won't have to revert to Windows again for scanning.

Now I can try out VueScan to see if it's better enough to warrant the money.
--GrannyGeek

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 10:48:53 am »

Congratz!.

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 04:39:33 am »

Nice!
Pages: [1]
  Print