VectorLinux
July 26, 2014, 06:56:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mixer software?  (Read 3142 times)
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« on: May 29, 2010, 06:23:52 am »

My mother sings in a local chorale and they recently had a CD made of a performance they did in Seattle. Unfortunately, the moron who recorded the concert knew absolutely nothing about music and recorded a LOT of dead space onto the CD.

What I would like to do is clean things up. Is there a package out there that would allow me to do this, most importantly, taking a lot of the empty space out of each track, making the CD more in line with how the concert actually sounded?

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 06:33:08 am »

Audacity will do it. Rip the CD to wav files, import, edit, save back to wav and burn new tracks to disc.
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 06:42:00 am »

Thanks! Looks very promising. This shot should give you an idea of what I'm up against. I really should find this moron and slap him upside the head.

The concert is Mozart's Requiem and all that dead space does NOT belong at the beginning and end of each track. At best, there should be maybe a .5 second delay between songs.

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 07:07:03 am »

Audacity is a very capable sound editor. I used it to record radio programs and then cut out unwanted chatter. Some times I would fade out the music out when the DJ started talking too early.

Normally, an audio CD introduces a two second gap between tracks, which is inappropriate for live recordings. I found two ways around it. One is to make one continuous track in Audacity. This produces a very smooth result, but you can not skip between tracks. Another way is to burn the disc using DAO. This removes the gap, but I can still hear the transitions when I listen closely.
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 07:18:18 am »

I'm thinking of reworking each track, and then stitch it all together once I have everything sounding the way it should. I don't know why this idiot put the CD together the way he did. Wish I could get my hands on the master recording. Would make things SO much easier!

MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 09:22:11 am »

Audacity allows multiple options to "design" your output format. If you want a continuous track but a way to skip around on the CD then you can put named labels in the appropriate spots. I would have to simulate what I've done in the past to relate the specifics but since I was able to figure it out the process couldn't be too complex/difficult.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 12:47:49 pm »

I'm almost done with each track (17 in all!) and will be compiling a new CD shortly. I'll let you know how it goes. Smiley

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 02:28:59 pm »

Doesn't sound too bad!  Grin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: