VectorLinux
July 30, 2014, 07:03:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: using vburn  (Read 989 times)
Alb

« on: September 21, 2010, 04:01:22 am »

Hello,
Can I use vburn to continue writing on a partially burned multisession CD R (last session done by means of brasero) ?
Best Regards
P.S. Does vburn have protection against buffer overflow?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 05:24:43 am »

Multi-session is not supported in vburn, but it does use burn-proof when available.

The program that does the actual writing is cdrdao. It is a command line utility that does support multi-session. Enter "man cdrdao" in a terminal for more information.

Alb

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 11:17:34 am »

Well, for multisession I could use k3b on a knoppix live cd, but what's about xcdroast? It should be able to burn multisession CD's. Is there a suitable (old) version of it for VectorLinux (CD only, not DVD)?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 03:56:14 pm »

Try these packages for xcdroast:
http://repository.slacky.eu/slackware-12.2/utilities/xcdroast/0.98alpha16/xcdroast-0.98alpha16-i486-2sl.tgz
http://repository.slacky.eu/slackware-12.2/libraries/gdk-pixbuf/0.22.0/gdk-pixbuf-0.22.0-i486-3sl.tgz
Alb

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 04:08:50 am »

Hello.
I opened, first, the gdk libraries and installed them. Then I opened xcdroast and noticed there are four directories: install, etc, usr and .
Can you let me know the right procedure to install them? I'm a beginner in such things and everything goes under my Desktop directory  Embarrassed
Alb

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 04:50:22 am »

I must correct myself as, at first, I took the two packeges you suggested me as if they were compressed archives. So I made a little mess. Immediately later I realized that I made a mistake so, as root, by terminal I installed the two of them by means of installpkg. So far, so good, but as soon as I started xcdroast a message of error appeared about the permissions of cdrecord that I found here:
vector://usr/bin
root:# ls -l cdrecord
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 2010-09-13 22:54 cdrecord -> wodim*
All that is needed for the first configuration of xcdroast (to enable all the users to use it).
What am I supposed to do now?
(besides I noticed that xcdroast is not included in icewm menus, yet)
Best Regards
P.S.
What to do about the search of faulty and/or orphaned packages, in order to always have a clean system?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 05:56:59 am »

Looks like you're learning a lot in your testing  Wink

There may be a conflict with xcdroast, as VL6 uses cdrkit instead of cdrtools. You can try removing cdrkit and installing cdrtools and see what happens.

The xcdroast package is not from the VL repository, so there may not be a menu entry included for it. Did you run "Update Menu" from the System menu?

Packages are tracked and maintained using gslapt (GUI) or slapt-get (command line).

If you did a manual extraction of a package .. probably gonna need manual removal, which is risky. I'd leave it alone. If you do what I did in my early stages of learning Linux, you will end up with a few re-installs before you get it right.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 05:58:42 am by nightflier » Logged
Alb

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 10:31:36 am »

I removed cdrkit and installed cdrtools, then started, by terminal command, xcdroast. This time I obtained this message: "Warning: Unable to load module: libpixbufloader-gif.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"  Huh (In the meantime a xcdroast message box appeared saying that it was looking for cdrom drives and froze in its search).
Tired out of that all, first I removed cdrtools and installed cdrkit again, then, I removed both xcdroast ... and gdk-pixbuf ...
The removal was performed all right and everything is now (or should be) OK.
All the operations were done by means of gslapt.
Best Regards
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 05:36:13 pm »

Looks like the problems that kept xcdroast from being included in Light in the first place are still there.

Commendations on your trouble-shooting and experimentation. Continue like this and you'll be Linux proficient in no time.

Next step up is K3B. It will add kdelibs to your system which will take up some space, but won't slow your system down unless you are actually using it. K3B is heavier than the likes of vburn, but it is well worth it if your system can run it.
Alb

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 01:38:39 am »

Hello,
I seldom use the CD writer and, usually, only to burn ISO images and/or multisession Data CD. That's why I am reluctant in installing k3b. It's excellent but beyond my needs. So, I'd like to deepen my knowledege of command line burning applications, even if I don't feel very comfortable in using them. I think, however, that it should be a good thing if somebody could make something similar to k3b, taking away all that is related to KDE.
(I don't like KDE so much and, in case I used a powerful computer I'd prefer Gnome, instead).
Best Regards
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 04:11:33 pm »

I seldom use the CD writer and, usually, only to burn ISO images and/or multisession Data CD. That's why I am reluctant in installing k3b. It's excellent but beyond my needs.

I doubt most users do more than burn data CDs and DVDs. A small number (of total users) burn ISOs to CD or DVD. About all I do are data CDs and DVDs and ISOs or make copies of DVDs. K3B does all of those very well and very easily, so I don't consider it overkill on that basis. If I were dealing with a low-resource computer, I'd probably want something lighter.

I think, however, that it should be a good thing if somebody could make something similar to k3b, taking away all that is related to KDE.
(I don't like KDE so much and, in case I used a powerful computer I'd prefer Gnome, instead).

If it were really similar to K3B, it would need libraries and would thus bulk up. Note that you don't need to use KDE itself and don't need a full KDE installation, just K3B and its dependencies. You could use Gnome and still use K3B if you wanted it. It's the same deal as installing and using K3B with IceWM or XFce as your desktop. I'm writing this under IceWM on my laptop and I burn disks with K3B, though I don't have all of KDE  installed, just what K3B needs. I also use K3B under XFce on my desktop computers.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Alb

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2010, 07:46:12 am »

Thank you very much for all the explanations  Smiley . However, in the meantime, I had a look on the Web and found this very interesting CD Writing Howto:
http://howto-pages.org/cdwriting.php (maybe you know already) it is inside http://linux.sgms-centre.com
Best Regards
P.S.
I'm using my daughter's old PC, Pentium III 500 MHz, 256 MB RAM, one HD 13 GB and another 20 GB, Nvidia 5200 Fx video card, Aureal Vortex Au8830 audio card, Acer X193w LCD monitor, Windows 98 SE and VectorLinux 6.0 Light OS in dual boot.
My own computer is an Apple Mac mini G4 PPC (about 1.5 MHz) , OS X 10.4 Tiger.
I'm using the two of them by means of a KVM switch.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: