VectorLinux
October 21, 2014, 02:15:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The right place where to put an icon, etc.  (Read 566 times)
Alb

« on: September 17, 2010, 12:09:50 pm »

Hello,
I've just installed claws-mail, launched Update menu and all is OK but its icon is missing in the IceWM menu. I found it is in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/claws-mail.png and  claws-mail.desktop (in /usr/share/applications) points correctly there. I even copied claws-mail.png in /usr/share/pixmaps, edited claws-mail.desktop pointing the icon path to the new one, but in the IceWM menu the icon is still missing. What shall I do? Can you let me know the correct procedure?
P.S. Another question: my root partition space is: /dev/hdb2 4.1 GB total, 660,6 MB free (I've added some apps to my standard VL 6.0 Light installation). In order to have the system working all right, am I supposed to have more free space in it, or, in case of need I can make use of all the space?
Best Regards
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 05:03:07 am »

Look in ~/.icewm in the menu files for the Claws entry. It will probably be menu-network. Examine the line containing "claws-mail".

Edit: Found it. The file /usr/share/applications/claws-mail.desktop has a DOS style character in the line for the icon.
As root, in a terminal run: "mcedit /usr/share/applications/claws-mail.desktop". On the line that starts with "Icon=..", find the characters "^M", which should be highlighted in black, and remove them. Save the file.

Next, open ~/.icewm/menu-network and remove the line for Claws. Save the file and run "Update Menu" again.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 06:25:57 am by nightflier » Logged
Murdock

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 09:12:59 am »

Play around over here a bit.
This guy has it down.
http://www.opensourcebistro.com
Install picasa via his instructions and you'll understand the whole menu/icon system. Ten minutes.

Alb

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 11:20:51 am »

Hello,
In the meantime the claws-mail icon appeared in its own place in icewm menu. That was the consequence of a removal of an application followed by an 'update menu'. Thank you all. Cheerio!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: