Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Cannot install VL from a USB drive  (Read 802 times)

Cannot install VL from a USB drive
« on: September 22, 2010, 12:23:39 pm »

I created a bootable USB drive from VL5.9.1-SOHO.iso using unetbootin-linux-471.  The system boots up fine, but the install step fails when it only searches the hard disk and dvd drive (which is broken) for the installation files.

I have tried VL6.0 (STD & Light) but couldn't resolve some video problems.  I installed those via the dvd drive which was working then.

Edit on 10/26/2010:
Maybe this question is too lame to even deserve a response.  Anyway, I thought I would share what I have found.  Initially, my machine was running VL6.0 Lite and I was trying to upgrade to VL6.0 SOHO.  Since I had a working machine, I was able to  complete the installation from the USB drive by first copying the VL6.0 SOHO ".iso" files to a partition on the hard drive.  However, I could not get either LILO or GRUB to work.  Now I didn't have a functioning system.  So, I created a VL5.9 SOHO installation USB drive.  When the installation failed because the installation files couldn't be found, I was given the option of a shell prompt (not available with the VL6.0 SOHO installation!).  From there I could mount the USB drive and the hard drive and copy the installation files (not the ".iso" files) from the USB drive to the hard drive.  I could have partitioned the hard drive if needed.  The installation went fairly smooth from there.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 04:44:10 pm by dgraczyk »