VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: The right place where to put an icon, etc.  (Read 736 times)

Alb

The right place where to put an icon, etc.
« on: September 17, 2010, 01:09:50 pm »

Hello,
I've just installed claws-mail, launched Update menu and all is OK but its icon is missing in the IceWM menu. I found it is in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/claws-mail.png and  claws-mail.desktop (in /usr/share/applications) points correctly there. I even copied claws-mail.png in /usr/share/pixmaps, edited claws-mail.desktop pointing the icon path to the new one, but in the IceWM menu the icon is still missing. What shall I do? Can you let me know the correct procedure?
P.S. Another question: my root partition space is: /dev/hdb2 4.1 GB total, 660,6 MB free (I've added some apps to my standard VL 6.0 Light installation). In order to have the system working all right, am I supposed to have more free space in it, or, in case of need I can make use of all the space?
Best Regards

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: The right place where to put an icon, etc.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 06:03:07 am »

Look in ~/.icewm in the menu files for the Claws entry. It will probably be menu-network. Examine the line containing "claws-mail".

Edit: Found it. The file /usr/share/applications/claws-mail.desktop has a DOS style character in the line for the icon.
As root, in a terminal run: "mcedit /usr/share/applications/claws-mail.desktop". On the line that starts with "Icon=..", find the characters "^M", which should be highlighted in black, and remove them. Save the file.

Next, open ~/.icewm/menu-network and remove the line for Claws. Save the file and run "Update Menu" again.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 07:25:57 am by nightflier »

Murdock

• Arenal Botanical Garden
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 10:12:59 am »

Play around over here a bit.
This guy has it down.
http://www.opensourcebistro.com
Install picasa via his instructions and you'll understand the whole menu/icon system. Ten minutes.

Alb

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 12:20:51 pm »

Hello,
In the meantime the claws-mail icon appeared in its own place in icewm menu. That was the consequence of a removal of an application followed by an 'update menu'. Thank you all. Cheerio!