VectorLinux
September 20, 2014, 01:43:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: babe in the woods  (Read 1500 times)
computard

« on: September 11, 2010, 09:03:42 pm »

I really feel like a little kid in hear, but this is ground zero for Vector knowledge, so Im hainging till you toss me or I learn, lol. With a lot of help, I finally got Vector to work on my puter, but with in 20 minutes, I seem to have broken it allready. I started checking out the task bar options and found that I could have more then one panel, thats cool. So I created a second panel and started loading it up to see what my options were. Of course I added "eyes", but the next one I added, having something to do with CPU usage failed me something terrible. I made one adjustment to the config, and the pop-up box froze on me. Was about 5 minutes before I realised I still had use of the rest of my system. So I started removing the "add-ons", but the CPU moniter pop-up was still there, and I couldnt "x" out of it. Then I really did it, I opened up the "panel manager" and highlighted panel 2, the one that I had just created, and removed it, LOL. Well now I dont have a panel anymore, dont have a start menure, nothing, lol. So I guess I get to test my newfound mastery for installing Vector and try again.

One thing that feels really nice, is Ive allways been afraid to mess up Windows, cause you have to buy it. With this, I can make as many mistakes as necassary to learn, I dont have to be worried about that, or at least, Im NOT worried about it anymore. Im still too knew to have anything to lose;)
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 10:26:13 pm »

It helps to have a 15 year old living with you.  I am regularly amazed at how quickly kids pick up on this stuff.

I doubt you need to reload linux, but reload is probably what I would do.  Having just put it on, you don't have much to lose.  I suggest just keeping it exactly as it appears when you upload it for a couple of decades, before trying to change things.  My experience is that if you need it, its on VL 6.0 as installed.  And if you need something that's not on the installed version, get it from gslapt (and no where else for at least 50 years).  And if you ignore this suggestion, which no doubt you will, then try to get whatever it is that you need from some slackware repository.

Good luck. I suspect that you will come to love VL 6.0, as I do.   And I am happy to note that you don't expect a problem-free experience.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
brokndodge

Linux is sooo HOT

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 05:02:26 pm »

Been there done that, the previous suggestion is the easiest one.  However, with xfce, right click on the desktop gives you the same menu as the "Menu" button.  With careful experimentation you can get things mostly back the way they were.

VL 7.0 Standard

brokndodge
- OSS is not a religion, it's the solution to buggy irresponsible coding -
Linux User# 494720
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 08:43:45 pm »

You can probably get your XFce  panel back by typing
xfce4-panel
in the Run box. Get the Run box either by using the Alt-F2 key or by doing Control-Escape to bring up the Desktop menu (like the Start menu), then click on the Run box and type in the command.

If the Panel (like the Taskbar) appears, log out and then back in, BUT when you log out, tell XFce to Save your settings. When you log in again, the panel should be back. The next time you log out, UNCHECK the Save box.

Be extremely cautious with that Kill command (xkill). You usually DON'T want to use it. It's much better to kill the process. The Kill command will end a program but very often, the process is still running and can cause problems. The htop command gives you easy access to processes and you can highlight one and hit F9. Another way to kill the process is to open a terminal and type
ps -e
to get a list of processes. You can then find the *number* of the offending process and type
kill 3456
or whatever the process number is. If the process refuses to quit, type
kill -9 3456
and it will usually be ended.

I realize this is probably too geeky for you at this stage, but I wanted you to know that there are ways to end things or fix things without doing a whole reinstallation. Reinstalling is a good learning exercise when you don't have much on your VL partition and so have nothing to lose. I kinow I've learned a lot by installing VectorLinux, though I can remember just one time when I reinstalled because of a mess I didn't know how to fix, and that was several years ago. However, because I am a tester of VL versions under development, I have done MANY installations and never fail to learn something.

>> One thing that feels really nice, is Ive allways been afraid to mess up Windows, cause you have to buy it. With this, I can make as many mistakes as necassary to learn, I dont have to be worried about that, or at least, Im NOT worried about it anymore. Im still too knew to have anything to lose;) >>

Why would you have to buy Windows if you messed it up? You should have a Restore CD, if you don't  have a retail copy of Windows, that may have come with your computer or that you can make yourself if all your computer has is a Restore partition. Using the Restore CD should get you back to the way your computer was when it left the factory.

Better yet, use an image-making program to make an image of your hard drive. Do this before you start your "experiments" and if the results are bad, simply restore the image and you'll be back exactly where you were before things went bad. You can get a free OEM copy of TrueImage from the manufacturer's Web site if you have a Western Digital, Seagate, or Maxtor hard drive or you can buy a copy of Acronis TrueImage. You can use images to restore your Linux installation, too, which preserves everything and makes it unnecessary to reinstall everything and get updates from the repos.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
computard

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 04:21:45 pm »

Hey Granny;)

"Why would you have to buy Windows if you messed it up? You should have a Restore CD, if you don't  have a retail copy of Windows, that may have come with your computer or that you can make yourself if all your computer has is a Restore partition. Using the Restore CD should get you back to the way your computer was when it left the factory."

I agree with you, problem is, you have to allready have some computer knowledge to get this far. Its kinda telling that MS doesnt include a clean copy of thier OS with computer purchases, all you get is a bloatware infested "snapshot" installed (if your lucky) on your hard drive from the store that sells you your computer.

I remember when I was a kid, (Im 33) I was given a commodor 64 with some various floppies and hardware, mostly low grade. I had a decent modem and would access a few BBS's locally. I remember when it was cool to be able to be in a "room" with and live chat to more then one person., lol. At any rate, most of the people that were "online" at that time had either the commodor 128 or something IBM compatible, clones, or Mackintoshes. My first computer was most peoples first, but most people had allready mosed to their second or third by then. Not the worst start, but I was allready a little behind. I played with it quite a bit, and LOVED it. I moderated a friends BBS with him, and even started looking into learning code. Then one day it hit me, (after realizing that I had the oldest computer of anyone I knew) that my family would not be able to afford for me to continue to learn the world of computers, and I simply started giving my time to other interests, and quite computers alltogether.

I was 29 before I could aford my own computer, a cheap laptop that I promptly destroyed "experimenting" with settings and discovering the wonderfull world of .... Well, lets just say I was newly single and had ZERO computer knowledge, lol. Funny thing is I had PAID for 2 different kinds of virus protectors, both with extra "support" (<---LOLOLOL) and still managed to have reps from zimbobway tell me that I was basically "jacked" with no recourse. I had no idea about a restore disk or partition, and had allready backed up several viruses and a bunch of randomly chosen settings. I even had a friend that had some puter smarts that laughed when he realised I had lost admisinstrator control on my lappy. Well, 2 months in, and time for a new puter, since this ones useless.

About a year later, I one 1800 dollars in gift cards at circut city from my work, and bought me a nice little HP laptop. It was nicer then most of my friends desktops at the time, and I was excited to get going. Again, I was not told that I could create a disk that would give me factory settings, nore was I suplied with a clean copy from MS. Thankfully I paid the extra 300 bucks for the 3 year warrenty, lol. About a year later, I got an instal disk from HP and was very disapointed that it came with all the same "vonage" advertisements loaded on it, grrrr. At any rate, a "friend" that I was staying with, in transition from a very demoralizing breakup, was dating another mutual friend, but keeping it secret, as she was in the middle of a divorce, and he was trying to "hook-up" with a different mutual friend. Well, one night she planes her revenge, and I'm the tool of her distruction. We go to a concert, and for "convience" reasons, she wants to just spend the night at her house. Well, even though nothing happened, he's pissed, and alone with my laptop..... Insurence doesnt cover jealous rage.

So after another year of not having a computer, I paid 40 bux for the box I have now. Used and very old. Im still new, have very little knowledge, and constantly feal overwhelmed. I spend at least a few minutes each day on Wikipedia learning about computer tearms et cetra, but each page requires me to open at least 5 more pages to try and understand what the hell Im reading in the first place. Someday, Ill have a working knowledge base, but probably not tomorrow, lol.

So to answer your question, I only just learned about the backup disk thingy well AFTER I had bought my second puter, and this ones used and very old, so I dont trust whats actually on my restore partition.

Another thing, with MS, my firefox actually redlined my mispelt words, but in Vector, it doesnt, hmmm. For now, it will just have to remaign another unsolved mystery. Just like "how come when I choose the option to 'set as desktop background' from the right click menue, nothing happens" and how to make a folder and transfer files to it with out copying them, grrr. Ive got a long way to go, I pick up relatively quickly, if Im looking from the right angle, but I have no Idea how to speed up the process.

Really awsome idea hear, (self depriciating lol) "would be nice to have a full on "newbie" section, where any question could be asked, and I, or the super rair version of me, wouldnt feal intimidated to learn. Dont get me wrong, google is helpful, if your willing and able to wade through tons of links that may or may not pertain to your cause, but having a place where its "ok" to be ignorent by life default would be comforting. I googled about the addon I was trying to install, and the answers sent me into a mini depression, I simply dont know all the jargon.

/end cry fest
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 04:37:46 am »

All Linux babes experience some pain growing up. The learning is very similar to the process they went through when they first started using computers. I know it took me years of studying, testing, and trial and error, before I could master my first MS machine. Learning Linux was quicker because of better understanding of computing, but I also found that old habits and assumptions got in the way and caused great frustration at times.

The "Vecorbie Section" of the forum (sub-text "There Is No Such Thing As A "Dumb Question"!) is intended to be the newbie area that you describe.

Spell checker (red underline) is availble for Firefox, I can't remember exactly what is involved. That would be a good question to ask in a separate thread in the section mentioned above.

Glad to have you here, hope you settle comfortably in with the rest of us.  Smiley
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 08:25:35 pm »

To get red underlining of misspelled words in Firefox go to Edit menu, Preferences, Advanced, General tab, put a checkmark at "Check my spelling as I type" under Browsing.

You can ask even the noobie-est questions in the Vectorbie section of the VL Forums. Actually, you can ask real noobie questions anywhere in the forums and we're supposed to be polite and as helpful as we can be, but if you're a little embarrassed, just post the question in Vectorbie.

I enjoyed reading your computer history. I was 45 before I ever touched a computer and I knew nothing whatever. Learning has been a slow process. I've been using Linux about 10 years and believe me, Linux was much less user friendly 10 and 9 and 8 and 7 years ago. Back then I'd get discouraged and remove Linux, but I couldn't resist the lure and kept trying again. With VectorLinux 4.2 I was hooked and have kept at it ever since, getting happier every day.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: